IGoSlo

It's a matter or perspective. You say the iPhone has a defect, yet it had been proven, not just by Apple but thousands of YouTube users that it's an inherent problem amongst a wide variety of handsets by all manufacturers.

Your example is flawed in that the coffee machine is obviously faulty, something is broken, it requires a fix to be usable as advertised. You couldn't for example, operate it differenty and suddenly all four functions become available to you. It's busted, no matter how you touch it.

There is nothing broken on the iPhone 4, it still works. It's more accurate to say it's a design oversight.

In the same way you have the option of returning your coffee machine because it doesn't work or you don't like it, you have the same option with your iPhone 4.
    07-19-2010 10:32 AM
    IMO, this whole argument is moot because at the end of the day, Apple themselves felt they had an obligation to do something about it.
    07-19-2010 10:45 AM
    Apple faces such criticism simply because they claim to be a step ahead and above everyone else. This antenna was a marvel of engineering and the way Jobs went on about it at the initial i4 announcement, it was second to none. Now they say "we've got the same problems everyone else has. Sorry".

Apple puts themselves out like they are a step ahead of everyone and if that's the expectation they put out there then they should be held to that.

Did they HAVE to give out free bumpers? No. Not at all, but it would have severely impacted their public image, and not in a positive fashion.
    The design is indeed above everyone else. BUT! They have yet to defy the laws of physics, and even with their 12 PhD's they have on board, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.
    07-19-2010 11:04 AM
    OKCChuck, the iPhone has always dropped calls due to the fact that AT&T's network is crap most of the time.

In strong network areas, you can't cause the antenna to lose signal if you try.
    I never really had a problem before the i4 though.

Only thing I really enjoy about it is when my GF starts babbling on the phone about some BS I don't care about, and it hangs up, I don't call her back, blame it on the signal and she knows it's true and has to go with the excuse.
    07-19-2010 11:10 AM
    Wow!! Buddhistgirafe you really did drink the Kool-Aid!! I mean Steve Jobs has you quoting him word for word now!! You must be an Apple Fanboy or as I like to call them: Zombies! Again, pointing out the laws of physics or the fact that other phones also experience antenna issues does not negate the fact that the iPhone 4 is flawed and does not excuse Apple for it's faulty design or how it handled or rather mis-handled the situation. It is of course your right as a human being to buy any phone you like...I just prefer my phones to actually make and not drop calls! I am a huge fan of Apple and love my 3GS but I can't excuse Apple for placing the antenna in a bad spot or for proving that they think very little of their customers! Wow, a free case to cover up their flaw! The fact is, you should not need a case to use a cellphone!! If Steve Jobs tells you to jump off a bridge, would you do it? I suspect you might!!
    07-19-2010 12:01 PM
    The design works well for me. Less dropped calls, faster data and better overall reliability. It looks beautiful and I recommend this phone to all people. I know that people shouldn't have to use a case to make a phone work, but the majority of people I know with various models of the iPhone ALL use them. I can touch the problem area and and the bars do go down, but guess what? My data speeds stay intact and voice quality doesn't change.

This is a beautiful device and I recommend it to all who ask. I also recommend competing devices provided the person asking tells me what they need the device specifically for. My cousin loves Sprint and only wants their service. I don't waste time trying to get them to switch to AT&T, but just tell them what to look for in an Android device or other competing platform.

If SJ ever asked me to jump, I would say how high? As in how high would I have to be to listen to you SJ? I may love Apple products, but those who generalize us customers as sheep are ignorant. If Apple messes up, be sure to know I will make my voice heard negatively.
    07-19-2010 12:24 PM
    The design works well for me. Less dropped calls, faster data and better overall reliability. It looks beautiful and I recommend this phone to all people. I know that people shouldn't have to use a case to make a phone work, but the majority of people I know with various models of the iPhone ALL use them. I can touch the problem area and and the bars do go down, but guess what? My data speeds stay intact and voice quality doesn't change.

This is a beautiful device and I recommend it to all who ask. I also recommend competing devices provided the person asking tells me what they need the device specifically for. My cousin loves Sprint and only wants their service. I don't waste time trying to get them to switch to AT&T, but just tell them what to look for in an Android device or other competing platform.

If SJ ever asked me to jump, I would say how high? As in how high would I have to be to listen to you SJ? I may love Apple products, but those who generalize us customers as sheep are ignorant. If Apple messes up, be sure to know I will make my voice heard negatively.
    Personally I don't use a case, but the majority of consumers damn well do, so the anti-case argument is so stupid. Yes, these pants are uncomfortable when I don't wear underwear, but when I do wear underwear, they are great. Does that mean the pants are faulty because they don't come with underwear? No. Did H&M give me free underwear with my pants? Hell no.
    07-19-2010 12:30 PM
    I don't use a case nor wear underwear...lol
    07-19-2010 02:13 PM
    I don't use a case nor wear underwear...lol
    LMAO. How's the reception on your pants? XD
    07-19-2010 02:50 PM
    ^^dead. However the death grip helps.
    07-19-2010 03:01 PM
    This is beginning to sound like a political debate. What side of the fence are you on? Get back to the facts... NOT the spin...
    07-19-2010 03:13 PM
    ^^^ smart guy here yall should listen
    07-19-2010 05:36 PM
    Did they have an obligation to fix? Depends on obligation to who.

Customers? Not really - a customer was not forced to buy one, and they could return it.

Shareholders? Possibly, as the value of the company decreases with massive negative publicity and a lack of a "fix". But then you have to ask yourself how much of a day to day obligation do companies have to their shareholders?

I would argue that while there was no obligation to fix it, there should have been a strong motivation to either fix it, or offer some alternative solution (which they did, but only after it seemed like lots of pushing).

Let me put it this way - with the next iPhone release, will their numbers of pre-orders (and people waiting in line or release day) be affected? If 10% of the people who normally WOULD have waited in line or pre-ordered decide to wait and see how well the new phone works, that could affect their quarterly reports, not to mention opportunities for rival companies to entire them away with another phone. An undecided customer is a potentially lost customer.

Chris
    Last edited by cjvitek; 07-19-2010 at 09:15 PM.
    07-19-2010 09:13 PM
    Only because of the media attention, not at all because of the actual issue.

The Samsung captivate suffers from the same attenuation issues on the right-hand side, and reviewers have said it is even worse than the iPhone 4. Do you think Samsung will be giving out free cases to their customers? Do you think Samsung will even care to acknowledge the issue after they just sent out a press release denying that they've EVER had this issue, just like RIM and Nokia?

I think these companies are being much more ridiculous than Apple with their responses.
    07-19-2010 10:00 PM
    New blackberry 9800 has same issues. Video has been taken down by rim otherwise I would link.
    07-19-2010 11:31 PM
    I just realized something listening to the podcast would you qualify the first gen iPhone as having worst reception, the same or better than iPhone 4? since it was all metal. The reason? because my GF who is not a hardcore user but wanted to use the apps has been using mine since I got my 3G and she has had zero dropped calls. I also have been using it since 2007, a year before Canada had the iPhone and again zero dropped calls. So if you said it was worste that makes me more excited to get my iPhone 4 and use it bumperless.
    07-20-2010 07:32 AM
    who actually puts their entire palm on their iphone anyway? first of all its totally uncomfortable holding it in your palm and second you have to stick your entire hand over the corner. retarded...
    07-20-2010 09:44 PM
    Appleboy, it's more comfortable for some to palm it. Is it hard to adjust? No. However, most people do what's comfortable than what's practical.
    07-21-2010 05:54 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD