Mail app and local notifications...

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I am probably the only one in the world that loves the IOS in your face notifications, so why didn't apple do for the email app what they did with the sms app. OK so i use Boxcar now, but is never on time and i can only forward one email (right now Gmail). OK so i can forward all my emails to gmail and then solve that issue but money hungry yahoo makes you pay 20 dollars a year for forwarding... so i just don't get it, how hard is it to make it a setting on or off for local email notifications...i just hope that someone makes an app very soon that will do this for me locally so I don't have to wait for a notification server to send me the notifications 5 minutes after the email was read.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
You sir, are insane. The notifications are garbage for this day in age. Funny how this day in age is only the 4th generation.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Wait a minute. Let me get this straight. willthetech, you actually want the same notification for email that you have for sms? So that if you get email and the notification pops up, and then immediately get an sms, you will never know you got an email?

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Wait a minute. Let me get this straight. willthetech, you actually want the same notification for email that you have for sms? So that if you get email and the notification pops up, and then immediately get an sms, you will never know you got an email?

No... i just one a pop up bubble telling me i got an email and from who, or something close to it. boxcar does it for me but sometimes the push notifications can be late, shoot sometimes i am done reading the email and then i get the bubble push notification. I guess is a bad habit i cant shake off from my old red blinking light days...so i am thinking that with local notifications there is not delay... right? or am i interpreting local notifications wrong?:(

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Boxcar is not local notification, it goes through a server (push notification). I generally get Boxcar notifications before a tweet shows up in TweetDeck on my pc.

Right now, there are very few local notifications on the iPhone - sms, calendar, email. There are a few apps that are now giving you local notifications (as opposed to push notification), notably some calendar apps. Not sure what else has taken advantage of local notification yet.