There is never ever a time when it's OK Text while driving. Those that defend that practice are simply WRONG. there is no debate.
    Do you know how easy it is for me to text while taking a bend at 50 mph while eating a cheeseburger and driving with my knee? I will continue to text and drive and show all that are willing how to be a pro like me. I think I'll start with my 13 and 14 years old nieces and nephews freshly starting to drive. I love it. Watch out for me on the Houston freeways. Big blue Ford F-series 4x4. Out of my way! Honk honk!
    09-22-2010 12:46 AM
    You guys have the right to question my extream practices the moment you see a burn victim who was driving a car with his phone melted to his hand
    09-22-2010 12:57 AM
    Unfortunately, I've seen worse.
    Last edited by ghostface147; 09-22-2010 at 01:01 AM.
    09-22-2010 12:58 AM
    Then I hope that you can understand my position... Im not worried about getting Hurt... I'm more worried that I couldn't live with my self if I could have prevented some one getting Hurt and didn't.

In the medical feild almost everything you learn is reactive " someones already injured? Here's how to fix it" I prefer proactive " trust me I'll be the first one to Bungie jump but if there's someone roses life at risk by my action I won't stand for it
    09-22-2010 01:10 AM
    Easy or not gohsty baby. It is still wrong. Ain't no denying it. Truth is truth no matter how you wanna spin it. Honk honk
    09-22-2010 01:15 AM
    Let's call this thread dead? Can we all agree to not make anymore of an issue of it? Ghosty has his beliefs me and chobbs have our... In short we agree to disagree.
    09-22-2010 01:27 AM
    But gohsty started it! Man! I never get to have any fun! Hmmph!
    09-22-2010 01:31 AM
    You guys have the right to question my extream practices the moment you see a burn victim who was driving a car with his phone melted to his hand
    BS. I don't need to see anything of the sort to know that you are overstepping the bounds of the other person's civil liberties.

To be brutally honest, I don't worry so much about the 100 people or so per year that die in that manner- they're just thinning out the herd. What worries me more is that someone with such poor grammatical habits is working in an ER, with my life potentially in their hands. And save the "its the internet" bit. I don't care if its an informal message board, if you can't string basic sentences together on a consistent basis, you come off as a moron.
    09-22-2010 06:53 AM
    They've had these PSA's for every possible thing since the 70's...eating while driving, talking on the phone while driving, heck...even when navigation systems came out they had PSA's about how the distraction would cause you to have awful/fatal accidents.

People will move on from it and find something new to ***** about in the future...see you then.

And yes, i text while i drive.
    09-22-2010 07:54 AM
    There are a large amount of people that don't die from this careless act. Alot of people end up being disabled and who gets to support them? You and me in the form of taxes and higher insurance rates.

People will not move on from this until it stops. It is just as dangerous as drunk driving. The data suggests that it is much worse than merely talking on the phone. I really hope that texters don't have to learn their lesson the hard way but learn your lesson, you will. Sooner or later. Darwin Rules!

I am surprised that people on a smart phone site would even admit to texting while driving. That is so much more moronic that bad punctuation.
    09-22-2010 10:49 AM
    You live in your world and do what you feel is right. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I live in my world where I feel what I do is right. Is it wrong? Depends on who you ask. No silly law is going to stop anyone from texting and as the kids today grow and become drivers, texting and driving will only get higher. You can only enforce your morals upon your own children. They don't see you text and drive while developing at a young age, chances are very high they won't either.

Now there are proven studies that show that some people's brains are wired differently that would allow them multitask easier than others. A great example is a study where a group of people were selected to watch a video. In this video, a group of people were passing a ball around for a little bit as some guy wearing a gorilla costume walked in and got in the middle of them, looked at the camera and then walked away. Several people in the group watching it didn't even see the man in the gorilla suit while the rest did. Those people who didn't see it are probably the ones who can't text and drive. Does that make it alright to text and drive? Of course not, but since I am capable of multitasking, why not?

The bottom line is this, drive defensively to the best of your nature. Yes drunk driving kills, yes texting while driving kills, but so do sober and non-texting people. It's the cost of living. We live in an age where technology is becoming increasingly mobile and it's only going to get more involved in our lives. You have two choices, adapt or live in a cave where you are afraid to drive.

I am more surprised that people with smartphones don't text and drive. It's a smartphone, use it to it's full advantage when possible.
    09-22-2010 11:07 AM
    and back to my previous suggestion:

lets call it a dead topic... neither of you are going to agree. so stop trying.
    09-22-2010 11:14 AM
    We can back and forth as we wish. No one is being disrespectful or derogatory towards each other. You can also go ahead and stop visiting this thread if it bothers you that much. Until a mod closes it or I get bored with the topic, I'll be checking in and responding.
    09-22-2010 11:21 AM
    I think your taking this grammar thing a little to far. Calling people morons on a forum makes you more of a moron then bad grammar my friend. I don't agree with him taking the drivers phone..... I actually agreed with your point more...... But you need serious help if your so worried about grammar. And yea it is the "internet" this might surprise you but most don't care about grammar on the net.
    And seriously if your SOOOO concerned about grammar maybe you shouldn't be texting when driving

BS. I don't need to see anything of the sort to know that you are overstepping the bounds of the other person's civil liberties.

To be brutally honest, I don't worry so much about the 100 people or so per year that die in that manner- they're just thinning out the herd. What worries me more is that someone with such poor grammatical habits is working in an ER, with my life potentially in their hands. And save the "its the internet" bit. I don't care if its an informal message board, if you can't string basic sentences together on a consistent basis, you come off as a moron.
    09-22-2010 11:27 AM
    Ghosty
    All of the studies show that everyone, yes everyone, that texts while driving is at a higher risk of being in an accident, even your so called multitaskers. Most are up to 5 times as likely to be in an accident. Please tell me what on God's green is so important to raise that risk even .01%. I guarantee anything that what you are going to text can wait till your not driving. And if it can't you can pull over any time. Why is this such a debate? Stop texting while driving, no one loses everyone wins. Text while driving someone will lose.

Even if your that special person that can text and drive with no additional risk ( does not exist) should you? No! Because others want to be that special person too. People would want to emulate you and sadly would find out the hard way that they are not.
    Last edited by chobbs1; 09-22-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    09-22-2010 11:52 AM
    You can be distracted by children in the car, which in turn can result in a fatal accident...does this make driving with children in the car the same as driving drunk?

To associate drunk drivers and those who do other things while driving (text, talk, eat, etc) is asinine, period.

Have you ever changed a radio station on your car radio while driving? Or reached in the back seat to grab something and took your eyes off the road? In these instances should one be compared to a drunk driver? If you think so, you're foolish and a hypocrite.

As a law enforcement officer, I spend most of my days on the road, and the truth is, most of the accidents that occur happen because most people on the road don't have the first clue on how to react offensively to a dangerous situation...those of you who want to support the no texting while driving cause and accuse people of being dangerous drivers should focus on education and reaction vs just texting, I guarantee you that it'll save more lives AND, in the effort of killing two birds with one stone, it will keep those who can't mentally multitask well enough to BE safe while texting and driving, you'll keep them too busy observing and focusing to want to text while they drive!
    Mustang5Oh likes this.
    09-22-2010 12:01 PM
    Well said I agree with this 100%

You can be distracted by children in the car, which in turn can result in a fatal accident...does this make driving with children in the car the same as driving drunk?

To associate drunk drivers and those who do other things while driving (text, talk, eat, etc) is asinine, period.

Have you ever changed a radio station on your car radio while driving? Or reached in the back seat to grab something and took your eyes off the road? In these instances should one be compared to a drunk driver? If you think so, you're foolish and a hypocrite.

As a law enforcement officer, I spend most of my days on the road, and the truth is, most of the accidents that occur happen because most people on the road don't have the first clue on how to react offensively to a dangerous situation...those of you who want to support the no texting while driving cause and accuse people of being dangerous drivers should focus on education and reaction vs just texting, I guarantee you that it'll save more lives AND, in the effort of killing two birds with one stone, it will keep those who can't mentally multitask well enough to BE safe while texting and driving, you'll keep them too busy observing and focusing to want to text while they drive!
    09-22-2010 12:14 PM
    Also, just to get the facts out there, there are a million studies showing a million variants of factors which decrease your ability to drive safely...

One in particular studied the effects of men who have consumed large quantities of salt before driving...their increased blood pressure and metabolism has shown a decrease in reaction times of the brain during alert response situations...one example being driving a car.

So if you want to quote studies, take a look at how many there are in which driving ability and alertness were the studies main results.
    09-22-2010 12:17 PM
    Ghosty
    All of the studies show that everyone, yes everyone, that texts while driving is at a higher risk of being in an accident, even your so called multitaskers. Most are up to 5 times as likely to be in an accident. Please tell me what on God's green is so important to raise that risk even .01%. I guarantee anything that what you are going to text can wait till your not driving. And if it can't you can pull over any time. Why is this such a debate? Stop texting while driving, no one loses everyone wins. Text while driving someone will lose.

Even if your that special person that can text and drive with no additional risk ( does not exist) should you? No! Because others want to be that special person too. People would want to emulate you and sadly would find out the hard way that they are not.

See, a rational response without any issues. Someone I can communicate with. I think that if I got a text that said my parents died, I would answer and say what happened. Or that a spouse is having a baby, or a lot of different things. You cannot tell me that you have never done anything at all that has increased your risk ever. Ever change the radio station? Or a kid screaming in the back while you reached around to slap them?

There are distractions no matter what. We all take risks in our lives driving. You choose yours, I choose mine. Just remember, if you're ever in Houston....watch out for me. lol
    09-22-2010 12:27 PM
    I think your taking this grammar thing a little to far. Calling people morons on a forum makes you more of a moron then bad grammar my friend. I don't agree with him taking the drivers phone..... I actually agreed with your point more...... But you need serious help if your so worried about grammar. And yea it is the "internet" this might surprise you but most don't care about grammar on the net.
    And seriously if your SOOOO concerned about grammar maybe you shouldn't be texting when driving
    Well, I guess I have to comment on your lack of comprehension skills, as well. My stance in this thread all along is that texting while driving is as dumb as drinking and driving. Also, I didn't call the poster a moron, I said that they come off as one because they can't string one sentence together correctly. So save your for a topic that you can actually understand.

Say what you want about the lax nature of an internet message board, but no matter where you are or what you're doing- the manner in which you do it speaks of you as a person. So, if a person wants to continually use bad grammar in posts they shouldn't be offended when others believe them to be an *****.
    Last edited by stkywik; 09-22-2010 at 12:38 PM.
    09-22-2010 12:35 PM
    Your trying to hard.... is grammar the only thing you have going for yourself?
    Bottom line is no one here needs You to point out grammar mistakes . And your point of view of "people come off like morons" because they didn't wright a post like they would a legal document is just ridiculous.

If you don't like a persons grammar or way of speaking pass to the next post. Or join a grammar forum and enjoy correcting people.

We are talking about texting when driving and your crying about grammar... before you advise people of there lack comprehension...learn how to focus and stay on topic.

Can't focus, extremely concerned about grammar.... I really hope you NEVER text an drive

Well, I guess I have to comment on your lack of comprehension skills, as well. My stance in this thread all along is that texting while driving is as dumb as drinking and driving. Also, I didn't call the poster a moron, I said that they come off as one because they can't string one sentence together correctly. So save your for a topic that you can actually understand.

Say what you want about the lax nature of an internet message board, but no matter where you are or what you're doing- the manner in which you do it speaks of you as a person. So, if a person wants to continually use bad grammar in posts they shouldn't be offended when others believe them to be an *****.
    Last edited by weblou; 09-22-2010 at 03:04 PM.
    09-22-2010 12:57 PM
    I really hate going off topic but the relation to a person's online grammar in comparison with their real life intelligence level is like comparing a person's morality based on the choices they make while playing grand theft auto on the xbox.

The fact of the matter is, when you steer off into that type of response instead of continually backing your argument, it just goes against your credibility.
    09-22-2010 02:43 PM
    All distractions are a choice, kids in the back seat changing a radio station and so forth, my point is why choose to be distracted. All of these things can be eliminated. You can ignore the kids turn off the radio or let it play and you can choose not to text. Why do people feel it is their right to increase the risk of an accident that would involve the people around you?

To the point about proper response in an emergency... That is a totally different topic. My point is if you can stay focused and increase your response time then you'll be less likely to make an inappropriate emergency maneuver.

Again this post was not about all if these other distractions, this post was about people choosing to text while driving. It is a bad choice. Even if my spouse were having a baby, that text will wait. By waiting a few minutes I might prevent that child from being fatherless

Let's stay on topic. Comparisons to other distractions are fine but let's not forget that we're talking about a text that can be ignored and when you are texting the response time has been compared to that of a drunk driver. And everyones response time is worse while texting. Some are worse than others, true. How does that make me a hypocrite or asinine?

When you are driving a 3000lb hunk of metal and you choose not to focus on it's trajectory it turns into a weapon rather than a vehicle.
    Last edited by chobbs1; 09-22-2010 at 03:36 PM.
    09-22-2010 03:30 PM
    Texting And Driving May Not Lead To More Crashes
    Last edited by ghostface147; 09-22-2010 at 05:12 PM.
    09-22-2010 04:09 PM
    You're asinine by comparing those who text and drive to those that drink and drive...and a hypocrite to discredit/ignore things you probably do Yourself that can be equally or more so distracting than texting and driving, sure, the post is about texting and driving but you're in here calling out those that do it like you're a saint driver...did you know that studies have shown if your hands arnt at 10 and 2 that you're more likely to respond in steering inaccurately, thus standing a higher chance of having an accident?

Now be honest with yourself, do you drive at 10 and 2 100% of the time? If not, you're knowingly creating a potential fatal accident! Watch out world!

Bottom line is bud, if you feel so strongly about it, don't do it...people still don't wear seatbelts all the time, which I think is ridiculous, but I'm not out there trying to save the world on a white stalion, sword in hand calling them stupid, it is what it is.
    09-22-2010 05:53 PM
101 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD