Week - 27 iP4 Replacement STILL Has Issues!!

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Just when I thought I'd gotten the "perfect" replacement iPhone 4...it suddenly begins to exhibit the same proximity sensor issues my original one had!

I inadvertently put three incoming calls on "mute" last night because the PS failed and I hit the mute button with my cheek.

My nearest Apple store is over three-hours away...and I made that trip once to do an exchange. I refuse to do that again only to get another phone with the same problem!

What to do?

Makes returning to the ultra-reliable BlackBerry more attractive than ever! Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Come on, Apple...get your act together!

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Apple has promised a fix for this in the next software update. Not saying all phones have this but it is a known bug. I have gotten a replacement as well and it is worse than my original. It does not do it all the time but I have to make sure I keep it close to my ear during calls. I would say stick with what you have and wait for the update. If you just can't do it, return it and sit tight with Blackberry. WHo knows, you may want the new 9800 slider when it comes out.

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Week 27 iphone is the same as a day 1 iphone still except 4.0.1 vs 4.0

there has not been a hardware revision so week # in nonsensical and means nothing yet (think week 40 3gs)

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Proximity Sensor is a known bug Apple has said will be patched in the next software update.

Almost correct. Apple say they "hoped" to have the proximity sensor fixed in the next software update. I expect it to be released in September based upon past habits for them. Probably a case of underpromising and overdelivering.

Testing the Beta 2 release, the sensor is NOT fixed. Nor is the indoor white balance issue that has been documented as well.

Last edited:

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Almost correct. Apple say they "hoped" to have the proximity sensor fixed in the next software update. I expect it to be released in September based upon past habits for them. Probably a case of underpromising and overdelivering.

Testing the Beta 2 release, the sensor is NOT fixed. Nor is the indoor white balance issue that has been documented as well.

Kinda makes you think what Apple is addressing with the coming update if it's not these two issues.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Kinda makes you think what Apple is addressing with the coming update if it's not these two issues.

Well keep in mind that this is beta 2, not beta 5 or GM candidate. They update code, we test, they go over the reports, update again and so on. These two issues are the most glaring at the moment, outside of the antenna (for which there is NO fix humanly possible), but I am sure there are other issues that will be addressed.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Had a long & totally fruitless conversation with an Apple "senior supervisor" today regarding my issue, and called the proximity sensor a "software & hardware issue" but said nothing about a future update fixing anything.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
The prox sensor "is" a known software issue. Apple stated that in the press conference when they announced the bumpers, they also stated a software update would fix it - 4.1 does fix it, and it's in beta 3. it'll probably be released in september. but regardless how many times you swap it, you'll still have it.

a quick workaround (for now), when it starts doing it again, go into settings --> General ---> Reset and from there, reset all network settings and all settings. it will not delete anything from your phone, just reset brightness, etc and network passwords. pain, but it will stop it from doing it for a good week or so. it's a workaround until 4.1

Reactions: fresh1

Rolf

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I just pivot my phone out away from my face a little bit, and my phone barely comes in contact with my face enough to mute it. But I did that anyway.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro