Hi All,

One of my family members are having an issue with their iphone 4. Recently they have bought an iphone 4 from someone (Not sure who from), but the iphone wont allow any to use the phone features (Take calls or recieve them - to me knowledge).

Anyway from what I can gather my mam simply inserted her own t-mobile sim card into this iphone as it was already networked by t-mobile. So that couldn't be the issue could it, the sim card or anything.

I suspect the iphone could have been lost by someone and they have reported it, been sold on to my mam and it's not allowing calls (Could that be what the issue is?)

Any suggestions how to fix this problem would be grately appreciated.
    09-02-2010 01:20 PM
    Is the phone unlocked for other carriers?
    09-02-2010 01:35 PM
    Will the phone need to be unlocked will it, honestly didn't know. I automatically thought if it was purchased from an T-mobile store (Assuming it was, as a t-mobile sim was in before my mams), she insert hers and go from there.

So would the iphone need to be unlocked before her sim can be used then?

Btw the firmware is 4.0.2 so she'll have to wait a little while before she can look into unlocking this.

Any more input will be good.
    09-02-2010 01:41 PM
    The phone has to be a) unlocked unofficially for use on other carriers in the US; or b) unlocked officially for international carriers.
    09-02-2010 02:58 PM
    TMobile is also a provider over in Europe, so it's not just a US thing. TMobile in Europe does officially sell the iPhone as well.

Micky,

Have your mother contact TMobile and ask them to help her set it up. It may be something very simple, like her sim card could be quite old and need to be updated.
    09-02-2010 03:01 PM
    Hi All,

One of my family members are having an issue with their iphone 4. Recently they have bought an iphone 4 from someone (Not sure who from), but the iphone wont allow any to use the phone features (Take calls or recieve them - to me knowledge).

Anyway from what I can gather my mam simply inserted her own t-mobile sim card into this iphone as it was already networked by t-mobile. So that couldn't be the issue could it, the sim card or anything.

I suspect the iphone could have been lost by someone and they have reported it, been sold on to my mam and it's not allowing calls (Could that be what the issue is?)

Any suggestions how to fix this problem would be grately appreciated.
    Always test before you buy. Since it wasnt from a store, cross your fingers it wasnt reported lost or stolen or you've bough an expensive ipod

EDIT**

If it had a sim in it, it was most likely stolen since if you sell a phone, you dont leave your sim in it for someone else to use do you?
    09-02-2010 05:14 PM
    Always test before you buy. Since it wasnt from a store, cross your fingers it wasnt reported lost or stolen or you've bough an expensive ipod

EDIT**

If it had a sim in it, it was most likely stolen since if you sell a phone, you dont leave your sim in it for someone else to use do you?
    I did it once by accident. :o
    09-02-2010 07:51 PM
    Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it.

@ Big9erfan: The sim was bought brand new so she tells me, decided to buy a new sim card, Pay as you go, and update her budget accordenly from there.

I'm quite in the dark about what exactly has gone on at the moment but I see her Sunday so I'll have a word then.

BUT someone maybe able to help me out now. She gathers the iphone was stolen and it has been sold on to herself. However she is in no wrong, and willing to keep hold of it if she can get it to work, any more ideas how to overcome the issue.

Firstly, the iphone will need to be unlocked I guess before we get anywhere, Agree?

@theringer: If someone has reported the iphone as stolen does that seriously mean they is no way past getting it activated again? Your right, at the moment it is only a ipod.
    09-03-2010 07:18 AM
    Update: The phone was found by someone my mam knows and sold it onto her because it was too complicated for the person who found it. The finder tried giving the phone back but no luck.

Right so now thats clear this suggests the person who lost it may have reported it (Who knows maybe not), either way as i've mentioned before the phone does everything bar recieve calls or take calls.

Any suggestions what this could be or what we could do to sort it out. No one has fully confirm a few things. Firstly if the phone wasn't reported can my mam simply insert her sim and use it from there or does it need to be unlocked. If so maybe it could be worth keeping hold until an unlock is available to test it.

If it's been reported, what now, totally useless or can anyone recommend how to get it going again or what not.
    09-04-2010 05:36 AM
    I've yet to sort this out. No one ?
    09-05-2010 08:19 AM
    No ones really going to help if it was a lost/stolen phone, sorry
    09-05-2010 10:33 AM
    Suppose I can understand, thanks for the guys who showed interest. Who knows someone may reply.
    09-05-2010 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD