How to confirm if your iPhone 4 is factory unlocked?

The Guy#CB

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
I bought an iPhone 4 in Canada from the Apple store and gave it to my brother who was travelling abroad. The iPhone wouldn't work for him.

Any way for me to confirm if the phone is factory Unlocked or not?

Want to find out if the store made a mistake and sold me a locked phone for full price.

Thanks in advance!

The Guy#CB

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
So after some careful investigation, turns out the phone I have doesn't have the same S/N as what was on the receipt.
Turns out that the Sales associate rang in a different S/N and handed me different hardware.

So after spending an hour with Apple tech support, who were trying to convince me that Canadian Apple stores DO NOT sell unlocked phones, I got an answer to a simple question....

Question: "According to your system, is this S/N ever been sold?"
Answer: "No."

Called the Apple store after that and they are going to sort it out.

What a pain!
And all this time I thought it was a locked phone that Apple sold to me by mistake, whereas it was just a phone which was "Never sold" according to Apple's system, hence not activating.

Thought I would fill you in as to why I needed to determine if my phone was locked or not. (and also in case anyone else has the same issue.)

The Guy#CB

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
Finally got the issue resolved.

After repeatedly telling me "it will be resolved before end of business day", I finally got frustrated and told them that if they don't have it resolved today, then I want the contact information for the district manager. They didn't reply for a few days and eventually I got a "Return" and "Resale" email from apple. Then i got a call back from the store associate saying the issue had been resolved.

I told him I was very disappointed with Apple's service and he didn't have much to say.

Such a painful experience.