Yes. Before the 4.1 update, the screen would always activate if I trapped the phone between my shoulder and ear (in order to use both hands for a moment).

Now the screen stays off.
    09-14-2010 01:26 PM
    YES finally I can talk on my iPhone without my face shutting down the call. Now my calls are only dropped because of ATT...Now Ill I want is the 4.1 JB to be released...
    09-14-2010 01:28 PM
    On the phone with Apple support and we are restoring as NEW, will let you know how it comes out.
    09-14-2010 01:44 PM
    I never noticed the proximity sensor issue until the 4.1 update. Now I can turn the screen on/off by moving the iPhone by just a few millimeters or by changing its angle during a call. Not too big an issue since I hold it far enough away to not touch any buttons, but it's still not a fix for me.
    09-14-2010 02:43 PM
    Mines fixed. The only one time it came up with the screen lit was because sunlight was leaking between my cheek and the screen itself. Which is acceptable. If they make it anymore sensitive to darkness itll be turning off on you all the time dont you think?
    four4usc likes this.
    09-14-2010 03:07 PM
    Mine still doesnt work... i mostly use a head set but i would still like it to work those few times i use it.... wonder if i should swap it
    09-14-2010 04:11 PM
    my proximity sensor has been working great since the update. i have however noticed that when i remove the phone from my face it take about a half a second before the screen comes back.
    09-14-2010 04:21 PM
    my phone is new just got it last week. I noticed the issue with 4.02 (phone shipped with this) so I upgraded to 4.1 the day it came out. Now the screen flashes bright and dim alot while talking on the phone with it up to my ear. Not all the time but i notice it quite a bit. That has to hurt battery power which I am surprised isn't as good as I thought it would be coming from an iphone 3g.
    09-14-2010 04:48 PM
    Woo - Hooo, I get to make an appointment at the apple store to swap out my phone...
    either that or pay $29.00 to have them ship me a new one and send them mine back.

We did restore as new so I lost all the setups I did and game notifications and it still didn't work. The first call I made after the restore the screen kept flasing on and off every 2 seconds.
    09-14-2010 04:52 PM
    didn't have any proximity issues until I upgraded. now I can't make a call with out pressing buttons with my cheek.

pretty lame if you ask me.
    09-14-2010 10:37 PM
    my proximity sensor has been working great since the update. i have however noticed that when i remove the phone from my face it take about a half a second before the screen comes back.
    Yep. Same here. As if they changed the calculations...
    09-14-2010 11:29 PM
    I have an appointment at the Genius Bar on Friday afternoon. Perhaps there is hope with a replacement phone. I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, very frustrating to talk on the phone.
    09-15-2010 01:54 PM
    I have an appointment at the Genius Bar on Friday afternoon. Perhaps there is hope with a replacement phone. I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, very frustrating to talk on the phone.
    I guess we are the few that still use a mobile phone to make phone calls LOL
    09-15-2010 02:11 PM
    Mine may be SLIGHTLY better after the update to 4.1 (or just wishful thinking), but it is definitely not fixed.
    09-15-2010 03:56 PM
    I guess we are the few that still use a mobile phone to make phone calls LOL
    I think you are right. I actually have a bluetooth system in my vehicle but when I am walking around the town, it is still very disconcerting.

I just got my appointment moved up to tomorrow (Thursday) from Friday. Hopefully I will know something soon.
    four4usc likes this.
    09-15-2010 07:55 PM
    I have the Blue Ant S4 in the car. Great bluetooth thats for sure! Also I just tested mine out again and the proximity sensor works just like my 3G did. Called my voicemail and held it to my ear and evern held the phone with my face/shoulder and the screen did not turn on. Like stated above it takes a tiny tiny bit longer for screen to come back on after I move it far enough away from my face but it's not long enough to be annoying.
    09-16-2010 01:59 AM
    My proximity sensor is still bugging out!!! Well not still, it was fine before 4.1, now all of a sudden if I move the phone on my cheek the call will hang up. What should I do?
    09-16-2010 01:59 PM
    I haven't had any issues with the proximity sensor with 4.0.1 yet
    09-17-2010 02:13 AM
    I haven't had any issues with the proximity sensor with 4.0.1 yet
    Well that's great, but this is about 4.1......not 4.0.1.
    09-17-2010 09:51 AM
    Got my new phone last night. So far no issues yet.
    09-17-2010 01:09 PM
    OK, I started this discussion, so I guess I should conclude the saga. I went to the Genius Bar yesterday afternoon and after checking the phone out and doing some observation, all that could be recommended was to replace the hardware. I agreed and so the hardware is replaced. I am still trying to get my apps back where I want them!!!

The bottom line is that I still have proximity Sensor issues. If my phone is not held tight up to my ear, the screen comes to life and invariably either face time or touch tones or muting occurs. Never (ever) had this problem with the 3G or 3GS, so I guess Apple still has work to do. I will give them until 4.2, then go get another unit in hopes they fix the issue.

Meanwhile, hold your phone tightly up to your ear and don't let it tip. That seems to help even though it is not the real world.

Happy Friday
    09-17-2010 03:59 PM
    I never had problems with prox sensor before 4.1. Now when I'm on a call holding the phone to my face, it dials random contacts. VERY ANNOYING.
    09-18-2010 07:43 AM
    I'm still on 4.0.1 for JB reasons and haven't had any issues with the proximity sensor...it works perfectly.

How widespread is this issue?
    09-18-2010 09:08 AM
    I'm on 4.1 and I'm still having the same proximity issues!! I guess there really was no fix for this and again Apple made up some B.S. just to try and keep everyone quiet. Sucks everytime I'm on a call my face ends up turning on the dialer and I hear beeps or I end up turning face time on, this is just ridiculous that such an advanced phone like the iP4 cant even get the proximity sensor right......
    09-18-2010 09:25 AM
    I never had the proximity issue until AFTER i updated to 4.1. Now when i talk my screen randomly comes on and goes off. I've still haven't muted or dropped a call, but it is rather distracting and annoying to catch the screen flashing out of the corner of my eye all the time.

Anyone have any ideas why? or what could help?
    four4usc likes this.
    09-20-2010 07:46 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD