Newbie joins the 21st century!

foxhunter

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I've had upgrade status with AT&T for something like 4 years now. Still using an ancient Moto RAZR. Although I have an updated desktop PC, I have no laptop, no iPod (not even an MP3), no e-reader, not even a digital pciture frame. (I should have signed on to this forum as "pathetic luddite"!)

Finally decided I wanted to become more mobile. Got a Samsung Galaxy Captivate "on impulse" w/o much research. Have 3 days left on my 30 day return period and have decided to return it and get an iPhone. Yay! :D
And then I'm getting an iPad. Double Yay! :D :D

I finally got to play with both the iP4 and the iP3GS yesterday. I think I will be perfectly happy with the 8G iP3GS. That phone is so far away from the ancient RAZR, and most of the new stuff everybody loves about the iP4 - I don't care about so much. I'll put the hundred bucks that saves toward cases, chargers, apps, etc...

UNLESS somebody here convinces me otherwise! All comments welcome!

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I think the 8gig 3GS is going to be fine for you as well. At least at first anyway, I think that if you intend to to much music on it then you will at least want a 16gig. That's what I have and I only have like 4gigs left on it. Oh and welcome to TiPb and #teamiphone:)

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a iphone 4 32gb and love it... I cant say much about the 3gs because I never owned one but I will say iphone in general is really nice

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had upgrade status with AT&T for something like 4 years now. Still using an ancient Moto RAZR. Although I have an updated desktop PC, I have no laptop, no iPod (not even an MP3), no e-reader, not even a digital pciture frame. (I should have signed on to this forum as "pathetic luddite"!)

Finally decided I wanted to become more mobile. Got a Samsung Galaxy Captivate "on impulse" w/o much research. Have 3 days left on my 30 day return period and have decided to return it and get an iPhone. Yay! :D
And then I'm getting an iPad. Double Yay! :D :D

I finally got to play with both the iP4 and the iP3GS yesterday. I think I will be perfectly happy with the 8G iP3GS. That phone is so far away from the ancient RAZR, and most of the new stuff everybody loves about the iP4 - I don't care about so much. I'll put the hundred bucks that saves toward cases, chargers, apps, etc...

UNLESS somebody here convinces me otherwise! All comments welcome!

Honestly, if your going to use your upgrade I would get the iPhone 4. Since you won't be able to upgrade for awhile you might as well get the best. Also, I think the screen is worth spending the extra money in the i4 itself, but that's just my two cents. :) either way your going to love the iPhone and welcome to the forums!

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, if your going to use your upgrade I would get the iPhone 4. Since you won't be able to upgrade for awhile you might as well get the best. Also, I think the screen is worth spending the extra money in the i4 itself, but that's just my two cents. :) either way your going to love the iPhone and welcome to the forums!

thats exactly what i was going to say. If you upgrade now you will have to wait 2 years so you might as well get the better screen, better battery, more RAM, better camera, better video, and overall just better phone. WELL worth the extra $100 IMO. either way like stated you will fall in love and welcome to the forum and apple-stardom!!!

dt81

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree, you are going to kick yourself in the butt if you don't get the i4. Going from the 3GS to i4 is like going from your Razr to the 3GS ( i think at least).

zkyevolved

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget that the 3gs is last year's model, and the iphone 6 will come out before you can upgrade again, so ... I'd get the 4 which has a lot of upgrades for future updates :) my .02$

Last edited:

foxhunter

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
iP4 vs iP3GS - Sturdy? Damage resistance?

OK - You guys bring up good points about the iP4 and not getting another upgrade for 2 years. And although 100 bux difference isn't pocket change, it's pretty small in the greater scheme of things since I'll basically be buying an iPhone and an iPad (plus the necessary accessories) all at the same time.

I've got really nice camera equipment already, although not as mobile, but plenty good enough for me. So, the camera/video advantages if the iP4 don't mean a lot to me. Nor does the rear facing camera and video chat capability - since I don't know anybody else with an iP4.

The big difference - for me - is the double glass screens on the iP4. And it's a con, not a pro. Just another surface to break. For the record, I've had some sort of mobile phone since the 1st "bag phones" came out in the early 90s. I've never broken, lost, stepped on, dropped in water, etc... any phone. (Have dropped my RAZR quite a few times with no ill effect.) So, I'm not all THAT hard on cell phones, but...

I'm a horsewoman and I ride out alone, a lot. I ALWAYS carry my cell with me, on me, not the horse. Not so I can chat while I'm out in the woods, but for emergencies. (Yes, "manure" happens!) I have an arm/leg band phone holder that I usually put around the top of my boots, just below the knee. It's convenient, doesn't interfere with my riding, and isn't likely to do much bodily damage to ME if I wind up pitched in the dirt and happen to land on the phone...:)

I'll have to find a new sports-type case and holder for the iP as it's not going to fit the ones I have. I'm already worried about the one nice big pretty screen on the 3GS and just see the double screens in the i4 as making it even more susceptible to damage...

Maybe I am worrying for nothing?

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
And....you can always pick up some cheap (quality) accessories on Ebay. If you're talking AT&T, almost ANYONE can beat their prices on accessories!

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Just get the 4. That way, when the OS becomes more advanced, you won't be regretting it. The extra RAM alone is worth the extra $.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Not necessarily. Depends on why you want the iPad.

Of course, some people will have specific needs that the iPad can fill- like for business purposes- but if she's getting it for general use, I think she'll be disappointed. For general use purpose, the iP4 can do anything the iPad can and I'd bet it would largely go unused, just like mine did. I ended up selling mine on eBay after getting the 4.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
OK - You guys bring up good points about the iP4 and not getting another upgrade for 2 years. And although 100 bux difference isn't pocket change, it's pretty small in the greater scheme of things since I'll basically be buying an iPhone and an iPad (plus the necessary accessories) all at the same time.

I've got really nice camera equipment already, although not as mobile, but plenty good enough for me. So, the camera/video advantages if the iP4 don't mean a lot to me. Nor does the rear facing camera and video chat capability - since I don't know anybody else with an iP4.

The big difference - for me - is the double glass screens on the iP4. And it's a con, not a pro. Just another surface to break. For the record, I've had some sort of mobile phone since the 1st "bag phones" came out in the early 90s. I've never broken, lost, stepped on, dropped in water, etc... any phone. (Have dropped my RAZR quite a few times with no ill effect.) So, I'm not all THAT hard on cell phones, but...

I'm a horsewoman and I ride out alone, a lot. I ALWAYS carry my cell with me, on me, not the horse. Not so I can chat while I'm out in the woods, but for emergencies. (Yes, "manure" happens!) I have an arm/leg band phone holder that I usually put around the top of my boots, just below the knee. It's convenient, doesn't interfere with my riding, and isn't likely to do much bodily damage to ME if I wind up pitched in the dirt and happen to land on the phone...:)

I'll have to find a new sports-type case and holder for the iP as it's not going to fit the ones I have. I'm already worried about the one nice big pretty screen on the 3GS and just see the double screens in the i4 as making it even more susceptible to damage...

Maybe I am worrying for nothing?

After having both, I can honestly say that I don't think the 3GS is more durable then the i4. Yes, the i4 has glass on front and back, but Apple did a pretty good job at making them durable. Also, if your worried about protection with the i4 or the 3GS (which ever you decide on) Otterbox makes a case called the defender for both phones that has an insane amount of protection. I have never tried them personally (i'm a student, I don't get into many extreme situations, unless we count the ones that involve liquor), but members of this forum rave about the otterbox defender and it's ability to take a beating. Just my .02.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
If you use the phone a lot, and you probably will, battery life on i4 is much better than the 3GS. That and the screen make it worth the extra $100.

As for your concern about the glass, the i4 glass is a much tougher glass than the one found on the 3GS. Some reports say it's the same aluminosilicate glass on both sides of the i4. Others say it's only on the front, and regular tempered glass on the back. Regardless, I dropped mine on cement once, the glass survived fine, only got a few scratches on the metal band. Finally, if you get an i4, you also get a free case.

foxhunter

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Newbie sees big difference btw iPhone and iPad!

Of course, some people will have specific needs that the iPad can fill- like for business purposes- but if she's getting it for general use, I think she'll be disappointed. For general use purpose, the iP4 can do anything the iPad can and I'd bet it would largely go unused, just like mine did. I ended up selling mine on eBay after getting the 4.

Yikes - I posted a long reply last night but now it's gone!
For, me there is one big difference that makes the iPad very attractive with additional function over the iPhone. SIZE. I'm not going to be happy trying to read a book, do a crossword puzzle, or do any heavy web surfing for research purposes on a 3.7" screen. I spent the last month trying to do those things on a 4" Samsung Captivate screen and decided that was not realistic for me. I was actually thinking of going the other way. Buy an iPad, and maybe I don't need so much in a phone?

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
For, me there is one big difference that makes the iPad very attractive with additional function over the iPhone. SIZE. I'm not going to be happy trying to read a book, do a crossword puzzle, or do any heavy web surfing for research purposes on a 3.7" screen. I spent the last month trying to do those things on a 4" Samsung Captivate screen and decided that was not realistic for me. I was actually thinking of going the other way. Buy an iPad, and maybe I don't need so much in a phone?

Eh. I still use my iPhone 4. A lot. But I have my iPad with me for when I can sit down and play around or work...I am a college student/workaholic and I send lots of emails, type lots of notes, and make a lot of ads and presentations. I love my MBP, but I connect to it remotely with the iPad because the iPad is so much more portable. But I could never give up carrying my iPhone...it's great for me when I'm on the move.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

That's definitely an option. I was just speaking from my experience that having both is a bit of overkill if you don't need both of them for specific purposes. Either way, whether you choose to with the iPhone, iPad or both- you will be very happy that you did. These devices will change the way you operate on a daily level. If you do go iPad and no iPhone though, just be sure to get a 3g iPad. On top of being able to access the internet nearly everywhere, it has GPs whereas the wifi only does not.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

If you're getting an ipad, maybe you should consider a palm pixi for a phone. It's free i think. Nice little kb, good for texting, email. Sounds like you'll be using an ipad the majority of the time anyways.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner