iMovie Portrait mode

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Am I crazy, or does the iMovie app not let you record full portrait mode video?? Every time I try, it crops it down to a square format...is it just me?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It does that because portrait mode video is ridiculous.

To elaborate, iMovie only exports in 1280x720 at the highest resolution. The amount of pixels in height vs width and aspect ratio compared to the hw and ar of the actual video file would make it a huge waste of space.

Personally I think recording in portrait should not be allowed. The phone should record in landscape regardless of orientation (and it's possible, don't give me the sensor bullshniz people).

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
My real issue with it, I think, is that there's no indication of where the crop will be. Something like ustream's format (use top half for recording, bottom for ui) would be useful.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Resurrecting this old thread since this issue came up again today...a relative was using my phone and recorded a video in portrait mode. She wanted to edit it later using iMovie, but we found that the crop made it unusable, because the action was taking place outside of where iMovie forced us to crop the image.

Is there still no way to adjust the crop within the app (or to not use a crop at all)? Although the crop isn't the real issue--it's that iMovie doesn't seem to give any options about where that crop falls.

And if iMovie can't do it, can anyone suggest a good video editing app that can? Something that allows you to take a portrait-oriented video and decide for yourself which part to keep, or that at least gives you an onscreen viewfinder while shooting so you can see what part will be saved?

Thanks!

Zachary Anderson

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I am in the same boat? Is there no way for me to do this in iMovie? Ridiculous. One thing about Apple, the limit you in so many ways. If you find a way please let me know.