Called Apple about my Proximity sensor.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Took my girlfriends phone in tonight as her proximity sensor is way flawed. The sensor is VERY slow to respond and even when it does sometimes it flicks the screen off for a second then back on, without needing to really move whatever is blocking the sensor.

The "genius" look looked at it, and after seeing it in action said "woah. That's not right at all. Lets get that swapped out". Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock to swap out with, so she has to wait a few days. She's lasted this long with the issues, 3 days or so and hopefully she'll have a flawless device.

zeteo#IM

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have had fluctuating problems with this. I will give it a couple of weeks, then return it to Best Buy for a free replacement.

Taco50

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I also have trouble with it. When I went to the Apple Genius bar, they pretty much told me I was hold it wrong as well and when holding it to my shoulder, its the way "the phone is tilted". haha what?

I have heard they are working on software issues for it. I'm just hoping it comes out before my 30 days is up so I can exchange it if the software fix doesn't work.

It's funny because I seem to only have the proximity issue when I hold the phone with my shoulder. The rest of the time it works fine. I'm debating whether to replace it or wait to see if the software update fixes it.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Are these replacements coming from the OEM box or is it one of the "new" phones in the white boxes

They will replace first with an OEM if they have one, otherwise a new in box device, if they have any not already set aside for a pre-order. My local store didn't have any left of either type and so we have to wait a few days.

gottspd

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
i called apple and told them of my issues with the proximity sensor and BT and they sent me a new phone. Can't say whether either issue has been resolved at this point, but i was happy that they were willing to work with me.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I don't know. I didn't feel right about it. I took it back today. Exchanged it for a 16GB. Damn Morals. It was a mistake I'm sure.

If this was Howardforums, there would be 100+ replies to your original post congratulating you on the deal, and asking you how you pulled it off so they could do the same and screw Apple out of a phone...seriously.:rolleyes:

There is never a wrong time to do the right thing. You can quote me.

You did the right thing...seriously.

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It's funny because I seem to only have the proximity issue when I hold the phone with my shoulder. The rest of the time it works fine. I'm debating whether to replace it or wait to see if the software update fixes it.

Yeah, when its tilted its on my shoulder. I'm just hoping the software fix comes out before my 30 days is up.

And that is the only issue I have with my iPhone. I just can't do things with 2 hands while I'm talking on the phone!! :p

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If this was Howardforums, there would be 100+ replies to your original post congratulating you on the deal, and asking you how you pulled it off so they could do the same and screw Apple out of a phone...seriously.:rolleyes:

There is never a wrong time to do the right thing. You can quote me.

You did the right thing...seriously.

Thanks. I just don't think it's right, how ever big a company can be, to technically, steal a product. As a teacher, I would be a hypocrite if I didn't return the product.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
damn i hope i can replace mine when i get back in august-ish. my proximity sensor seemed fine till i left and was talking to my wife and i hung up on her or put her on hold numerous times in one day.

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
damn i hope i can replace mine when i get back in august-ish. my proximity sensor seemed fine till i left and was talking to my wife and i hung up on her or put her on hold numerous times in one day.

:D they dont notice most of the time when they're talking anyway lol!

subie09lega

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
:D they dont notice most of the time when they're talking anyway lol!

Mine seems to be getting worse with age. At first I just noticed the backlight flicking on during a call. Later the buttons were being activated. I have muted, dialed, opened the apps (don't know my cheek has such dexterity). Very annoying. Now I have a Bluetooth issue - when I try to turn BT on to connect to a headset, the paired device list isn't display, it just spins and spins. I can't turn it off unless I reboot.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I think my beard helps alleviate the proximity sensor issue. I still have the issue, just not as much. Then again, I just hit the home button after I connect a call.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro