Rebooting my iphone 4 - Apps still running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
So i just noticed that when i restart or power off my iphone 4 and then power it back up all the apps that were running before the restart are still listed on the fast app switch screen. is this normal?

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
This is very much normal. I only wished there were a faster way to close these apps instead of holding down the icon for a few secs.

isaac65

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
They're not acutually running. Don't worry about it. The fast app switcher is more like a quick way to access the last apps you used. If they are running in the background you will see an icon in the task bar like the play icon you see when the iPod app is playing. Otherwise it will just leave the app in a saved state.

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I've used windows mobile and blackberry. I much prefer Apple's form of multitasking over both of those.

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This is very much normal. I only wished there were a faster way to close these apps instead of holding down the icon for a few secs.
Really that lazy than to hold them down and rapid tap for about five seconds? You're not going to miss anything in those five seconds. trust me.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
If the apps are in a saved state then they have to be "saved" some where. I had about 40 apps in the tray the other day and some apps started crashing on my iP4 for the first time. I was assuming these apps are in saved state on the flash memory and not the RAM but after opening more and trying it seems like they are using RAM to me.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think apple missed something that i noticed while using a Pre for about a year and following along in the forums.

People LIKE to close apps easily and not leave them running. Yeah i know..its saved state. But people don't care about that distinction. When you're done with an app, you're done. It needs to disappear. And Palm made it fun to close them by just "swooshing" them away.

Others would chime in saying leave those apps open. You got a Pre, it's multitasking. You CAN leave them open. But most don't do that. It's a weird mentality.

Personally, i feel let down by apple's version of multitasking. It sucks. Not for the reasons above but because it isn't true multitasking. And it relies on 3rd party dev's updating their apps. It's inconsistent. It doesn't "just work" and is unlike Apple. Where copy n paste was well implemented after apple taking their sweet time, multitasking just isn't..even after apple took their sweet time.

I can't say anymore what apple does, it does well. Because that's not true. Apple threw out the 3GS design and changed the hardware. They need to do something like that with iOS because unlike the 3GS design, this does need fixing..at least where multitasking and notifications are concerned.

Last edited:

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I say wait for Jailbreak. I am sure there will be some enterprising developer that will have a very cool way to kill all tasks.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Really that lazy than to hold them down and rapid tap for about five seconds? You're not going to miss anything in those five seconds. trust me.

Well in that five seconds I waste closing apps could be spent doing other things.....like replying to smartasses like you....:eek:

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Uh oh! This thread is getting ugly

The only part about how apple has implemented this "multitasking" that I don't like is not being able to close all the apps very easily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73