I got my iPhone 3gs when it was the mist expensive phone in uk and don't think I ever will be able to do that again. So how long will this 3gs be worth keeping? Will the app store now run forever? Will cydia and jailbreaking be around long? When will something new other than touch screen come along? Any input appreciate however small. Thanks guys.
    08-20-2010 09:33 PM
    I got my iPhone 3gs when it was the mist expensive phone in uk and don't think I ever will be able to do that again. So how long will this 3gs be worth keeping? Will the app store now run forever? Will cydia and jailbreaking be around long? When will something new other than touch screen come along? Any input appreciate however small. Thanks guys.
    truth is noone really knows... apple isnt backing down on the app store but your 3gs will see its end of life by next iphone release
    08-20-2010 09:44 PM
    It'll be worth keeping as long as you find it useful. Does it continue you to do everything you expect it to do?
    08-20-2010 10:37 PM
    It's the 2009 model, so I would say 3 years at most.
    08-20-2010 11:41 PM
    It'll be good for a while. Even the first generation iphone is still working. It just isn't able to do all the fancy schmancy things the iphone four does.
    08-21-2010 12:10 AM
    Wow, so you're looking for a psychic to answer this question? LOL

The new technology will be called "thinkscreen". You just think about what you want to do and watch it happen.
    08-21-2010 12:17 AM
    I say keep it until next years model changes everything again one more time.
    08-21-2010 12:21 AM
    Wow, so you're looking for a psychic to answer this question? LOL

The new technology will be called "thinkscreen". You just think about what you want to do and watch it happen.
    Actually the next iPhone with be called eyePhone ...literally using your eyes!....lol (you have to see the Futurama episode)
    08-21-2010 12:45 AM
    I will have had my 3G two years in November. If I had to keep it another two years I probably would happy. I mean I just got it working the way I want it tto by now!!

Don't get me wrong. I will most likely get the iP4 this Christmas as an Update/Upgrade. But if I was not financially able to for whatever reason, I would just fine.
    08-21-2010 12:52 AM
    Technology changes so fast. Before Apple even released the 3GS, the iPhone 4 was already being worked on for 6 months
    08-21-2010 01:37 PM
    Technology changes so fast. Before Apple even released the 3GS, the iPhone 4 was already being worked on for 6 months
    Yup got to love technology. As soon as you leave the store with the "newest" product it is outdated lol.
    08-22-2010 02:21 AM
    So I've got a few years yet. Thanks for any helpful answers. Sarcastic answers are just a waste of typing and data.
    08-22-2010 06:31 AM
    So long as there's a revenue stream possible from your 3GS, Apple will "support" it. The hardware is rock solid, but the battery will eventually wear out. Of course, it's replaceable, but it's a PITA.
    08-22-2010 09:56 AM
    I think it is reasonable to expect to replace your iPhone once every 24 months in order to stay current. Desktop computers probably get 3-4 years before replacement, so I think that will be acceptable to consumers.
    08-23-2010 09:54 PM
    So I've got a few years yet. Thanks for any helpful answers. Sarcastic answers are just a waste of typing and data.
    I agree with others, if it still works and can handle what you want it to your fine . I know many many people with the first iphone and they love it. They want a newer iphone, but they want to keep it until it dies and knowing apple products that probably won't be for awhile. I know I plan on getting another iphone 4, and as soon as I get it, I will save up to buy the iPhone 5 outright. I'll have plenty of time
    08-23-2010 11:11 PM
    You should be fine. Just make sure you protect it. I don't think Apple will stop supporting the 3Gs for awhile.
    08-23-2010 11:56 PM
    My guess, and this is just a guess, is that apple will stop supporting the 3GS when the iPhone 5 comes out. Judging by past upgrades and release dates, that will be a little less than two years from now. There will be an improved iP4 model that will release next June and then the iP5 will release in June '12.

Apple stopped fully supporting the 3G with the release of the iP4 because it was gimped in terms of computing power when compared to the 3GS and 4. The 3GS, though, is very similar in ability to the 4, so I think Apple will be able to continue supporting it in future iOS versions without fracturing the operating system. Until the 5, that is.
    08-24-2010 09:04 AM
    I have thoght about this before myself but in a different way...How high can Apple go with the numbers? The iPhone 4 will probably be the last number...iPhone 5 sounds strange. Can you imagine, the Iphone 10...Any thoughts on what the next iPhone might be called? 4gs?
    08-24-2010 05:54 PM
    It'll be good for a while. Even the first generation iphone is still working. It just isn't able to do all the fancy schmancy things the iphone four does.
    Chobbs is right. It still works as phone and I would think Apple would support it for as long as it makes sense. You can always not update it.
    08-24-2010 06:07 PM
    I have thoght about this before myself but in a different way...How high can Apple go with the numbers? The iPhone 4 will probably be the last number...iPhone 5 sounds strange. Can you imagine, the Iphone 10...Any thoughts on what the next iPhone might be called? 4gs?
    I remember a joke about this with Windows 95, referring to at the time, what they would call Windows in 2003 ... Windows 3?!? This is a reference back to one of the original version of Windows (before the real graphical user interface).

I trust they have a team of folks working on this very problem. Marketing is so undervalued.
    08-24-2010 06:10 PM
    I would say it'll last a long time. specially this iPhone 4.
    It'll probably last for about 1-5 years from now.
    08-24-2010 07:01 PM
    Looks like iPhones are updated each year but the previous years model is sold for $100.00 for the next year. I would assume that Apple would support something for at least a year after last sale. So each model gets 3 years of support. However so far each year there have been enough new features in the phones to justify an upgrade - though I waited almost 3 year and went from a 2G to the 4!
    08-24-2010 07:36 PM
    if you are a fashion man , you must throw about you iphon 3g and waiting for the iphone 5 which is coming soon . else you cherish you iphone 3g as long as it doesn't disturb you life !
    for me , i am now using a iphone 3g too , i mainly care about the feature of watching videos , as i am a movie fan , as long as it can play videos , and combining my Aneeosft iphone video converter, i will keep it forever !
    08-25-2010 04:52 AM
    Itunes software and how you can add apps to your phone through itunes will continue for years to come imo, or at least it should.

It will be the i devices that will be updates throughout the years. This would make sense tbf, I would like to think I have the option to keep my iphone 3gs in 5,10 or however many years within the future and updates are still ongoing within firmware, and to different apps.
    08-25-2010 05:19 AM
    I don't doubt that the phone will be usable for many years to come, but the question is will it be fully supported? Will you still be able to DL all the latest and greatest apps 5 years from now? My guess is no. Once the newer phones lap existing in terms of processing power and ability, Apple will stop fully supporting those phones that can't perform like newer models.
    08-25-2010 07:08 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD