Update or not to update?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Ok...just got back from a 7-hour round trip to my "local" Apple store in St. Louis, doing a super-easy exchange of my first iP4 that had a jacked up proximity sensor.

So far, this phone is doing great, but I was a bit surprised that it was running the 4.0 sw version, and not the new 4.1...and it's a week-27 built unit.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to sync with iTunes account on my work PC...and I'm wondering if I should update to 4.1 since 4.0 is humming along so well so far. What would I gain by updating...really?

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The update is iOS4.01, not 4.1 that is yet to come!

Yes, I would update it, I see no reason not to. I am surprised they swapped it for the proximity issue, because Steve Jobs during the iPhone 4 Conference said there would be another software update likely iOS4.02 that would address the issue. So, don't be surprised if your new phone has the issue too. Many swapped out only to find out the new one has it too.

Last edited:

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I still have not updated yet as I have been busy. but I plan to. I also wanted to see if there were any problems with the update and so far it seems that it is ok.

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed a change in the way the phone operates with the update. The only thing I've noticed is that my bars are a lot lower than they used to be .. where I would normally get 4-5 bars, I now get 2, etc. Doesn't seem to affect the call quality or anything but for me it's just comforting to see more bars. I also think the update made the bars look more curvy-ish .. I don't like it. I liked the square'ness of the old bars. Lame. Here's what I mean about the curvy looking bars on the incline ...

432fdcd2.jpg

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I'll probably do it when I sync later this morning...if for nothing else, to be current. Can't wait to get my apps back!

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
It's always a good idea to get the latest software update of whatever. Often, small bugs/tweaks are included which may not be visibly obvious.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
If you're waiting for a jailbreak, don't update til you know you can is the rule. Otherwise, this update doesn't do much for you.

drpainmd

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
i have updated to 4.01 and now my browser is really slow!!!I mean i do use edge (no 3g where i am....yet:) but the same places i used it before with good results, it is now very,very slow!!!