3gs loss of towers since401

dweasel36

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
i did the update and now i have terrible reception pretty much asll over. i used to have full bars at home,now all i get is edge. i never even saw the edge symbol till this update. im on a 3gs..anyone else?

pkang

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Well the update should not affect the actual reception of your phone but the manner in which it is reported through the signal bars on the phone...so chances are, in 4.0 it reported a 3g signal but was really only edge, but now with 4.1 its more realistic as to the data coverage you are in...

chances are you have always been in edge coverage but now your phone is telling you the truth instead of masking the edge signal behind a 3g badge on your screen.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the previous algorithm "lied" about being on 3G when the user was really on edge. If the device is connecting on Edge it will report that. Likely your carrier has run into some issues in your area. Do you have any friends of family members on the same carrier in the area where you can see if their phones say the same?

DataCentre

Jan 26, 2010
www.datacentredesigns.ca
I've had similar issues. I haven't dropped to EDGE, but since updating to 4.0.1, normally I would have been at full signal strength, now my bars drop to about 1/2 of what they normally are. This update is horrible!

dweasel36

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
no, my speed test has suffered at home. i am actually on edge now where before i was on 3g. i can totally tell the difference. can i go back to 4.0? like i said,i never saw the edge signal before this update.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I've had similar issues. I haven't dropped to EDGE, but since updating to 4.0.1, normally I would have been at full signal strength, now my bars drop to about 1/2 of what they normally are. This update is horrible!

The update has not affected the coverage that you are getting. You always had that kind of coverage it's just that the way the iPhone was showing it was not accurate before the update.

dweasel36

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The update has not affected the coverage that you are getting. You always had that kind of coverage it's just that the way the iPhone was showing it was not accurate before the update.

i beg to differ,i am sitting in the exact same spot i always do at home..takes probly a minute longer to download a utube video that before the update. i never saw edge before, its horribly slow.

CPMS

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
i beg to differ,i am sitting in the exact same spot i always do at home..takes probly a minute longer to download a utube video that before the update. i never saw edge before, its horribly slow.

Maybe try to restore back to 4.0? I'm not sure how one goes about doing that, do a search on this forum and it shouldn't be hard to find. As big9erfan said, you should also see if others in your area/carrier are having issues. A restore to 4.0 would be the best test though. If your speeds do increase please post since that would be inconsistent with what the 4.0.1 update was "supposed to" do (i.e. no change in actual reception, just the way it's reported).