Emailing photos, from iPhone 4 - landscape mode.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Morning all, and happy Friday...

I've just noticed that if I take a photo with my iPhone (or from its folders, for that matter), and then email it to anyone, even myself, the image displays in the email as landscape. But, the photo was taken in portrait mode...

I've sent various emails, with various sizes photo attachments as a test. But, same issue.

Any ideas, anyone?

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
What email service are you using? I just tested mine, I use gmail set up through exchange for push, and it emailed the picture in portrait mode.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Never mind...

I've figured it out, and tested it, too!

If you email a photo that is in portrait mode, by design, the iPhone WILL change it to landscape. The way around it is to send it as an MMS to an email address, and it will deliver it in the correct mode ;)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Just tested it out myself using Gmail on an Exchange setup. Sent to myself in Gmail, with these results:

On laptop & phone, it has the correct orientation in the mail preview.
Click view to see it in-browser: switches to landscape.
Download to desktop, open jpeg w/Windows Picture Viewer: switches to landscape.
Download to desktop, open jpeg w/Quicktime Photo Viewer: switches to landscape.
Download to desktop, open jpeg w/Picasa Picture Viewer: stays in portrait.

All this makes me wonder if the issue is less about the phone than the program used to receive it--that the orientation data is all there, but not all programs are set to automatically adjust the image based on that.

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Never mind...

I've figured it out, and tested it, too!

If you email a photo that is in portrait mode, by design, the iPhone WILL change it to landscape. The way around it is to send it as an MMS to an email address, and it will deliver it in the correct mode ;)

If you send in SMS doesn't it reduce the size (MB) of your picture?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2