Is it normal to loose 20% battery while I sleep?

boggie

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I find that I can have 100% battery when I go to bed and 7-8 hours later I can have a little as 72% left.

Is it normal to loose that amount of battery while the phone is on standby?

Oh and I have an iPhone 4.

beeg612

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
It depends. If you have apps running, like rss, push, email, etc, it will reduce your battery life. However, your battery life shouldn't be reduced as much as you're showing. I would lose about 10-15% overnight with my 3GS and now, with the iPhone 4, I only lose about 5% overnight. I've noticed a significant increase in battery life with the iPhone 4. If you're seeing that much of an overnight loss, you should see what all you have running because that may be causing an extra drain on your battery. Unless you're receiving massive emails every few minutes, I still don't think you should be seeing a loss like you are.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It's not out of the realm of possibility. Do you have push notifications on, and if so, do you get a lot of emails? That will kill your battery. Also, if you were downloading anything like a movie will obviously use battery power. Leaving location services and bluetooth on all the time can do it an there might also have been an app running in the background that is using a lot of battery power.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
No that's not normal. Last night my iPhone 4 lost 3% battery. Wifi on, push notifications on, exchange email with push, etc.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It will also depend on your reception area. If you are in a strong signal area, you'll be fine, but if the phone is regularly trying to find a stronger signal, your phone will die faster.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
not to skirt the issue (and i'm glad others have answered your question helpfully), wouldn't it make sense to keep your phone plugged in overnight? :)

Even when it's plugged in overnight it stops charging at a full charge. So if he
sleeps for eight hours, but the phone stops charging at hour 5 because it's full,
it's not charging for those last 3 hours.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Even when it's plugged in overnight it stops charging at a full charge. So if he
sleeps for eight hours, but the phone stops charging at hour 5 because it's full,
it's not charging for those last 3 hours.

It's still drawing power and wasting electricity for 3 hours. You can top up the charge at work or in the car.

OP, you may want to try to reset the battery meter. Run it all the way down until the iPhone shuts off and displays the "needs to be plugged in" symbol and then charge it all the way up. See what happens after that.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
These batteries work best when topped off whenever possible. Letting it drain down all the way isn't the answer. These are different cell phone batteries than those of yesteryear.

Rollingrock

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
On my 3GS, I would lose anywhere from 10-20% overnight until I tried shutting off 3G and nothing else, I was able to maintain 95-98% after 8 hours. On the iP4, there are times I would lose just 1% overnight, and on the worse nights it's a mere 3%. (and this with leaving 3G on)

haris#IM

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
battery

These batteries work best when topped off whenever possible. Letting it drain down all the way isn't the answer. These are different cell phone batteries than those of yesteryear.

Hi. I always top off my battery when it is drain down all. Somy battery will spoit?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I lose maybe 2-3% overnight at most but my signal strength is solid. That would also dictate drainage

JNHohol

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I also usually see less than 5% loss overnight with both push and 3G on. Did you just update Skype recently? It seemed like that cause a 20% drop for me the night after I updated to the newest version with backgrounding.

Do you use a twitter push app? When I use Notifications to push lists or search terms, it works much harder than standard use and drains quickly.

;) By the way, the first item listed in TiPb's "iPhone 101: How to Maximize iPhone Battery Performance" is:

?Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)

spades1412

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I went to bed last night at 11pm with a full 100% charge. Left the phone unplugged overnight and woke up at 6:30am with the phone still at 100%. I usually leave it on the charger overnight but tried this just to see how much of a charge it would lose overnight. I have all my email set to fetch each hour and only use Push for ScoreCenter to get final scores of baseball games.

Rollingrock

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
By the way, the first item listed in TiPb's "iPhone 101: How to Maximize iPhone Battery Performance" is:

?Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)

From what I understand, that doesn't have anything to do with battery life. It's to keep the battery gauge accurate to the actual level of charge. In other words, your gauge may say 90% charge, when in reality it's 80%. A full drain monthly brings the gauge back in line.

MrFadedGlory#IM

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I did this test last night and my phone was at 100% at 10pm, took it off the charger overnight and at 7am this morning it was only down to 99%. Im very happy with that

testaccount

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
For me what I have noticed is I take my iPhone off the charger as soon as it is done charging after light usage the battery will fall to 99% few minutes later then 98%. iPhone doesn't last in the 90's too long in the 80's it does a bit more and then a bit more for the 70's I think this is because of the A4. Also when I leave my iPhone to charge over night I can see that my battery life is greater vs taking it off when as soon as it is fully charged.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If I take mine off the charger at 100% at night, it will be at 100% when I wake up. It stays at 100% longer than any other digit. I went to bed last night at 55% and woke up to 54%.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods