potential new to iphone

cnc7

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Hello. I'm a Droid incredible user and have always wanted an iPhone and have always. Watched you guys from afar well I'm thinking of making the jump to the iPhone 4. I have a few questions that can possibly make my move final i hope you can help
1. Maps/navigation. I use this feature everyday on android the Google maps and turn by turn voice is amazing and i rely on it heavily. Can or will the iPhone do the same or better? I need the voice turn by turn
2. Google affiliation. 90% of my business documents are on Google docs. Does the iPhone sync with Google like android. I understand that the incredible is a Google phone so I'm not expecting the iPhone to have everything Google.
These are and will be my deciding factors if you know of anything else you feel would be of interest please feel free to add it in. Pros or cons
Thank you in advance for your time and hopefully i will become a member to this family

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
By default, Apple doesn't have turn by turn navigation with voice. You can install 3rd party apps that can do that.

As far as google docs, it would all be web-based and doesn't support all features.

maxaudet

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Also, for Google Docs, there are 3rd party apps that can connect to your Google Docs (The one I use is Document to Go from Datawiz). It can also connect to Dropbox and others too.

You have to buy it though.

cnc7

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the input. By chance do you know if the turn by turn navigation third party app is equivalent to the android or not.
I have heard of docs to go if I do make the move that will be my first purchase

ssampath

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Mapquest has a very functional turn-by-turn navigation app that is free. I also tried Waze that is a innovative "social" navigation app. Both of these are free. If you are willing to pay there is Tomtom and a bunch of others. Mapquest is the best of the free ones I think and works OK -but it is way easier to get a $100.00 Garmin or Tomtom standalone for the car.

Google mail, contacts and calendar all sync over the net very nicely in iOS 4.x. I have not used Google docs.

I noticed that most of my friends who have Android phones don't seem to have as many apps installed as my friends who have iPhones! In the iPhone world it is all about the apps!!!

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Please don't use the Mapquest turn-by-turn app... it's extremely inaccurate and will lead you in the wrong direction most of the time! Do yourself a favor and download GPS Drive by Motion-X for $0.99. I've contacted this developer several times via email and he's always responded to me within 3 hours, even on a holiday! Magnificent app that gives you extremely accurate directions and it syncs well with your iPod app. You get 30 days free turn-by-turn directions after which you can purchase a $2.99 a month package on an as-needed basis or sign up for a full year for only $24.99.

ladytonya

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
The Mapquest app is the best cheap or free app for navigation. Why pay a monthly fee? If I wanted to spend that much money I would just buy a dedicated GPS, Tom Tom or Garmin. If you really want to use your phone, Tom Tom has a great GPS app but it is expensive, that's why I went with Mapquest. I drive all over the mountains of Western North Carolina and it's never sent me wrong! That app actually just showed me a quicker way to get from Asheville to Charlotte, a different way than any GPS had ever sent me and a road that I didn't even know existed, so I am loving my Mapquest GPS right now! LOL!

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
TomTom USA was $49.99 but now it's $39.99 I do believe, at least it was last time I checked it out. Definitely beats a subscription. I'm hoping that they add the Darth Vader voice like they have available for the standalone units, that would rock!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2