Leaving Wi-Fi toggled on

frozinwater

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if this drains battery life? Even if I take off the option to search for wi-fi? Just curious. Because it would be convenient if I could just leave it on, and have it connect whenever I'm in an area of previously established connection. Thanks in advance.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I always turn it off because I'm afraid of wasting battery. It probably doesn't use that much, but I'd rather just turn it on when I get somewhere with WIFI and get every last bit of battery out of the phone.

charliej66

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
I have wi-fi at home and work, so I've left it on all the time the past several months. Haven't noticed any difference in battery life at all. And I've been thinking about dropping to the $15.00 data plan since I'm not using as much 3G.

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
Yes, since its always checking for signal it drastically reduces battery life. If you are not using it, make sure to turn it off!

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I leave it on all day and get about 16-21 hours of battery (dependent on usage of course) on my iPhone 4 as compared to about 8 hours with my 3GS.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
You absolutely want to turn this off if you are really wanting to conserve battery life. It is always looking for a connection. So turn it off and use it only when you need too. If I travel in areas where I don't know where they have Wifi I use it. Once I get use to where I am, it gets turned off. Why would you need it on if you travel or go to the same places every day. Makes no sense! I have all the wifi sites saved now and the phone switches automatically.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I leave wifi on all the time and am able to make it through the day every day. Frozinwater is correct on the convenience, it just automatically connects whenever I am in the vicinity of a previously used wifi. It does use some battery but I have more than enough to make it through the day.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The auto connect has nothing to do with having it search for wifi all the time. Once you login one time it saves the info and will always connect regardless if you have the ask to join networks on or not. The ask to join networks comes into play when there are unsaved wifi connections available. I can see it popping up as I drive around sometimes. Very annoying and unnecessary unless you need a wifi connection.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Wasn't the OP simply leaving the wifi on? If y'all reread the post you'll find that to be the case. He/she even mentions leaving the "ask to join networks" off. Just sayin.

okgrjba#IM

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
First post here, I searched, but to no avail. Is there an app out there that automatically turns it off? I had WiFi hero on my BlackBerry 9000 and 9700, it automatically toggles it off. I just made the change to iphone.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I leave my wifi on all day, and I am a heavy user of all aspects of the phone. I get about 24hrs of battery w/ 9hrs of usag on the iP4.....thats good, mind you I have location services on all day as well, and pushing 3 emails accounts...keep the wifi toggle on :D

spades1412

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I leave it on all the time and my battery life has been amazing.

0f03d2ab.jpg

e1miran

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I also leave it on all day, and get great battery life on my iPhone 4. However, I am almost always somewhere where I've had a previous wifi connection (work or home). So, I think in my case it would probably last longer than if I were on 3G all day long.

MrCippy

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I leave mine on all the time, I get around 30hrs of battery from it.. this last charge was actually 36 hours.. 9 of usage.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711