I just got my iPhone 3GS replaced with a new device. The genius told me it was a firmware error and that I should not restore the new phone from a backup or I will have the same problem. So he told me to set it up as a new device and then sync it and I will get all of my info back. Well the problem is once I set it up as a new device and sync it nothing comes back except the apps. So is there a way to get my data back without restoring? Or should I just do a restore from back up?
    Thanks
    07-19-2010 09:43 PM
    Doing a restore doesn't bring over the firmware. Not sure why he told you that restoring would give you the same problem if it was a firmware problem. Try restoring from backup, there's a possibility it's still there. (It seems to be hit or miss with iTunes.)
    07-19-2010 11:12 PM
    At first I thought that a restore doesn't change the firmware but aren't jailbroken phones easily restored to their original configuration by doing a restore from a backup? Doesn't that change the firmware? I take it that without doing a restore there's no other way to get the data back.
    07-20-2010 01:18 AM
    is your phone the only place you have your contacts? on a mac, the program that can sync your contacts is called address book. a lot of other people use outlook too. I also have my contacts synced to the cloud on mobile me. there are also many other third party contact applications out there.

when you set it up as a new device you'll have to tell itunes to sync your contact info along with music and photos and calenders. make sure you have everything you want synced checkmarked.
    07-20-2010 01:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD