Screen cracked to a million pieces... :(

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Well, it happened today while I was pulling my 3GS out of my pocket while walking...fell from about 4 or 5 ft high to the concrete, and the screen just shattered to pieces. Little shards of glass everywhere, and what gets me is that I even had a Speck Candyshell case on the phone. Fell right on it's face, but I thought the lay on the table design of the Speck case should have protected it. Guess not.

Was going to upgrade to the i4, but my contract is not close enough to qualify for a full discount. Good news was that Apple genious bar told me that they just dropped the price of a new screen from $199 to $99, so I just had them replace the screen. Good as new again. :) Think I need a tougher case now. Lol

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I actually just made an appointment with the Genious bar and walked into the Apple store the same day. They called my name at about 10 minutes past my appt time and replaced my screen within 10 minutes. Since they just replaced the screen on my existing phone, I didn't even have to restore it, since all my data was still on the phone. Pretty good service I have to say.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
That's pretty cool. I didn't know they would do that right in the store. Good for you-that's great.

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, thx guys. It did work out well, cause I thought I'd be out my phone for a few days, but then again, I'm out $100 bucks too. Lol. Really surprised the screen just smashed up like that from only a 4 or 5 foot drop while having a case on it. I know my old blackberry would've survived unscathed, but then again, I'd hate to have to go back to a Blackberry. :D

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
get a otterbox defender it will survive drops in that case I have one for my iPhone 4 and its great

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, thx guys. It did work out well, cause I thought I'd be out my phone for a few days, but then again, I'm out $100 bucks too. Lol. Really surprised the screen just smashed up like that from only a 4 or 5 foot drop while having a case on it. I know my old blackberry would've survived unscathed, but then again, I'd hate to have to go back to a Blackberry. :D

I dropped my 3G in Disneyland taking pics of my daughter from about the same height and somehow I got lucky and it didn't even scratch! I had the white Incase slider case from the Apple store on it. The case had some minor scratches but not the phone. Still works perfect! I sent it to my mom when I got my iP4! Did you take pics of the screen? I'd like to see it!

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the 3GS slider case from incase and I've dropped my phone 3 times, each a pretty good fall on to hard ground and I don't have any scratches or problems at all.

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I dropped my 3G in Disneyland taking pics of my daughter from about the same height and somehow I got lucky and it didn't even scratch! I had the white Incase slider case from the Apple store on it. The case had some minor scratches but not the phone. Still works perfect! I sent it to my mom when I got my iP4! Did you take pics of the screen? I'd like to see it!

Sorry....didn't take any pics of it with the screen all cracked up, as I was preoccupied with getting it repaired, but it wasn't pretty. :)

NinjaBreadMan

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
When I had my 3gs, I used the Switcheasy CapsuleNEO and absolutely loved it (hope this doesn't come of as a sales pitch). It took a few hits like that, but I too may have lucked out on the way it hit the ground. The case is made of several components, though, that help. It has a rubber membrane that sits between the phone and the case and then the case has two parts that interlock. The majority of the pocket lint and other dirt that oddly materializes between the case and the phone, collected on the rubber. When the time came to pass it on (i.e., trade it in to radio shack) I removed the case gave it a quick wipe and it was brand new. They gave me their full value during their evaluation, which at the time was $280.

P.S. One big drop was getting out of my my truck with the phone on my ear, I bumped the B-post and from six feet or so, froze like I was watching a car accident. However, I picked it up and it was good to go.

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I think it has a lot to do with how it drops, since my phone was also in a Speck Candyshell, which does have the rubber coating as well as the outer hard shell case. My phone must've fallen right at the perfect angle for a cracking. Once the glass breaks, it's actually kinda dangerous....there were tiny shards of glass everywhere, and I think I had to pick a few shards from my fingers. They shoulda made the screen outta plexiglass IMO.

NinjaBreadMan

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Haha, really I think that we should just go to the Apple store and have them implant them into or bodies. THEN, we wouldn't have to worry about it. Hardware upgrades would suck, though. Seriously, i thought that it would be some kind of safety glass (like car windshields). I guess they weren't planning on many of them breaking.

Hmmmm, I wonder what happens to those helicopter windshields (which they said this was based on) when they shatter.

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
A thread like this really needs pictures... ;)

Oh I don't know. Even though pictures would be good to see, it might traumatize some of us who can't even think of their phone looking like that!! :eek: I've dropped mine once on concrete with a Griffin case. Nothing happened to it. But now, I hold it so tightly, my hand hurts!! :D

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm not gonna put one of those ginormica cases on the phone even after this incident because I hate bulk.

For those that feel they have to have a visual on what it looked like, here's a pic...not mine, but looked like it, but mine was cracked even more!

cracked_iphone_6.jpg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods