My little conversion story

jiggaman2g

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I came from a loooonggggg line of blackberries and defended them like crazy! 11 years to be exact.

Here's how it all started...Every time I would walk into a mall I would find myself casually wandering into local Telus / Apple stores and taking a peek at the 3GS and even worse when the 4 came out, but never would I think of buying one, it was like I plead some type of unspoken alliance or vow to Crackberry and my Storm 2.

One particular visit to the Apple store in Yorkdale Mall and a very informative rep took the time and spent about 30-45 mins with me and we battled it out. Me with my Storm in hand and him an ip4 in hand. I was determined to show him how much of a toy that the iphone was (mind you a nice toy) vs my awesome business tool my BB Storm 2.

Email top of the list "iphone has no push notifications and to fetch every 15 minutes just won't do. I own a staffing company and get resumes and client emails on a per second basis at times. We activate one of my email accounts on the ip4 and send some tests....this thing received emails seconds after my bb did!!! HUH? WTF? When did that happen? I thought that wasn't an option.... Well it was now he says...ummm ok well lets try something else....

BBM well suffice to say that iphone does not offer bbm...BUT he shows me KIK chat (can communicate w bb phones) then PingChat and about 3 other things that are for iphone to iphone. Ok well ummm next.

LOL I got nothing.....I dare not bring up "App World" cause the app store murders that, and browsers... pfft forget about it! iphone wins that too. I walked out the store feeling like I was carting around a prehistoric piece of technology on my waist. I had to literally peel my sons fingers off a phone as he would not stop playing this pre loaded skateboard game! As we walked out I got the "Dad why don't you get that phone? That's waaaayyyyy better than your blackberry" I had to smile and agree.

That night I was lying in bed and responding to an email and my wife chimes in...."I'm so sick of hearing the clicking noise on that friggin phone! It's so annoying!" I had to laugh to myself, what is this a conspiracy?

I woke up the next morning and said enough is enough! I'm not losing ANYTHING with a switch, I would actually be gaining, so I call Telus and low and behold I had all these offers on my account that I was not aware of, they gave me a ton of cash off the phone and a sweet data package for $15.00 more than my previous but then they say everywhere is out of stock. LOL I'm a go getter so I have them note my account and off to Canada411 I go. I call 1 store yes one and they say they have 2 in stock. I reserve one and grab my boy and we're off!

Now I'm the oh so proud owner of the iphone4 and words can't describe how much more advanced this thing is compared to my Storm even the battery life kills my BB.

Anyway I can go on and on for pages on how great I think this phone is. I often feel like going over to the CB forums and telling the others "COME OVER!!! THE GRASS REALLY IS GREENER"!!! Let your defenses down! LMAO

Anyway that's just a little about how it happened, sorry for the lonnngggg post but just like to share my little conversion story with my "new" ppls

Oh another thing......You guys n gals are so much more peaceful and calmer here, it's refreshing......:D

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Since I have a podcast called "Convertcast," I just hadda read this one. Great story. And yes, not only is the grass greener, but this really is one of the friendliest communities on the net.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Great story. Very smart of you to check out the iphone4 compared to your device. I?m glad you found iphone to be better and I wish you good luck in the future with it. Hopefully it will continue to meet all of your everyday needs.

FobBerry

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
That is exactly the same as my 'convert' story.

I had blackberries for years and defended them all the way now they are ancient tech and the iP4 is way better - I feel like I am free at last.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Good story. Welcome aboard.

While not a convert (upgraded from a Razr to a 3G way back), I have thought about jumping ship a couple of times and going to android, thinking the grass was greener. But every time I went into a mobile phone store to test drive an android device, it never felt right. The OS felt sluggish and somewhat "cobbled together".

Long story short, for me the grass wasn't greener on the other side. :D

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
You know why this site is more peaceful? We all know we have the best phone in the world. The crackheads know deep down they don't, so they try to put us down. You should see some of the threads in the 9800 sub-forum. Some dudes in there are certifiable.

jiggaman2g

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I've spent so much time on this phone so far and haven't had the slightest urge to return to the Storm at all. Definitely a happy camper!

If anything my only two concerns with this phone is the having to use itunes to do everything (bit of a learning curve) As opposed to drag and drop which I was quite a "pro" at lol. And lastly not being able to put my own ringtones to alert me of different thing ie: have 3 diff email account and wouldn't mind a tone for each and SMS as well as Ping msgs....

Apart from those minor things this phone is second to none! I see why the Crackberry Forums call it the "Jesus phone" ;)

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Apart from those minor things this phone is second to none! I see why the Crackberry Forums call it the "Jesus phone" ;)

Ha. Ironically enough, both Crackheads and Fandroids spend a huge amount of time trying to crucify the iPhone. I think "Jesus phone" fits nicely.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
I've spent so much time on this phone so far and haven't had the slightest urge to return to the Storm at all. Definitely a happy camper!

If anything my only two concerns with this phone is the having to use itunes to do everything (bit of a learning curve) As opposed to drag and drop which I was quite a "pro" at lol. And lastly not being able to put my own ringtones to alert me of different thing ie: have 3 diff email account and wouldn't mind a tone for each and SMS as well as Ping msgs....

Once you start using playlists, you'll hate using the old method.

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Glad to have you. I'm glad that you took the time and effort to compare. I've thought about an Evo or a Droid X because I like the screen size; however, they just don't seem as responsive. Even though I love gadgets, the thought of digging into the Android to figure out all of its features drains my life force. The iPhone 4 is beautiful and elegant, and it, along with my iPad, pushed me to get a Mac Mini. If the next iPhone comes out with a 4.3" retina display, I'll pay the full no-contract price. :)

Last edited:

jcdaniels

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I came from an Android phone that I had for 7 months, before had 2 Blackberries the previous years..... Wouldn't go back for anything in the world. As a long time Mac user, it took me a while before I jumped to the mobile platform but glad I waited for the iP4 (retina,multitask,etc...)

Glad to hear you are as happy as I was!

jiggaman2g

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Once you start using playlists, you'll hate using the old method.

As funny as this may sound I'm having the hardest time working with itunes and creating playlists and transferring my vids that I had on the BB. I'm reading up and learning as I go but somethings just won't sync for me. lol

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
As funny as this may sound I'm having the hardest time working with itunes and creating playlists and transferring my vids that I had on the BB. I'm reading up and learning as I go but somethings just won't sync for me. lol

I've had an iPhone since the 3G, and I still have trouble understanding iTunes syncing. I've read quite a bit about the iPhone and iTunes, and I'm often surprised at what is or isn't on my iPhone and on my computer after a sync. I'm just a caveman.

I just bought a Mac Mini, and I really want to sync with both my PC laptop and my Mac Mini, but it doesn't appear to be possible without jailbreaking or editing some itunes files.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I transfered from blackberry as well and I couldnt be happier this phone just does so much more then a blackberry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2