How long will an iPhone be worth having?

Dawkins Bull-Terrier

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I got my iPhone 3gs when it was the mist expensive phone in uk and don't think I ever will be able to do that again. So how long will this 3gs be worth keeping? Will the app store now run forever? Will cydia and jailbreaking be around long? When will something new other than touch screen come along? Any input appreciate however small. Thanks guys.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I got my iPhone 3gs when it was the mist expensive phone in uk and don't think I ever will be able to do that again. So how long will this 3gs be worth keeping? Will the app store now run forever? Will cydia and jailbreaking be around long? When will something new other than touch screen come along? Any input appreciate however small. Thanks guys.

truth is noone really knows... apple isnt backing down on the app store but your 3gs will see its end of life by next iphone release

bluebomberx

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site

It'll be worth keeping as long as you find it useful. Does it continue you to do everything you expect it to do?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
It'll be good for a while. Even the first generation iphone is still working. It just isn't able to do all the fancy schmancy things the iphone four does.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

Wow, so you're looking for a psychic to answer this question? LOL

The new technology will be called "thinkscreen". You just think about what you want to do and watch it happen.

bayourock

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
Wow, so you're looking for a psychic to answer this question? LOL

The new technology will be called "thinkscreen". You just think about what you want to do and watch it happen.

Actually the next iPhone with be called eyePhone ...literally using your eyes!....lol (you have to see the Futurama episode)

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I will have had my 3G two years in November. If I had to keep it another two years I probably would happy. I mean I just got it working the way I want it tto by now!!:D:p

Don't get me wrong. I will most likely get the iP4 this Christmas as an Update/Upgrade. But if I was not financially able to for whatever reason, I would just fine.:cool:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Technology changes so fast. Before Apple even released the 3GS, the iPhone 4 was already being worked on for 6 months

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
So long as there's a revenue stream possible from your 3GS, Apple will "support" it. The hardware is rock solid, but the battery will eventually wear out. Of course, it's replaceable, but it's a PITA.

neutrinos

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I think it is reasonable to expect to replace your iPhone once every 24 months in order to stay current. Desktop computers probably get 3-4 years before replacement, so I think that will be acceptable to consumers.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So I've got a few years yet. Thanks for any helpful answers. Sarcastic answers are just a waste of typing and data.

I agree with others, if it still works and can handle what you want it to your fine :). I know many many people with the first iphone and they love it. They want a newer iphone, but they want to keep it until it dies and knowing apple products that probably won't be for awhile. I know I plan on getting another iphone 4, and as soon as I get it, I will save up to buy the iPhone 5 outright. I'll have plenty of time :)

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My guess, and this is just a guess, is that apple will stop supporting the 3GS when the iPhone 5 comes out. Judging by past upgrades and release dates, that will be a little less than two years from now. There will be an improved iP4 model that will release next June and then the iP5 will release in June '12.

Apple stopped fully supporting the 3G with the release of the iP4 because it was gimped in terms of computing power when compared to the 3GS and 4. The 3GS, though, is very similar in ability to the 4, so I think Apple will be able to continue supporting it in future iOS versions without fracturing the operating system. Until the 5, that is.

RKMichael

Mar 18, 2010
ipodrepairblog.com
I have thoght about this before myself but in a different way...How high can Apple go with the numbers? The iPhone 4 will probably be the last number...iPhone 5 sounds strange. Can you imagine, the Iphone 10...Any thoughts on what the next iPhone might be called? 4gs?

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
It'll be good for a while. Even the first generation iphone is still working. It just isn't able to do all the fancy schmancy things the iphone four does.

Chobbs is right. It still works as phone and I would think Apple would support it for as long as it makes sense. You can always not update it.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I have thoght about this before myself but in a different way...How high can Apple go with the numbers? The iPhone 4 will probably be the last number...iPhone 5 sounds strange. Can you imagine, the Iphone 10...Any thoughts on what the next iPhone might be called? 4gs?

I remember a joke about this with Windows 95, referring to at the time, what they would call Windows in 2003 ... Windows 3?!? This is a reference back to one of the original version of Windows (before the real graphical user interface).

I trust they have a team of folks working on this very problem. Marketing is so undervalued.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox