My wife and I upgraded our 3GS phones yesterday to the new 4. Sync'd and backed up our old phones, registered and sync'd new ones. Mine worked fine (Win XP), but she's been having bug after bug (Win 7). Her addresses did not update. She doesn't use any contact manager other than her phone. None of her photos/videos sync'd. Her apps came over just fine. So we've been working on it, found that a power recycle seemd to bring up some photos. However, the sync keeps locking up, just sayin "syncing . . ." and going nowhere. So . . .

Because we still have the original phone, can I do a "restore" from iTunes on the iPhone 4, re-sync an backup her previous phone again, and then go back and sync the 4??? In other words, I want to start fresh again like we just came home. I don't know if there is something in the process she did wrong, and I'd like to start at the beginning myself. Is my thinking correct? Can someone walk me through a simple outline of the process, and things to watch out for???? She's really bumbing right now.

Thanks to everyone in advance!
    08-17-2010 07:57 AM
    Sounds to me like you're doing everything right, I don't know why hers would be not syncing everything. The only thing I could even think of to suggest is to make sure you have the latest versions of iTunes installed, but even that shouldn't make a huge difference like that. When you back up her 3GS just make sure everything syncs - like look at the tabs in iTunes to make sure the photo boxes are checked, address book, music, bookmarks, etc.

Well actually .. if you're on windows, I don't know how many of those sync like they do on a mac. But if they sync the same, the contacts should be backed up in the address book on windows. Maybe in Outlook or something? Anyways, once everything is backed up from the 3GS, and you plug in the i4, you should be able to restore from previous back up.
    08-17-2010 08:05 AM
    Connect the old phone. Make sure you do a backup of it, not just a sync.
    Connect the new phone and restore from the backup you just made. She should have EVERYTHING that was on the old device.
    08-17-2010 09:23 AM
    Connect the old phone. Make sure you do a backup of it, not just a sync.
    Connect the new phone and restore from the backup you just made. She should have EVERYTHING that was on the old device.
    If this doesn't work for you (and it should) you can always make an appointment with the Genius bar at your local Apple store and bring you phone and computer in and they will help you.
    08-17-2010 09:28 AM
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I woke up early one morning, called Apple tech support (they've always been really good). They sent me the tech notes on how to properly wipe iTunes clean for a fresh download. Did that, backed up the old phone, restored to new phone, and the address problem was corrected. BUT . . . the photos still didn't transfer. Located the cache file and deleted it, then did a power cycle while the phone was connected to iTunes and "BAM!" - there they are. Haven't had a problem since. Thanks again!
    08-25-2010 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD