heres the problem, i received a replacement iPhone 4 (Refurbished) from apple on Thursday b/c of a busted Mic on my original I4. i have not been able to complete activation due to the wrong phone number showing up in iTunes when i plug in the iPhone. (Image attached below) I Cannot change the phone number manually.

my phone number is (912)71x-xxxx as you can see below the listed number is not my phone number.

even though the phone number is not right i tried inputting my billing zip and last 4 social, doesn't work.

i have tried having ATT replace the Sim card 3 times, has no effect on the issue.

i have restored in recovery mode and DFU mode, neither had any effect on my issue. i right clicked (using PC) on my iPhone and did not have the option to restore from backup. my only option was eject.

I called ATT (multiple times) to verify the right IMEI and Sim is on my account, still no change. ATT told me all my info is correct and they don't know what else to do then passed me off to Apple

Apple engineers are telling me its an ATT "activation server" error and are trying to get it fixed for me but its been two days without my phone so i'm losing my confidence in them.

so any ideas how to get the right phone number to show or circumvent this process altogether?

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...disp=inline&zw
    08-14-2010 08:10 AM
    You're right. I can't fix this problem. You've tried every possible thing a consumer can do.

Looks like you'll have to wait for that "activation server" error to be resolved.
    08-14-2010 08:44 AM
    lol thanks for the effort man i though i had tried everything but was hoping for a miracle
    08-14-2010 08:57 AM
    If only haha. But it it sounds to me like an iTunes server error. It clearly isn't getting the hint that there is a new phone number with that phone.
    08-14-2010 08:59 AM
    yeah exactly but guess all i can do is wait now.
    08-14-2010 09:07 AM
    What if you go to Settings>Phone and then change "My Number" to the correct number? Perhaps that is what iTunes is seeing as the incorrect phone number. I'm no expert, but it's a thought.
    08-14-2010 11:15 AM
    i cant do anything on the phone its stuck at the connedct to itunes screen. you can google "connect to itunes screen iphone" if you are not sure what it looks like.
    08-14-2010 11:48 AM
    i cant do anything on the phone its stuck at the connedct to itunes screen. you can google "connect to itunes screen iphone" if you are not sure what it looks like.
    I'm aware of what that screen looks like. Just didn't think about the fact that you might be stuck there. My bad.
    08-14-2010 11:57 AM
    its cool bert thanks for trying
    08-14-2010 12:13 PM
    Let me get this straight. This is a phone that came from apple and it has a phone number attached to it that isn't yours?

I would wonder where this mystery phone number came from. Perhaps take it to an apple genius and have them hook it up to their black box.
    08-14-2010 12:27 PM
    yeah refurbished from Apple, crazy right? Apple engineers cant tell me anything about the number. the nearest apple store is 3hrs away so thats not really an option chobbs... well it is an option i just refuse to drive that far. lol
    Last edited by bjames2785; 08-14-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    08-14-2010 12:45 PM
    Next time you buy a house, along with checking for schools, you need to consider where the nearest apple store is! Sheez!
    08-14-2010 12:53 PM
    apple wasn't even on my radar when i decided to play basketball for FSU (Florida State University) i was still giving blackberry chance after chance to fix their issues. haha
    08-14-2010 12:59 PM
    In any case I would get another replacement as it sounds as if you phone isn't wiped. I could be wrong, though. Hope you get it figured out and let us know the fix.
    08-14-2010 02:44 PM
    that is weird. i have been able to get past that screen WITHOUT Activating the iPhone with 3 different iPhone 4's so far.

if you "Connect to itunes", you should be able to get to the home screen, switch to Settings then turn on Airplane mode to prevent Activation so you can do whatever resets you need to do.
    08-14-2010 04:16 PM
    I am absolutely sure the phone is stuck on the connect to iTunes screen and no matter what i do it wont change. I'm requesting a new iPhone tomorrow. thanks for the help everyone.
    08-15-2010 07:28 PM
    You're right. I can't fix this problem. You've tried every possible thing a consumer can do.

Looks like you'll have to wait for that "activation server" error to be resolved.
    He didn't try everything. He could drive to the Apple store and hold the geeks hostage until they fix his problem.
    08-16-2010 09:49 AM
    stkywik lmao didn't think of that approach... next time i need my iphone replaced i'll make sure to consult u 1st for ideas. lol I'm having a new i4 sent to me so hopefully i wont have this same issue again *Crosses fingers*
    08-16-2010 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD