my iPhone 4 has horrible battery life, just started recently, I jailbroke 2 days ago and the phone wouldn't even make through the night, I would set it down beside bed at around 2:30 am and wake up at 10:30, and sometime between 2:30 and 10:30 it dies. I then restored and set up as new phone, and noticed today the battery has improved some but not right, in the usage it says it has 1 hour 45 minutes of usage and 7 hours standby and it has gone from 100% to 50%. Before that jailbreak it would go 2-3 days without charge before needing to be plugged in. It has not been jailbroken again since restore.

Any idea's on how to get battery life back up?
    08-11-2010 02:42 AM
    You may have a defective battery ... If it doesn't improve, just take it to apple and they will replace it. I just did this with a iPad ... I restored and backed up and took it in and said "My battery life sucks" Genius said did you restore, I said "yes, look it's all original settings" .. She immediately replaced my ipad for me.
    08-11-2010 02:45 AM
    You may have a defective battery ... If it doesn't improve, just take it to apple and they will replace it. I just did this with a iPad ... I restored and backed up and took it in and said "My battery life sucks" Genius said did you restore, I said "yes, look it's all original settings" .. She immediately replaced my ipad for me.
    I don't have an apple store close, and the phone has an extremely small crack on the back in a corner.
    08-11-2010 02:47 AM
    @Corv,
    Call them and arrange to send it in, they can send you an advanced replacement iPhone and put a hold on your credit card or they can send you a box to ship yours in and you'll get a new one back within a week.

They won't care about a tiny crack. I scratched my 3GS's screen pretty bad and when I brought it in because the vibrate switch was broken, they still gave me a new one.
    08-11-2010 04:12 AM
    OP - do you have 'Signal' app installed? that is said to keep running in background unless manually killed... i know for me I've noticed that if i forget and leave it running, the battery drains down like no tomorrow...

and just as a last resort since you've already restored... do a full battery cycle... ie. let it drain until the iP4 shuts down by itself, then plug it in (with the wall charger, not usb) for a full overnight charge... many of us are reaching 1month + with our iP4s, and there is a school of thought that li-ion, while not having memory like the old NiMH batts... still benefit from a once a month full cycle...
    08-11-2010 09:12 AM
    Swap it out.. save yourself the pain of trouble shooting and just let Apple deal with it.
    08-11-2010 10:48 AM
    Did you restore as new or restore from a backup? If it was from a backup try restoring as new and see if that fixes your battery issue.
    08-11-2010 11:14 AM
    Did you restore as new or restore from a backup? If it was from a backup try restoring as new and see if that fixes your battery issue.
    As new, just set up a genius appointment for saturday, we'll see how it goes with a 2 cm crack in the back corner of phone.
    08-11-2010 01:50 PM
    I JB my 3GS and had battery issues after. Even after a restore, I still had battery issues and eventually had to swap it. I wont ever JB again
    08-11-2010 01:56 PM
    Crack shouldn't matter if it's a defective battery. Heck, my closest Apple Store is over an hour away and I would drive to it if I had a problem, especially if I thought I might get a new device for one that was slightly damaged! LOL! Of course, if you do decide to drive, make an appointment! I made that mistake once, and at that time the closest store was more like 2 hours away. They went ahead and saw me because it was my first time there, my first problem with an iPod, and I lived 2 hours away. They were really nice!
    08-11-2010 02:01 PM
    Crack shouldn't matter if it's a defective battery. Heck, my closest Apple Store is over an hour away and I would drive to it if I had a problem, especially if I thought I might get a new device for one that was slightly damaged! LOL! Of course, if you do decide to drive, make an appointment! I made that mistake once, and at that time the closest store was more like 2 hours away. They went ahead and saw me because it was my first time there, my first problem with an iPod, and I lived 2 hours away. They were really nice!
    It is about 2 hours to closest one. I have called and talked to them, i'm on for a genius appointment Saturday
    08-11-2010 04:42 PM
    I updated to 4.0.2 and for whatever reason, my battery is back to normal, but I think I'm still going to swap it out, if for no other reason than to get rid of a small crack
    08-11-2010 11:19 PM
    Hey, think of it this way. You get to explore the Apple Store! LOL! Not to mention you can get rid of the phone with the crack. First time I was in an Apple Store, I spent three hours playing with all the toys in there, I was like a 5 year old at a Toys R Us! My husband has threatened to not let me near the Apple Store in Times Square when we go to New York next year. He'll have to hold me back!
    08-12-2010 09:55 AM
    I updated to 4.0.2 and for whatever reason, my battery is back to normal, but I think I'm still going to swap it out, if for no other reason than to get rid of a small crack
    I have to second this. The update seems to have a good effect on battery life.
    08-13-2010 07:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD