I was at a camp ground/dunes and I came across and iPhone 4 in perfect condition. In a case with a skin over the screen. This would be great if I didnt already own an iPhone 4 along with the rest of my household. I have no need for it.

The phone was locked when I found it. The service was already cut or it has been remotely wiped cause the screen was asking me to connect to iTunes.

I called my local At&t store and they said they couldn't help me. Not sure if that is a legal thing they cant get involved.

I was able to restore the phone with Recovery Mode and it works fine. I would like to reunite it to the owner. Any recommendations anybody. Its been 3 weeks since I have found it.

I did put up a craigslist posting but all I have received is spammers trying to get a free phone. (no one can match the serial number) Anybody recommend anything?

Also did try I lost my iPhone - I found your iPhone - iPhone Lost & Found Wallpaper/Personalization Service - Home! and nothing yet (2weeks and counting)
    09-14-2010 03:34 AM
    You've tried to do the right thing, and I commend you for that. The only other thing I can think of is contacting your nearest Apple store and see if they can track down the owner by the serial number. If they can't, then if I were you I'd just sell it. Since all avenues have already been attempted, might as well.
    09-14-2010 04:42 AM
    Thanks I'm trying to do the right thing.

Where I live we are getting an Apple Store within the next 4 weeks. Construction has started and it looks to be almost done. I just don't think Apple will disclose that information to me if I request it anyways. I'm not sure if I would want them to disclose my info to anybody else even if it meant to get my iPhone back.

I just don't want to drop it off at the police department or At&t Store and someone say hey I could really use an iPhone 4 or cash and sell it. I will hold on to it a bit longer and then I will decide what to do with it if the owner doesn't get in contact with me.
    09-14-2010 05:26 AM
    get a prepay sim in it, leave the prepay number with the apple store and the serial number, if and when they track down the owner ask apple to give them the prepay number to contact you, when the alleged owner gets in touch ask if they know where they lost it or if they have a rough idea, if all seems well meet the owner somewhere and hand the phone over
    09-14-2010 05:44 AM
    Yea I'm not gonna spend much more time finding the owner let alone spend money on pre paid SIM. Not that I don't want find him/her/it but I have a life and I'm not gonna work much harder at this. If I was them I would have not remotely wiped it. That is basically your only chance of getting it back. Then again it might have been out for days so I don't know.

I will give it 2 more weeks Max but I have put my efforts out there now its the owners turn.
    09-14-2010 06:07 AM
    over here in the uk pre-pay sims are available for free almost anywhere, hence why i suggested it

plus you wouldn't need to put money on it as it's just for them to call you
    09-14-2010 06:36 AM
    Oh not in the US as far as I know. We do have prepaid but no like the UK pre pay
    09-14-2010 06:49 AM
    That's pretty cool that you tried so many ways to get the phone back. The only thing i may have tried (but is probably way too late to now) would be to make up a quick sign (some marker on posterboard) and put it where you found it with a contact number. It may be a little far fetched, but who knows. They may have retraced their steps. I would say you've gone above and beyond normal measures and if at&t/apple won't help then either give it to someone you know who could use it, or sell it.
    09-14-2010 07:04 AM
    yeh my wife could do with one lol
    09-14-2010 07:23 AM
    No response after 30 days and it's yours.
    09-14-2010 08:57 AM
    No response after 30 days and it's yours.
    Maybe I should call apple and tell them I found it so I dont end up like Jason Chen.
    09-14-2010 09:28 AM
    I lost it. It's mine. Give it to me.
    Last edited by Watcher; 09-14-2010 at 09:54 AM.
    09-14-2010 09:51 AM
    Most police departments will take your information and hold the product for 30 days, then they would release it back to you. but I doubt however any one is going to file a police report for a lost phone, unless they need the report for an insurance claim.

Since you placed an ad on Craigslist for FOUND iphone and nobody can identify it then its yours after 30 days.
    Last edited by slalomskie; 09-14-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    09-14-2010 10:46 AM
    Ill buy it!!!!!
    09-14-2010 10:57 AM
    Why not bring it to the local authorities by the camp?
    09-14-2010 01:06 PM
    It's really nice to see someone try to return others merchandise & do the right thing, especially something that so many people want. I commend you!

When you are done being a good citizen & waiting for the owner to return, please keep me in mind as a potential buyer, cause my 3g is wanting me to upgrade it, however since I work for a certain place, I'm having to wait until the demand for the iphone 4 goes down before I can get one and it's starting to feel like eternity..poor me :-(
    09-14-2010 02:47 PM
    While I was on the phone with Apple today I broached the subject and she told me that they just tell the customer to take the phone to the police.
    websyndicate likes this.
    09-14-2010 05:11 PM
    You've done what you can...bottom line, lucky day for you, you may end up with a nice chunk of change in your pocket if you sell it...ORRRR...if you have someone close that doesnt have an iPhone and you feel like paying it forward, viola!
    09-14-2010 06:47 PM
    Also... the phone number will still show up.

So you can still find the owner. Whether the sim is on or off.

Settings > Phone

You can then call the owner yourself as I'm sure it isn't still
    suspended and they have a new phone or have AT&T use
    that number to see other numbers on the account, whether
    it's another wireless number or the home phone.
    09-14-2010 07:43 PM
    i'll give u my wifes 3GS and cash for it. (thats if the owner doesnt show up) PM me if you want
    09-14-2010 11:28 PM
    Also... the phone number will still show up.

So you can still find the owner. Whether the sim is on or off.

Settings > Phone

You can then call the owner yourself as I'm sure it isn't still
    suspended and they have a new phone or have AT&T use
    that number to see other numbers on the account, whether
    it's another wireless number or the home phone.
    It was locked I couldn't get into it. When I connected it to iTunes it want the pass code before it would do anything even register it in iTunes. I reformatted already.

Like I said I will wait for a another week or so and then give it to my wife. She has a 3GS 32GB and she never uses all the space on it anyways. She will have a new iPhone 4 16GB.

This would have been a better if I found a White iPhone 4.
    09-15-2010 02:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD