I always heard you could not get insurance through att for the iphone. When I got the ip4, they kept it on from my old phone. Not really sure.
    08-11-2010 07:19 PM
    Yeah this just sucks. It's a bit disappointing that the screen replacement is as much as the phone cost to begin with.

I've looked into replacing it myself, but I'm not sure about voiding my warranty to do so (meaning not sure how I feel about it). But since I dropped my phone, I guess my warranty is no good to me to begin with.
    08-11-2010 07:54 PM
    That's my biggest fear right now while I wait for my free case. I'd be devastated, too, if I broke my iPhone. It really is a beautiful piece of electronics. I try to be extra paranoid to keep it safe. It's only slipped off my lap one time, but the floor was carpeted, so no worries.
    08-12-2010 01:52 PM
    Everyone, please check with your home owners/renters insurance... Insured mine full retail price + taxes no deductible... was like an extra $20 a year or something.. now I can breath easy and not worry about losing breaking or it getting stolen...
    08-12-2010 03:03 PM
    yup, state farm.
    08-12-2010 03:45 PM
    So has anyone dropped their iPhone and replaced the front display themselves? I have found multiple sites with instructions on how to do it, as well as multiple places to acquire the new parts needed, but I am still fearful of doing it myself.

I know DIY voids my warranty, but if I dropped the phone breaking it myself the warranty is no good to me anyways.

Any suggestions, stories or tips on replacing it at home?
    08-12-2010 03:50 PM
    sorry to hear this this sucks really bad
    08-12-2010 04:09 PM
    If you are gutsy you can try to do a DIY repair, not as daunting as most people think. You can learn a lot by taking your iPhone apart. Find a video on youtube and give it shot...at your own risk. I've always been the type of person that liked to take things apart and put them back together.
    08-12-2010 05:14 PM
    I'm giving the AmEx purchase protection claim a shot. Hopefully it will work out and won't take too long
    Sounds like i will be reimbursed for the repair.

And I'm going to put the phone back in it's bumper or a better case for sure. Lesson learned kids
    08-13-2010 04:47 PM
    I'm giving the AmEx purchase protection claim a shot. Hopefully it will work out and won't take too long
    Sounds like i will be reimbursed for the repair.

And I'm going to put the phone back in it's bumper or a better case for sure. Lesson learned kids
    I am glad I thought of the AmEx Purchase Protection Plan. It has saved me money several times but I have also forgotten to use it several times when it might have. Once or twice I have used PayPal or some other method to pay for something and have missed the coverage.

Please let us know if it works out.
    08-13-2010 05:27 PM
    Just wanted to update everyone

Got my phone replaced thanks to American Express (thanks whmurray for the suggestion I look into that). I had to call my bank's help line as they provide the AMEX, and after filling out a lot of paperwork I was able to be reimbursed for the replacement cost. I had to send the phone in to Apple for repair, and then send over my repair receipt along with the documentation on the original purchase of the phone to the AMEX claims people.

Received my repaired phone, and just yesterday got my reimbursement check. I also now have an Incase Slider on the phone (love the case).

So don't hesitate to investigate the AMEX purchase protection route if you happen to drop your brand new phone!
    09-21-2010 01:19 PM
    Glad it all worked out for you. It is horrible to be apart from your phone!!!! I cant believe how "obsessed" I am getting with mine!LOL
    09-21-2010 06:40 PM
    Alot of the local hack shops claim $150 for screen replacement on IP4 in Atlanta...perhaps the same in your city? My friend tried the apple store route and they just stuck to the $199 charge after his pleas for free repair. He got the $150 replacement and all was well...he said the only problem he found afterwards was the same day it was repaired the screen didnt respond properly but said it has since returned to normal.
    09-22-2010 07:47 AM
    I'm surprised your screen broke, I closed the car door on my iPhone 4 and the side is only a little bit scratched and warped a tiny bit. And I heard the crunch.

Did you have a case or screen protector on it?

Hope you find a solution, I was devastated when I thought I broke mine so I kinda know how you feel.
    09-22-2010 05:29 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD