my take on the back being glass... it's a forecaster for a rear digitizer... ie. rear touch screen in addition to the front one... will allow for more complex 'gestures' in the future... there was a story on this a while back, dunno if it was a patent from microsoft or whatnot... but basically had to do with using the back of the screen/bottom of the device, to provide additional touch inputs... would be sweet if it came to that... multi-touch taken to the next level... think about it... touching from underneath, for times where maybe you don't want to obstruct the screen, but need to do a touch input, a drag, pinch/spread... etc...
    07-26-2010 02:58 PM
    Here's a simple idea... manufacturing costs. The front and back aren't completely identical, the holes are in different places, but the outside shape is identical, and made from the same material, so maybe they get bulk discounts instead of buying multiple materials.

Aluminum was okay, and I prefer it, but perhaps it still interfered with the antenna? Black and which phones proved popular, in that people liked the color choice, so being able to provide black and white behind a durable glass makes it cheaper and easier to provide the different colors? A white iPhone with bumper is pretty stylish and it's the same glass.

Then again they are having problems making the white one.
    07-26-2010 03:51 PM
    I removed the cover just to see inside. I noticed a little metal clip that touches the back cover snapped open when I removed the cover. I am wondering if that's some kind of alert system telling the software that the phone has been opened, therefore voiding warranty.

However I can't find the piece in the ifixit teardown. I want to look again, but am wary now.
    Is this it (from step 5): You can also see pressure contact on the inner face of the rear panel for what appears to be an antenna.
    07-26-2010 05:24 PM
    Glass on Front and back with no protective ridge just means you have twice as much of a chance to shatter it. Cha ching... $199. So you get a case and the fact that the back is black is irrelevant.

The glass shatters from a 2 foot drop onto a hard surfuce.
    07-26-2010 05:50 PM
    Absolutely love the glass back.
    07-26-2010 06:27 PM
    it looks sweet!!!! much rather have solid glass than cheep plastic!
    07-26-2010 07:37 PM
    thats just stupid... more hassle then anything, I'm totally turned off by glass front and glass back... an aluminum unibody case like the mac book pro woulda been 10000x better... IMO.
    07-26-2010 09:31 PM
    this phone is a prototype of the Iphone 5, glass back was used to test durability from mass users in everyday life.. something "apple" cannot do them selfs. Iphone 5 will have the glass back supporting the duel layer solar panels used for charging and and boosting signal amps! also : they will be installing inductive charging and file sync that will be placed behind the glass!
    07-26-2010 11:05 PM
    Dropped my iPhone4 from about 40cm height onto asphalt and the glass edges (close the the metal frame) chipped off. Sure glass looks nice, but it's not very durable.

Sure hope Apple will sell glass back covers as replacement parts as they are very easy to replace.
    07-27-2010 06:36 AM
    I believe from what i saw in complete breakdown of the phone, that if you remove the two screws at the bottom beside the mic and speaker the back glass comes right off and the battery is easily accessible as well for anyone who has a gripe about an unremovable battery lol
    07-27-2010 11:25 AM
    I love the iPhone 4. It's built like a fine watch. Very solid. Only drawback is that it feels like it wants to slide out of your hand. IMHO, it needs a case. I'm getting a PixelSkin HD for it...looks like a perfect fit.
    07-28-2010 03:31 PM
    I'm guessing the glass is to absorb the heat from the phone. Just a guess though. I do like it either way.
    08-05-2010 11:00 AM
    If the antennas on the outside why make the back out of breakable glass? If it had an internal antenna the i could see the point but its not.
    Because its sexy
    08-05-2010 01:17 PM
    I feel like my 3GS fit "better" in my hand. Probably because when I hold a phone my hand isn't flat, it's curved. It does look better, but I agree, an aluminum or one like the original iPhone woulda made me happier.
    08-06-2010 09:46 AM
    I like the idea of an aluminum unibody cellphone, that would be totally sexy! I do, however, also like this current design. As for why the front and back is glass, I think the answer is more than like because that is how Steve wanted it to be.....
    08-06-2010 10:49 AM
    I feel like ip4 is a better fit in my hand. For some reason i feel like i have a better grip on it.

I feel like my 3GS fit "better" in my hand. Probably because when I hold a phone my hand isn't flat, it's curved. It does look better, but I agree, an aluminum or one like the original iPhone woulda made me happier.
    08-06-2010 10:57 AM
    Looks great with the front and back both being made out of glass.
    08-06-2010 11:12 AM
    I feel like ip4 is a better fit in my hand. For some reason i feel like i have a better grip on it.
    I agree that the trimmed bezel allows to fit better in my hand as well. I just think a little bit of curve would sit better.. I'm being picky though.
    08-06-2010 01:14 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD