iPhone 4 - Restore as New?

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Forgive me if this has been asked before but my head hurts from searching and not having any luck.

If I restore my iPhone 4 "as new", I will obviously wipe all my apps off it. Can I then reinstall these apps without having to pay for them again?

I previously owned a 3GS, when I got my iP4 and connected to iTunes I used the restore from backup not the option to set up as new. I am just concerened that some of the "dross" from my 3GS would be carried over to the iP4 and potentially slow it down or cause other problems in the future.

In my mind I would like the iP4 to be clean and then just install the apps I
want.

Am I worrying over nothing and being to OCD?

FYI both the 3GS and iP4 are running iOS 4.0.1 and neither are, or have ever been, Jailbroken.

Thanks.

jackgreen

Aug 3, 2010
www.wristbreakergame.com
I installed my new phone as "new". All apps are still in Your iTune and re-installable to Your new phone. All mail accounts and sync settings (mails, contacts, music, photos etc) need to configure again.

Jack

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
well I would like to add a question to this, after doing the fresh install is there any way to get saves back from games/apps like angry birds or final fantasy, or even true shuffle? I, like wallace, still have my 3gs so i have access to these save but would like them back on my i4. Thanks if you guy know of a way let me know.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Restoring as new will loose your saves. I do not know of a way to keep them when restoring as new.

Try doing your restore from your backup first and if you have performance issues then you can restore as new

KingofHeart4711

Apr 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
If you restore as new and disregard the backup, you can still put your apps back on when syncing with itunes but yeah your game save will be lost. It will all start fresh unless its an online enabled game like farmville or godfinger of course

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
You will not have to re-purchase your iTunes apps. Apple stores a log of your purchases. just restroe as new and re-download. Unless as stated above, you saved your mail accounts and contacts info you will need to re enter.

xxjokerxx

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
If you have mobile me youre good. Just go into setting and log in to your account and turn sync on. It all redownloads to your phone withing seconds. Sweetest thing ever, I just wish Mobile me was cheaper

Thanks for clearing that up.
When I bought my iPhone last month, I had the option to subscribe to MobileMe for 69.99 in store.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
What are the advantages of MobileMe over Gmail? My contacts, calendars, mail are all synced in the cloud w/Gmail for free, so setting up my iPhone 4 as a new phone still only took me entering my login info.

I'm aware of the Find My Phone feature, but what are the other high points for people who pay for the service?

dnorth86#AC

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I have both MobileMe and Gmail and as much as I love Google the MobileMe just seems to work a little better. Then again, I use an iPad, iPhone 4, and Macbook Pro throughout my day and syncs between all of them within seconds and I don't have to set up hardly anything. The Find my iPhone/iPad feature is a handy security feature I suppose.. $99 is a joke though.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
If you have multiple Mac products MobileMe is just a better alternative period. Push via Gmail is hit and miss, whereas my experience with MobileMe is that it just works better. Also having your bookmarks, notes, calendar and contacts all in sync on all devices within mere seconds is great. But it goes even further in that I can upload pictures directly to my photo album galleries and make them available for family or friends to view in real time. I can make use of iDisk to store and or have access to files on all my devices which again are all aways in sync.

If you ever misplace your phone, which believe it or not does happen. The Find my phone feature it worth the $99 a lone. You can send a signal to your phone for it to beep until you locate it. It will also give pertinent information to anyone that finds the phone. Last, but not least you can also with a single command have it lock and or even wipe the iPhone, iPad, iPod so that none of your data is compromised.

The web interface is easy and also makes for easy web site hosting as well. I have a program on my Mac called Dreamweaver and it allows me to manage my web site, makes changes/updates all sent very quickly right to my MobileMe account then available on the web. You share files via iDisk, or Photo's setup for download even making a download button available for easy quick downloads.

It is a great service in my book. I am a long, long time Google Apps user and Google in my book has nothing to compare to it in terms of the total package.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner