Defective iPhone 4 battery? Won't charge to 100%

Bennieficial

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had my iPhone 4 since launch and never really had any problems with it. But ever since I moved into this house where I get either no service or 1 bar of 3g service (2 at maximum) I noticed that my battery no longer charges to 100%. I charge it every night as I'm sleeping. It will only charge to the 93-96% mark. In fact, it will even decrease WHILE its on the charger! I thought that this was because the iPhone is straining to search for service, so I turned on airplane mode but I get the same problem. I am using my wall charger. Does it sound like I have a defective battery or is there a way to fix it?

Last edited:

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I believe it is defective but then again, I would NEVER leave any device plugged in charging overnight. It's just unnecessary. My iPhone 4 loses 1-2% battery overnight. Does that sounds like it should be plugged up constantly?

Bennieficial

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
yes I do leave it on the charger, because if I take it off it will constantly drain because I'm in a very low reception area in my house and majority of the time its searching for service

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I believe it is defective but then again, I would NEVER leave any device plugged in charging overnight. It's just unnecessary. My iPhone 4 loses 1-2% battery overnight. Does that sounds like it should be plugged up constantly?

It's ok to leave your phone charging all night. When the phone reaches its full charge, internal circuitry stops the charge. My i4 never fails to reach 100% charge at night. Both of you have issues with your batteries.

Bennieficial

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
does apple exchange just the battery or do they have to exchange the whole phone? because I have a $30 invisishield on it that I don't want to lose

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
They replace the entire phone. You are more than welcome to talk to them and see what they say about the thing you have on it.

Bennieficial

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh that sucks. And what if I get one of the iphone 4's that have the reception problems in the bottom left corner? Would they swap it out again or just give me that bumper crap?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Oh that sucks. And what if I get one of the iphone 4's that have the reception problems in the bottom left corner? Would they swap it out again or just give me that bumper crap?

haha, it is amazing how most people are satisfied with the whole bumper thing

i said it before and i will say it again; when i end up getting my i4 and if i have to get a bumper in order for it to work properly.... i will bring it right back, go back to my 3G and wait till next year

the end

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Before you take it in try letting the phone discharge completely then try charging it back up. It might just be the battery indicator is not calibrated correctly

ladytonya

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
The Zagg Invisishield is guaranteed if you have registered it on their website. You can order a replacement shield for free (well, you have to pay shipping) if you phone has to be replaced. I definitely wouldn't let that $30 purchase stop you from exchanging a several hundred dollar phone if it's defective.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
haha, it is amazing how most people are satisfied with the whole bumper thing

i said it before and i will say it again; when i end up getting my i4 and if i have to get a bumper in order for it to work properly.... i will bring it right back, go back to my 3G and wait till next year

the end

Awesome opinion, but this thread isnt about the reception issue, its about OPs issues, go blog in your own thread....oh and if those are your requirements for an iP4, have fun with your 3G 'til next year, or two years when they design change! Later skeets

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Awesome opinion, but this thread isnt about the reception issue, its about OPs issues, go blog in your own thread....oh and if those are your requirements for an iP4, have fun with your 3G 'til next year, or two years when they design change! Later skeets

hmmmm, that's odd... i didn't see anything in your post either that helped with the OP's concern as well

and another thing, is it odd to require a phone to work properly without a band-aid attached to it?

Bennieficial

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The Zagg Invisishield is guaranteed if you have registered it on their website. You can order a replacement shield for free (well, you have to pay shipping) if you phone has to be replaced. I definitely wouldn't let that $30 purchase stop you from exchanging a several hundred dollar phone if it's defective.

wow really? Well I don't think I have the receipt or packaging anymore, I might have to look

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
hmmmm, that's odd... i didn't see anything in your post either that helped with the OP's concern as well

and another thing, is it odd to require a phone to work properly without a band-aid attached to it?

Mine works properly without it. No requirement for a band-aid here. Sucks to be the ones who have this issue.

ladytonya

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Go to Zagg.com and enter your info, I don't think you need the receipt. Only thing I remember answering is where I purchased and the date. Very easy registration process!

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Don't forget to try the battery drain first! It can't hurt and you may find that the battery meter just needed calibration
And then no worrying about your invisashield. Which, btw, could have voided your warranty if you got liquid on the moisture indicator.

ladytonya

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
That's why I pay Best Buy $8 to install it! They get liquid on the moisture indicator, it's their problem! No way would I try to install the shield with a wet installation, too paranoid about damaging my iPhone.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I have read horror stories about that. Best buy will do whatever they can to not replace it. If they do mess up and get your indicator wet, be ready for a whole lot of inconvenience.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro