Apple Had No Obligation To "Fix" This *Non*-Issue

Chris_c81

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Right handed here and I've never dropped a call yet. Honestly, I may be way off the mark here, but I firmly believe a lot of it is down to AT&T's shoddy network. Why? Because majority of the complaints seem to come out of the USA. Our British networks seem to be much more organised with a wider coverage of the whole country resulting in a much greater signal strength off the bat. Whereas you guys in the USA are consistently complaining about how poor the signal reception is on AT&T.

AT&T need to take some of the responsibility, IMHO.

Scuba629

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Maybe some are complaining.. But I think others just want what other phones have. Like I said a couple of posts back.. My Bold 9700 didn't have any of the issues I have with my iPhone in terms of reception. In some areas I have to pray I have a wifi connection as the 3G coverage is so bad... However in those same places my gf can use my old Bold 9700 and be fine.

Now im not going to take my iPhone back.. I do like it a lot! I guess its give and take... I get more more apps and things on my iPhone but worse reception. Just sucks as it would be the perfect phone in my opinion if it had at least the same reception as my old Bold.

CPMS

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
no. never. I deal with the drop calls. I had a stupid crackberry, traded it for an LG Vu, that's how much i disliked the bb's.

OK Chuck, sorry about the somewhat terse "just return it" reply to your original post. You obviously like the phone if you drop that many calls and still haven't sent it back yet. I'll rephrase ... " return the phone and get a replacement, no guarantees but hope that will help :eek: "

Scuba629

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I think thats what I am going to do.. take it in for a genious app and see what they say.. I love the phone but sometimes get dropped calls or no data.

theogt

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
No other phone has this issue. This is specific to the iPhone 4. It's not about signal attenuation, which is an issue on all phones. It's about detuning the antenna when you bridge the two separate antennas. No other phone has this issue.

Jobs admitted in the Q&A session that future antenna designs would, at a minimum, move the area where the two antennas join to a different place on the phone. They understand the issue, they understand that they screwed up, and they will never produce another iteration of the iPhone with this issue again.

It's just unfortunate that they're not being more forthcoming about it and are trying to diffuse (and confuse) the issue by claiming that other phones share the issue.

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
OK Chuck, sorry about the somewhat terse "just return it" reply to your original post. You obviously like the phone if you drop that many calls and still haven't sent it back yet. I'll rephrase ... " return the phone and get a replacement, no guarantees but hope that will help :eek: "

Oh, I know. I don't expect it to help. I will probably get the free bumper. Hopefully, that'll help.

I was mainly just stating it's just not left handers that are dropping a lot of calls.

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
In the ways that I mentioned, this antenna really is a cut above the rest, it only shorts when one tiny, avoidable slit is covered.

You have to admit it was a big miss for apple though. If all they have to do is isolate a "one tiny, avoidable slit" to have the perfect antenna, why didnt they do it from the start? If what you say is true, a simple design mod could have isolated the antenna in that area. Instead, millions of people have to worry about how they hold the phone.

Also, am I the only right handed person that holds the phone in my left hand when I'm typing/browsing or not using it for voice?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Also, am I the only right handed person that holds the phone in my left hand when I'm typing/browsing or not using it for voice?

No, you certainly are not. It comes from my past having used devices that required a stylus. I hold the device in my left hand and manipulate it with my right index finger.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
im right handed and hold the phone in my right hand 99% of the time. i type with my right thumb or turn to landscape if im typing a lot.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
OKCChuck, the iPhone has always dropped calls due to the fact that AT&T's network is crap most of the time.

In strong network areas, you can't cause the antenna to lose signal if you try.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
OKCChuck, the iPhone has always dropped calls due to the fact that AT&T's network is crap most of the time.

In strong network areas, you can't cause the antenna to lose signal if you try.

thats true. i walked around an entire mall in santa rosa ca where theres an apple store and i could not get my iP4 to drop a single solitary bar at all.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 4 signal

This issue regarding the signal being blocked hasn't effected me. I have held it in the way which is supposed to drop the signal several times and only notice the signal drop once.
yup, I also think about that why would Apple need to issue a recall or Fix? The iPhone 4′s problem is not health related which would be needed to initiate a recall. The iPhone 4′s problem is only effecting a relatively small amount of people, its just the bloggers and media make it seem such worse than it really is.
And its hard to base facts of a poll as iPhone haters or non-iPhone Users would be inclined to check the ?having problems? box because the want to lure people away from the iPhone. It?s better not to use the results of a poll to prove a significant point.
And now JOBs said they will give iPhone 4 customers a complimentary rubber bumper, and I believe they are single-hearted. hmm, whether rubber bumper or iFunia iPhone 4 Converter, can solve problem for you is great.

omgabunny

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I live in a sting 3G coverage area with AT&T. No matter if I'm left or right handed I find at times the most comfortable way for me personally to hold my iPhone has been in the deathgrip area. If placed there I've seen drops in signal bars and at times I'll go from 3g to edge. Even tho I've purchased a case for mine, this is not a "non issue" for me. I can deal with it but I'm not going to pretend there isn't an issue present.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I live in a sting 3G coverage area with AT&T. No matter if I'm left or right handed I find at times the most comfortable way for me personally to hold my iPhone has been in the deathgrip area. If placed there I've seen drops in signal bars and at times I'll go from 3g to edge. Even tho I've purchased a case for mine, this is not a "non issue" for me. I can deal with it but I'm not going to pretend there isn't an issue present.

1. Move.
2. If you can't move, just chop a few fingers off.

No big deal.

haha..

But seriously, humans have a very very powerful muscle memory (assuming there are no motor-skill related disabilities present). It sucks that this is an issue for you now and there's a learning curve, but you will learn to avoid the deadspot.

The reason why I call this a non-issue, is simply that it IS in fact present in many other devices (and much worse, in many situations). People are acting as if the iPhone 4 is the first phone to ever suffer from this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR