iPhone 4 on an AT&T Blackberry Plan / SIM

Skullhead69

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My company is making us go to Blackberry and will be sending me an AT&T Blackberry. I currently have an AT&T iPhone 4 jailbroken and unlocked. Aside from the mini/micro SIM aspect of it, can I get my iPhone to work on a BB plan? I have a SIM cutter ordered and in the mail. Will I be able to just pop the BB sim into my i4 and use it? I DO NOT want to have to get rid of my i4 and go back to a BB and don't want to have to pay for and carry another phone. There's gotta be a way to make it work. Right?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
You can make it work, but if your company is "making" you, I'm sure
you'll have to get permission first as it could be grounds for termination
using unauthorized equipment for something they're paying for.

Skullhead69

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Making = they are only paying for a BB plan, not iPhone, and want the BB to be able to access thier VPN, which I don't care to have. I can teather my iPhone to my laptop with MyWi and get my email when I want. Will the data and such work on that BB plan / SIM if my i4 is unlocked? They won't terminate me for using another device but they won't switch my plan to an iPhone plan even though it's all ATT.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
AT&T could alert the account owner that someone is using an iPhone with the incorrect data plan as you are required to have the correct data plan for each smart phone. Also what if a co-worker sends you a BBM?

Skullhead69

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have heard that they could automatically switch you to an iPhone plan if they "detect" that which I would love! As, I cannot change a corporate plan w/o the password. As far as BBM, I don't get the diff between that and text. My boss knows I'm trying to do this and is ok with it. I think I'd just have to tell everyone to text me as opposed to BBM me, right? What's the BBM vs text thing?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
BBM pretty much just BB's own text/IM application that is strictly BB to BB.

I would be more concerned with AT&T. They are going to know you are using the iPhone with the wrong data plan instantly. They may let your company know and it's up to the company to decide what to do. If they do nothing and let you go that still does not satisfy AT&T's requirement and they may just turn off the data until you get the right plan on the account.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Even if the i4 is unlocked, they'll know?!

Unlocked has nothing to do with that. Every phone has it's own ID called an IMEI number, AT&T will know you are using an iPhone as soon as you connect to their network and are not using an iPhone data plan.

Skullhead69

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Come on Cydia app nerds...make an IMEI faker app ASAP!!! I'm counting on you boys!!!

....I just want the BB that they send me's IMEI to show up and not the i4 I'm using. Nothing stolen folks!!! All mine!

Last edited:

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
Come on Cydia app nerds...make an IMEI faker app ASAP!!! I'm counting on you boys!!!

....I just want the BB that they send me's IMEI to show up and not the i4 I'm using. Nothing stolen folks!!! All mine!

while your not trying to do anything illegal i understand your problem but imei's are each unique to the device its not a model number but a serial number so you would have to steal someones serial number so apps like this could have serious ramifications in terms of legality. (again i know you are not trying to do this.)

1. At&t wont do anything about this unless you start using vast amounts of data. i have used unlocked tmobile android devices on my Blackberry plan on AT&T (personal) and never had any issues or recieved notices from AT&T and have used my 9000 bold on my iphone plan. The only time the imei is noticed is when you want AT&T to have the correct data on their end. Never missed a call/text/or data outage for using a different device than what was registered to the account since i have unlimited messaging/data

2. Phone does not need to be unlocked/jailbroken since that only affects your phones software not the network. unless you were trying to go to t-mobile.

3. if your boss is ok with you using your iphone on their plan what is the issue all the data plans are the same price unless they are trying to force you to use the 200mb plan which would suck.

4. BBM uses a pin unique to each BB so it is like an im/text program built in that uses the data plan great because it can be used over wifi in low coverage areas but no different than texting BB addicts just like it, you can do groups but not really a revolutionary feature there.

Honestly theres only 2 approaches to take go to the higher ups state the case and save them the money from buying you a blackberry, or just put the sim in since nothing will change on AT&T's end as long as you stay within messaging and data limits i cannot foresee an issue and have them just email you instead of BBM. good luck

Skullhead69

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
while your not trying to do anything illegal i understand your problem but imei's are each unique to the device its not a model number but a serial number so you would have to steal someones serial number so apps like this could have serious ramifications in terms of legality. (again i know you are not trying to do this.)

1. At&t wont do anything about this unless you start using vast amounts of data. i have used unlocked tmobile android devices on my Blackberry plan on AT&T (personal) and never had any issues or recieved notices from AT&T and have used my 9000 bold on my iphone plan. The only time the imei is noticed is when you want AT&T to have the correct data on their end. Never missed a call/text/or data outage for using a different device than what was registered to the account since i have unlimited messaging/data

2. Phone does not need to be unlocked/jailbroken since that only affects your phones software not the network. unless you were trying to go to t-mobile.

3. if your boss is ok with you using your iphone on their plan what is the issue all the data plans are the same price unless they are trying to force you to use the 200mb plan which would suck.

4. BBM uses a pin unique to each BB so it is like an im/text program built in that uses the data plan great because it can be used over wifi in low coverage areas but no different than texting BB addicts just like it, you can do groups but not really a revolutionary feature there.

Honestly theres only 2 approaches to take go to the higher ups state the case and save them the money from buying you a blackberry, or just put the sim in since nothing will change on AT&T's end as long as you stay within messaging and data limits i cannot foresee an issue and have them just email you instead of BBM. good luck

Thank you! We'll see how it goes when they send it to me and I pop it in. My boss has said they have restricted what apps he can download on his Curve (no Pandora) with a message stating something about that app using up too much bandwith. He's thinking about asking if he can pay for an upgraded data plan because of this. I appreciate all the help! Have a good one

mg48

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have a corp provided BB that I have been pulling the sim card out of and putting it in my iphone for 1 1/2 yrs now. I use the BB weeks days 8-5 and iphone most nights and weekends. No one has ever been the wiser. Unitl I went on vacation. A one week of vacation was long enough for ATT to send an email to my corp IT team stating my acct was on the wrong plan and did they want to switch plans ot an iphone plan? Call ATT to resolve this issue... I just told them my BB battery had died and I needed to do some work and didnt want to burn someone elses data and minutes so I swapped sims cards until I was able to get the BB back up. They said "great idea" but dont make it a regular practice. I snickered and said OK. So now I make sure I get it back into the BB every 3 days for a while.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
Thank you! We'll see how it goes when they send it to me and I pop it in. My boss has said they have restricted what apps he can download on his Curve (no Pandora) with a message stating something about that app using up too much bandwith. He's thinking about asking if he can pay for an upgraded data plan because of this. I appreciate all the help! Have a good one

sadly that sounds like they are using the minimalist 200mb data plan so you might want to stick with your own plan because you will probably eat through that 200mb very quickly.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
Dose Visual Voicemail work on the iPhone when you do that?

i have never used visual voicemail myself but it should if the feature is enabled on the account if im not mistaken does at&T still require a special feature for VVM? if it does and it is enabled then you will have no problem and if they do not require it then there is no problem.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a question. It sounds like you already have an iPhone with an iPhone data plan... who pays for that? If you have your own iPhone and are already paying for it yourself, what's the big deal with your boss handing you a BlackBerry that he is paying for?

Yeah, as it sits now, you'll have to carry two devices, but you still have your iPhone, and your's still paying for it, just like before.

Or are you trying to get your boss to pay for your iPhone usage? Not accusing, just trying to understand the facts...

But I guarantee you that AT&T will notice the iPhone on the BB data plan and at least try to "fix" it...

Also, once you have cut down the SIM to fit in the iPhone, how do you plan to use it in the BlackBerry when that is absolutely necessary?

jeffnucci

May 11, 2009
Visit site
All this talk of data plans is all obsolete. Now its purely DataPro and DataPlus. it's not device specific anymore. I have a very good friend who works at AT&T. I have a BB Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S (refuse to call it the Captivate) and my iPhone 4. I swap my stuff all the time and AT&T doesn't notice.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
All this talk of data plans is all obsolete. Now its purely DataPro and DataPlus. it's not device specific anymore. I have a very good friend who works at AT&T. I have a BB Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S (refuse to call it the Captivate) and my iPhone 4. I swap my stuff all the time and AT&T doesn't notice.

There absolutely are differences in the data plans. Sure, there are two levels, DataPro (200MB/$15 mo) and DataPlus (2GB/$25 mo) plus the original unlimited (5GB/$30 mo)... but they are device specific.

You cannot access any of the RIM servers or RIM server-based apps without a BlackBerry specific data plan. Period. The other phone types may bleed over between them, but for a BlackBerry device, a BlackBerry data plan is requred.

Now, to say that AT&T "doesn't notice"... how do you know that? What you are really saying is that AT&T hasn't said anything TO YOU (yet) about the ongoing SIM swap... but those are two distinctly different statements ("AT&T doesn't notice" and "AT&T hasn't said anything to me yet").

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
There absolutely are differences in the data plans. Sure, there are two levels, DataPro (200MB/$15 mo) and DataPlus (2GB/$25 mo) plus the original unlimited (5GB/$30 mo)... but they are device specific.

You cannot access any of the RIM servers or RIM server-based apps without a BlackBerry specific data plan. Period. The other phone types may bleed over between them, but for a BlackBerry device, a BlackBerry data plan is requred.

Now, to say that AT&T "doesn't notice"... how do you know that? What you are really saying is that AT&T hasn't said anything TO YOU (yet) about the ongoing SIM swap... but those are two distinctly different statements ("AT&T doesn't notice" and "AT&T hasn't said anything to me yet").

i think what the OP is simply trying to accomplish is avoiding carrying 2 devices since he needs to have his work line seems like he simply wanted to consolidate.

your correct they could have noticed my sim swapping but if they dont want to tell me to stop then it doesnt bother me since i have the highest available data and i dont use excessive amounts of data less than 500mb a month so if they switched for it me wouldnt have been an issue, but i monitor my account regularly and they never would change the data plan was my point. i should have clarified because you are right i do not know for sure if they notice the swapping.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW