Okay, so I'm going to be getting a new iphone 4. I have been having a problem with the phone shutting completely down randomly and having to do a hard reset to get it back. After taking it to the apple store, they are going to give me a replacement.

So now I need to have a backup so I can get my phone back to how I like it. What is the best way to make sure everything is backed up and what backs up when I sync it with itunes (I'm using a PC by the way)?

From what I understand, I'll need to transfer my photos to computer manually to save them. I do know how to do this. Is there anything in particular I need to know though?

I suppose I'm going to wipe the phone before I bring it in as well so my data is off of the phone when they get it.
    08-24-2010 02:22 PM
    I was under the impression that if the photos are on your device, when you do a backup they will be saved. Ive never had to manually save them to a folder on my laptop. And, yes, just do a restore (without backup) and it will restore your device to original factory. At least this is what I think, Im kind of new to the iPhone.
    08-24-2010 03:14 PM
    You can do this one of two ways:

First Way: Sync and re-setup the phone:
    First, connect your old phone. Make sure that you sync contacts to something like outlook or GMail or Mobile me. Copy off photos( these won't go back on the camera roll of your new phone, you'll need to tell iTunes to sync this folder to your new phone and it will be a photo album )

Now, on your old device go to Settings -> Erase All Content and Settings, take it into Apple and they'll give you your new device and put the existing sim into your new device. Go home, connect your phone, and sync. All your apps, contacts, etc will copy over. You'll have to re-setup mail accounts, wifi logins, etc. You will lose app saved data and game saves.

OR

Option 2: Restore from backup.
    With your old phone, connect it to iTunes, and right click on the iPhone within iTunes and choose "Backup". After the backup is done, disconnect your phone, go to Settings -> Erase All Content and Settings. Go to Apple, likely the phone will still be erasing the data, that's fine, they will still take it in. They will give you your new device, with your old sim and set it to activate. From there just go home, plug-in your iPhone. iTunes will recognize it, right click on the iPhone in iTunes and choose "Restore From Backup...". This will restore ALL your previous settings, mail, app data, etc. You'll have to re-enter Wifi and Mail Passwords, but it will remember all the other settings.

The choice is yours.
    08-24-2010 03:15 PM
    Sweet. So what you're saying is that the only extra thing I'll need to make sure is copied are my photos/videos. And Option 2 (restore from backup) will require me doing less work to get the thing set back up the way I had it.
    08-24-2010 03:46 PM
    Sweet. So what you're saying is that the only extra thing I'll need to make sure is copied are my photos/videos. And Option 2 (restore from backup) will require me doing less work to get the thing set back up the way I had it.
    Correct.

Option 2 requires you do nothing to get it back to where you wanted except re-enter passwords.
    08-24-2010 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD