In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that my devices "sounds" will disappear. Not the ring tones...but the lock sound, keypad clicks and the trill sound the phone makes when the USB is plugged for charging. The sounds return after a hard reboot...but mysteriously disappear later without warning.

What's the deal? I really don't want the supreme hassle of sending my phone in for service...and my nearest Apple store is over 3-hours away.
    09-06-2010 03:39 PM
    What version iOS?
    09-06-2010 04:00 PM
    What version iOS?

Why? Is this a known bug with this version? Will this be fixed with 4.1?
    09-06-2010 04:33 PM
    No, I don't believe that's a 4.x bug. I think that has more to do with RAM, usually. On my 3GS, if my memory was low, sometimes I'd notice some of my sounds would disappear. Which iPhone do you have?
    09-06-2010 04:40 PM
    No, I don't believe that's a 4.x bug. I think that has more to do with RAM, usually. On my 3GS, if my memory was low, sometimes I'd notice some of my sounds would disappear. Which iPhone do you have?
    iPhone 4

How do I clear up some memory?
    09-06-2010 04:48 PM
    Either you can ask the phone in a nice tone of voice to clear up your memory and say please or use free memory to do it for you from the App store. Being an iPhone 4, I doubt you have memory issues.
    09-06-2010 05:41 PM
    I highly doubt it's a memory issue then. It rarely happened on my 3GS, and it's definitely never happened to me on my 4, and I very rarely clear my memory. I would do the normal fix-its first: reset settings, restore, restore as new. If all else fails, take it to Apple.
    09-06-2010 06:13 PM
    I have had sounds drop as well not all the time to the point that I needed to reboot the phone but I have definitely noticed dropped sounds
    09-06-2010 08:11 PM
    Thanks for the help, guys! I did a full reset of all settings from the handheld, and everything seems fine...all sounds are audible, at least for now!

Hope everything stays cool. I'm not into a 7hr. roadtrip to St. Louis just to exchange a phone. Been there...done that twice!
    09-06-2010 08:58 PM
    I've had this same issue and have just rebooted the phone. As an old blackberry user, I'm all-too-well acquainted with that method of erasing issues...
    09-06-2010 10:03 PM
    I've had this same issue and have just rebooted the phone. As an old blackberry user, I'm all-too-well acquainted with that method of erasing issues...
    Yeah, on a BB...there are virtually no problems that a battery-pull won't cure.

And, I did the same as you...but the problem came back within a few minutes over and over. Now, on the morning-after a reset, my sounds are still intact so I guess that's the real fix!
    09-07-2010 10:33 AM
    I had the same issue with my 3G after it was dropped in a sink full of water...i snagged it out not even a second after it happened, and after a few minutes of terror, it started working fine again...but after that happened, up to the day i sold it and got the 4, the sounds would randomly drop out from the same things you mentioned, i even had a few moments where the sms tone would repeat over and over, and then not work at all...

Has it ever been exposed to moisture or any water damage?
    09-07-2010 12:13 PM
    On my iphone 4 i have lost keyboard click sounds thats about it. That only happened two or three times, then it fixes itself a couple minutes later, i didnt reset it or shut it off either.
    09-07-2010 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD