iPhone 4 scratches?

alexhasfun28

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, i just ordered an iPhone 4 yesterday. And was wondering, from those people who are iPhone 4 owners, is there a scratch on your glossy device? If there is, how big? How sensitive is it to get one? Do you think you can maybe throw in some pictures?

Thanks, Alex :)

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
I have a couple of big scratches on the antenna. I dropped my phone on a driveway. There are also a few dozen tiny scratches from being in my pocket with coins. The glass on both sides is pristine though. I don't think it's easy to scratch the glass.

alexhasfun28

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a couple of big scratches on the antenna. I dropped my phone on a driveway. There are also a few dozen tiny scratches from being in my pocket with coins. The glass on both sides is pristine though. I don't think it's easy to scratch the glass.

So it's easier to scratch the stainless steal than glass? I actually tried that in the store, and scratching the stainless steal is like scratching the plastic with a key. So i agree with you.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
So it's easier to scratch the stainless steal than glass? I actually tried that in the store, and scratching the stainless steal is like scratching the plastic with a key. So i agree with you.

To be honest, the scratches are barely noticeable since the metal band is such a small component compared to the glass.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess Im anal about my devices, I didnt leave the store until I had a case and screen protector on it-too OCD I guess.

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi, i just ordered an iPhone 4 yesterday. And was wondering, from those people who are iPhone 4 owners, is there a scratch on your glossy device? If there is, how big? How sensitive is it to get one? Do you think you can maybe throw in some pictures?

"iPhone 4 owners, is there a scratch on your glossy device? If there is, how big?" "How sensitive is it to get one?"

You have got to be kidding me. :eek:
I like my iPhone but I swear some of the thread topics here...eh :confused:
If your 15 and a girl, disregard my comments...I understand.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I have some slight wear on the antenna and one tiny scratch on the back that isn't really noticeable. However I use the bumper now and that thing takes a beating. The bumper is all scuffed up and I question its durability.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I left mine naked for quite a while. Didn't drop the thing once, and I ended up with hairline scratches on both the front and back. They bug me, but I'm a little OCD. Nothing major, but I'd definitely recommend some kind of case and/or screen protector.

killthelights32

Apr 26, 2009
Visit site
I got mine a week after launch day and never put it in any case or a screen protector on it. I've dropped it a few times now and not a scratch on either the glass or the metal band. Very robust body! Very happy.

lush242000

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Sort of like riding a motorcycle. There are those who have crashed and those who are about to crash, but it will happen. Get a screen protector.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
One thing about iPhones in general, they look much better than other phones after time. My 3GS had a bunch of scratches on the plastic back, but still looked much better after a year than my Blackberry did after 6 months. The glass screen helps out a lot with scratches from stuff like coins and keys.

Miggs2002

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
i was under the impression that the front and back of the iPhone 4 were un-markable due to some technologically advanced coating, i'm sure i read it on the apple website i will have a look...

...here we are, this is a sentence taken direst from the apple website

"Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating front and back"

i know that says fingerprint resistant but i'm sure i heard somewhere that it was resistant to scratches also, so much so they reckon you can put it in your pocket with your keys and it comes out unscathed

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
As it has been stated before in several threads, the iPhone 4's glass is 20x harder than plastic. That doesn't mean it is unscratchable. Keys, probably not since glass is harder (on the Moh's Hardness Scale) than keys. Glass is rated at a 7 and steel is rated at 4.5. Hardened steel is rated at 7.5 (which would scratch glass). So there are many substances that will scratch glass. My tungsten ring is rated at 9.5...it will scratch the glass screens no problem. It all comes down to science.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
i know that says fingerprint resistant but i'm sure i heard somewhere that it was resistant to scratches also, so much so they reckon you can put it in your pocket with your keys and it comes out unscathed
As markunsaker was trying to say, "Scratch-resistant" doesn't necessarily mean it cannot be scratched because it most definitely can.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods