New iPhone Ringtones/SMS Tones

elijahpr

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted already (can't seem to find a thread) but when do ya'll think we'll get more, or different ringtones on the iPhone? Four years later and we still have to choose from things like a duck, motorcycle, or a dog barking. Same with the SMS tones. I know it takes all of two seconds to create a ringtone from a song in iTunes, but I just find it odd that Apple is adding things like a Compass while neglecting the sounds of the iPhone. I've been using the Old Phone ringtone and the Droid SMS tones from Cydia, but it'd be nice to have some new ones from Apple.

Just wondering what you guys think.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
thats the one thing I miss about blackberry on blackberry you can change a sound for anything but on the iphone its very limited

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I wish we could customize all the sounds and themes as well for the iPhone. Would make it a lot more personal and fun.

Miggs2002

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah...and I love that Sonar tone on my old BB :(

When's a jb for 4.1 coming out? :D
the 4.1 software from apple isn't out yet is it?

i too am waiting for the JB purely for the options of customizing all the sounds

my first iPhone nearly went in the bin after three days until i discovered the JB, i think if apple made the phone more customizable then people may stop developing JB's

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I posted the instructions some time ago in a thread that's now archived so I'll post them again. I have also tried this in iTunes 10 just to confirm that it still works.

How To Make Music Files Into iPhone Ringtones with iTunes

First off, the ringtone cannot be over 40 sec. long.

In iTunes, select the song you want to have as a ringtone, right-click "Get Info" go to "Options" and change the start and stop time accordingly to what you want to hear (remember 40 seconds) and hit "OK".

Right-click the same file and "Convert selection to AAC".

Now, right-click and copy the new file to your desktop and change the extension of the file .m4a to .m4r (which is what iTunes would recognize as a ringtone file).

Within iTunes, remove the created file by deleting it but be sure to press "Keep Files".

Move this file to your iTunes Music folder in the Ringtones category if you wish. And just double-click on the .m4r file and iTunes should open up and you will notice on the left hand side that it belongs to the "Ringtones" category.

Return to iTunes and remove the 40 sec stop time in "Options" on your original file and click "OK".

Last edited:

Miggs2002

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
ok i have tried this over and over and i do not have/cannot see "convert to aac" does it only work with files that have been paid for from the store?

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I miss my sidekick for this reason. Say what you will, but it was a good phone. I loved being able to change themes really easily and with sidekick themes you didn't have to worry about your icons. All the icons changed, sounds, and even the trackball lights. Really wish the iPhone at least allowed me to have different email/im/text sounds.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I miss my sidekick for this reason. Say what you will, but it was a good phone. I loved being able to change themes really easily and with sidekick themes you didn't have to worry about your icons. All the icons changed, sounds, and even the trackball lights. Really wish the iPhone at least allowed me to have different email/im/text sounds.
Yes, I have a friend that loved her Sidekick but had to abandon it due to it malfunctioning. She has the LG Ally and very much misses her Sidekick.

Miggs2002

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
ok i have managed to do it but on my itunes i had to left click the tune i had in itunes music library, then go to the top left and select advanced, in there the fifth option down was create AAC version, with that clicked it then gave me a duplicate of the tune with the name .....ringtone

thanks for pointing me towards where it was, i have read on many forums for the iPhone that this can no longer be done, now i know for a fact that it CAN

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
You can only apply these when you jailbreak, otherwise, it's not possible.

very frustrating. i know a lot of people who jailbreak for this reason alone

does Lord Jobs really think people are happy with the Tri-tone, Chime, Glass, Horn, Bell & Electronic tones..

i wonder which sms tone he uses?

Miggs2002

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
it wouldn't surprise me if he either jailbreaks his or he has his own custom made iPhone, saying that he might even use a BB lol

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
ok i have managed to do it but on my itunes i had to left click the tune i had in itunes music library, then go to the top left and select advanced, in there the fifth option down was create AAC version, with that clicked it then gave me a duplicate of the tune with the name .....ringtone

thanks for pointing me towards where it was, i have read on many forums for the iPhone that this can no longer be done, now i know for a fact that it CAN

Partially true. iTunes 10 has apparently taken away this function.

If you still have an older version of iTunes you're good to go.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal