no. never. I deal with the drop calls. I had a stupid crackberry, traded it for an LG Vu, that's how much i disliked the bb's.
    I didn't hate my BB as much as you but I don't think I will go back either.
    07-18-2010 02:30 PM
    no. never. I deal with the drop calls. I had a stupid crackberry, traded it for an LG Vu, that's how much i disliked the bb's.
    OK Chuck, sorry about the somewhat terse "just return it" reply to your original post. You obviously like the phone if you drop that many calls and still haven't sent it back yet. I'll rephrase ... " return the phone and get a replacement, no guarantees but hope that will help :o "
    07-18-2010 02:40 PM
    I think thats what I am going to do.. take it in for a genious app and see what they say.. I love the phone but sometimes get dropped calls or no data.
    07-18-2010 02:42 PM
    No other phone has this issue. This is specific to the iPhone 4. It's not about signal attenuation, which is an issue on all phones. It's about detuning the antenna when you bridge the two separate antennas. No other phone has this issue.

Jobs admitted in the Q&A session that future antenna designs would, at a minimum, move the area where the two antennas join to a different place on the phone. They understand the issue, they understand that they screwed up, and they will never produce another iteration of the iPhone with this issue again.

It's just unfortunate that they're not being more forthcoming about it and are trying to diffuse (and confuse) the issue by claiming that other phones share the issue.
    07-18-2010 02:48 PM
    OK Chuck, sorry about the somewhat terse "just return it" reply to your original post. You obviously like the phone if you drop that many calls and still haven't sent it back yet. I'll rephrase ... " return the phone and get a replacement, no guarantees but hope that will help :o "
    Oh, I know. I don't expect it to help. I will probably get the free bumper. Hopefully, that'll help.

I was mainly just stating it's just not left handers that are dropping a lot of calls.
    07-18-2010 02:52 PM
    In the ways that I mentioned, this antenna really is a cut above the rest, it only shorts when one tiny, avoidable slit is covered.
    You have to admit it was a big miss for apple though. If all they have to do is isolate a "one tiny, avoidable slit" to have the perfect antenna, why didnt they do it from the start? If what you say is true, a simple design mod could have isolated the antenna in that area. Instead, millions of people have to worry about how they hold the phone.

Also, am I the only right handed person that holds the phone in my left hand when I'm typing/browsing or not using it for voice?
    07-18-2010 03:11 PM
    Also, am I the only right handed person that holds the phone in my left hand when I'm typing/browsing or not using it for voice?
    No, you certainly are not. It comes from my past having used devices that required a stylus. I hold the device in my left hand and manipulate it with my right index finger.
    07-18-2010 03:28 PM
    im right handed and hold the phone in my right hand 99% of the time. i type with my right thumb or turn to landscape if im typing a lot.
    07-18-2010 04:42 PM
    OKCChuck, the iPhone has always dropped calls due to the fact that AT&T's network is crap most of the time.

In strong network areas, you can't cause the antenna to lose signal if you try.
    07-18-2010 08:32 PM
    OKCChuck, the iPhone has always dropped calls due to the fact that AT&T's network is crap most of the time.

In strong network areas, you can't cause the antenna to lose signal if you try.
    thats true. i walked around an entire mall in santa rosa ca where theres an apple store and i could not get my iP4 to drop a single solitary bar at all.
    07-18-2010 08:37 PM
    exactly 98% of people cry that it drops out when they death grip it with the intent to kill the signal. heres an idea...dont do that!
    Reminds me of the Bob Newhart "Stop it!" skit:

07-18-2010 09:06 PM
    This issue regarding the signal being blocked hasn't effected me. I have held it in the way which is supposed to drop the signal several times and only notice the signal drop once.
    yup, I also think about that why would Apple need to issue a recall or Fix? The iPhone 4′s problem is not health related which would be needed to initiate a recall. The iPhone 4′s problem is only effecting a relatively small amount of people, its just the bloggers and media make it seem such worse than it really is.
    And its hard to base facts of a poll as iPhone haters or non-iPhone Users would be inclined to check the having problems box because the want to lure people away from the iPhone. Its better not to use the results of a poll to prove a significant point.
    And now JOBs said they will give iPhone 4 customers a complimentary rubber bumper, and I believe they are single-hearted. hmm, whether rubber bumper or iFunia iPhone 4 Converter, can solve problem for you is great.
    07-18-2010 09:37 PM
    I'm left handed and I still do not have this supposed "death grip" issue with my iPhone 4.
    07-18-2010 10:26 PM
    I live in a sting 3G coverage area with AT&T. No matter if I'm left or right handed I find at times the most comfortable way for me personally to hold my iPhone has been in the deathgrip area. If placed there I've seen drops in signal bars and at times I'll go from 3g to edge. Even tho I've purchased a case for mine, this is not a "non issue" for me. I can deal with it but I'm not going to pretend there isn't an issue present.
    07-18-2010 11:07 PM
    I live in a sting 3G coverage area with AT&T. No matter if I'm left or right handed I find at times the most comfortable way for me personally to hold my iPhone has been in the deathgrip area. If placed there I've seen drops in signal bars and at times I'll go from 3g to edge. Even tho I've purchased a case for mine, this is not a "non issue" for me. I can deal with it but I'm not going to pretend there isn't an issue present.
    1. Move.
    2. If you can't move, just chop a few fingers off.

No big deal.

haha..

But seriously, humans have a very very powerful muscle memory (assuming there are no motor-skill related disabilities present). It sucks that this is an issue for you now and there's a learning curve, but you will learn to avoid the deadspot.

The reason why I call this a non-issue, is simply that it IS in fact present in many other devices (and much worse, in many situations). People are acting as if the iPhone 4 is the first phone to ever suffer from this.
    07-18-2010 11:23 PM
    Kudos to you, but speaking for myself if it were that bad for me I'd would probably have a different device.
    07-18-2010 11:28 PM
    You have to admit it was a big miss for apple though. If all they have to do is isolate a "one tiny, avoidable slit" to have the perfect antenna, why didnt they do it from the start? If what you say is true, a simple design mod could have isolated the antenna in that area. Instead, millions of people have to worry about how they hold the phone.

No, you certainly are not. It comes from my past having used devices that required a stylus. I hold the device in my left hand and manipulate it with my right index finger.
    Good. I'm not the only right handed person who holds the phone in my left hand. I was starting to think I was an ambidextrous iMutant.
    07-18-2010 11:37 PM
    I am so glad someone made this point.
    07-18-2010 11:39 PM
    I must be one of the few people that hold their phone in their left hand while browsing the web or what not and I have no clue what a "Death-Grip" entails but when I put this phone in my left palm (lightly holding it) the signal dies almost immediately.

Jello, I have to tell you that your attitude towards those of us experiencing this highly arrogant and speaks a great deal about you as a person.
    07-18-2010 11:48 PM
    I must be one of the few people that hold their phone in their left hand while browsing the web or what not and I have no clue what a "Death-Grip" entails but when I put this phone in my left palm (lightly holding it) the signal dies almost immediately.

Jello, I have to tell you that your attitude towards those of us experiencing this highly arrogant and speaks a great deal about you as a person.
    I was clearly joking. No need to get personal with me over a misunderstanding of language...
    07-19-2010 12:56 AM
    Hey Jello, all I have to say to you is watch the cartoon iPhone Vs. HTC EVO on youtube!! You are the clearly slow person that wants the iPhone 4 with 3G and the WiFis!! Also, there are many things that are impossible to deny like the fact that the Earth is round and the fact that gravity exists!! I would also include the fact that Apple released a phone with a design flaw! They may have offered a band aid but they did not offer a real fix and clearly admitted that their phone has issues. Saying that other phones have issues does nothing to negate the fact that the iPhone 4 has an antenna issue!!
    07-19-2010 03:00 AM
    The advanced tech can bear any criticism I think.
    07-19-2010 03:49 AM

Its like with cars, they stopped putting gas tanks in the way back cause of the pinto right? Im thinking the best spot for the gap is on the right side right above the screen. Go ahead hold your phone like your on a call, your finger a 1/2 inch away

You are good you. I came from a treo my left is for holding my right in for using, it just seems like the way to use it.

P.S. Stop being jerks about this, stop telling the "few" of us with the problems to just return it and shut up and get a droid. Some of the people just want to cry a little about it, let em. Who is really gonna give up the best ipod touch with a par phone on it for a crappy device...no one. The people on here need to chill. Sorry so long but my .02
    07-19-2010 04:31 AM
    Apple fell on hard times in the PR Dept. on this issue when they tried to cover it up. If Jobs or his spokesperson would have recognized and stated they were on it. The "Heat" would have been cooler.

Actually, I believe they DO have a responsibility to EFFECTIVELY correct the problem. Apple released the iPhone 4 with NO Disclaimers concerning the Antenna issue. The iphone 4 was Released with this "DEFECT". One Honestly doesn't thing Apple knew? If I sold you a Coffee maker that was programable with four settings and only 2 worked, the consumer would demand a recall along with a refund. BUT, because it's "Apple" and over 1.1 Million units were sold? Draw your own conclusions...
    Last edited by IGoSlo; 07-19-2010 at 07:41 AM.
    07-19-2010 07:34 AM
    IGoSlo, so how bad is the "antenna problem" on your iPhone 4?
    07-19-2010 09:15 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD