How much data are you using per month?

jumpman2033

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
My AT&T iPad thingee doesn't tell me how much data I have used this month because I am on the unlimited plan. Strangely, I have recently discovered a resettable usage counter that no one told me about and apparently AT&T knew nothing of. I don't want to reset it, so I am going to just track my average usage, over the long haul.

I average about 6GB of data (down) per month. Like an earlier user said, I would be seriously screwed if I were on a limited plan.

Amazing.

See. This is my concern. I would really like to get an iPad for my wife and I. For the most part it would be used over wifi, but about 4 - 5 times a month my wife would take it to work and browse the internet and stream about a movie a night, maybe a show or 2 also. I really don't want to get hammered in overages with a limited plan. Anyone have any idea if i would go over the limit and what the repercussions would be?

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
See. This is my concern. I would really like to get an iPad for my wife and I. For the most part it would be used over wifi, but about 4 - 5 times a month my wife would take it to work and browse the internet and stream about a movie a night, maybe a show or 2 also. I really don't want to get hammered in overages with a limited plan. Anyone have any idea if i would go over the limit and what the repercussions would be?

I've heard different answers to this:

1) AT&T would charge $10 per each additional GB increment.

2) You ask AT&T for another $25 (or $15) plan that starts over at the time of the request.

In either case, my ~6.3GB would cost me at least $65 - 80 using the best, currently-available plan.

YOU would have access to a meter, though, which would tell you how much data you'd consumed. So you needn't be taken completely off-guard.

jumpman2033

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've heard different answers to this:

1) AT&T would charge $10 per each additional GB increment.

2) You ask AT&T for another $25 (or $15) plan that starts over at the time of the request.

In either case, my ~6.3GB would cost me at least $65 - 80 using the best, currently-available plan.

YOU would have access to a meter, though, which would tell you how much data you'd consumed. So you needn't be taken completely off-guard.

Thanks for the help. Now i'm just curious on my approx. usage per month. Guess i'm going to have to do some research.

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
My data usage is over 2gb every month. I stream Tunein Radio during the week, and I also stream podcasts. It surprises me to hear people say that they are almost always in a free wifi hotspot. Unless I'm at home, I'm rarely in a wifi area that's not password locked (and I don't have the password). I'm glad that I have a grandfathered unlimited plan.

Last edited:

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
YOu weren't asking ME, but downloading podcasts, streaming Netflix, streaming radio, YouTube, NPR app, and general Internet usage (email, etc) make my 6GB/mo. average pretty level.

what is your battery life like? i could never imagine this much internet use since i need my battery to last. lol

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
what is your battery life like? i could never imagine this much internet use since i need my battery to last. lol
My battery life is excellent. I think the ~10 hour estimate is accurate when I am using 3G and better when I am on wifi.

I have no complaints on that score. Its battery lasts longer than any laptop I have ever had.

Jailbreak it and use stuff like Backgrounder and your battery life will take a hit, but remain exceptional.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
My battery life is excellent. I think the ~10 hour estimate is accurate when I am using 3G and better when I am on wifi.

I have no complaints on that score. Its battery lasts longer than any laptop I have ever had.

Jailbreak it and use stuff like Backgrounder and your battery life will take a hit, but remain exceptional.

damn im impressed because i am on the road alot and often cant use a charger of any kind and rely 3g only in great coverage areas but i am using my phone for like 5 hours straight i just try to stay away from too heavy media so i dont screw my self lol but i guess i will try and push it a little harder.

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Guess I will see about the soft cap.

1d0b260a.jpg

Last edited:

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
i went into upgrade my phone to the iphone 4 and they tried to push the $25 plan down my throat i told them to look up my last month's usage and they did... it was 11256mb i politely told them that ill beholding on to my unlimited plan for a little bit longer then pay the $95 that using 11+ gigs would cost

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2