I've definitely used more than usual, I'm at 5.467 GB this month with a few days left. I don't think I've gone over 5 before (generally not over 4, and then just a few times).

Gary
    08-30-2010 06:55 PM
    I wasn't using quite as much but lately on the go so much, I find myself grabbing my iPhone more to surf the net so my usage has gone up.

I'd considered actually lowering my bill and going to one of the smaller plans but I know the minute I do, I'll be sorry so I've kept it.
    08-30-2010 07:53 PM
    I was told by the AT&T drones at the corporate store and at the apple store where I got my IP4 that I would be grandfathered in with my unlimmited data plan being an existing customer. I usually have always used 1.5g-2.5g and have hit over 2g with my new IP4, and no extra charges, so things being ok, I'll keep it up on the data waves.
    08-30-2010 09:08 PM
    I've definitely used more than usual, I'm at 5.467 GB this month with a few days left. I don't think I've gone over 5 before (generally not over 4, and then just a few times).

Gary
    What do you do daily to go over 5GB a month? That seems crazy to me...Not saying its not true, just very extreme...
    08-30-2010 09:10 PM
    Update, 8 days in.

08-30-2010 09:11 PM
    What do you do daily to go over 5GB a month? That seems crazy to me...Not saying its not true, just very extreme...
    On the Droid, that type of usage would make sense.
    08-30-2010 09:35 PM
    I could see going over 5 gig easy, pandora, slingplayer, ootunes, mywi, my3g (FaceTime) and now netflix...
    Last edited by swooshme; 08-30-2010 at 10:51 PM.
    08-30-2010 10:33 PM
    1.0 gb before the jailbreak. After I'm at 3gb cause I tether with my iPad, use 3G unrestrictor etc....
    08-30-2010 10:44 PM
    i'm a new iphone user i have the 2gb plan, and i have 2 days left in my cycle and ive used 484mb so far!
    08-30-2010 10:50 PM
    On the Droid, that type of usage would make sense.
    Funny you mention that actually.. As your right, I feel bad for captivate users. There are so many things with android that either just run in the background sucking up data or things that just like to start on their own and consume data. I could see android as being far more of a data hog even with someone that doesn't use much data just because of the background processes and such... IP4 has the advantage as the user IMO has much more control over what data is being consumed and when....
    08-30-2010 10:53 PM
    I listen to iheart radio every morning for 2.5 hours straight. And then Stream pod casts that I haven't downloaded.
    Last edited by slalomskie; 08-31-2010 at 06:39 AM.
    08-30-2010 11:29 PM
    I am lucky to hit 125MB of data and I'm on the unlimited. We also have 10,300+ rollover minutes as our house is sketchy for signal haha. One month I plan on calling some # and letting it sit on for 24+ hours haha.
    08-31-2010 12:35 AM
    im always on wifi but i fluctuate from 220mb-600mb is the most ive ver used i dnt use a lot of web based apps mostly because im always out and about and tryin to not kill the battery
    08-31-2010 03:24 AM
    i jsut got my iphone4 last night..wow you guys were not kidding, what a screen. amazing.

i have the 15 a month data plan. i surf a little, use facebook app, and i use google voice for text and calls. when i am home i always have wifi on. when wifi is on, is there no data being used my att for these programs to run?
    My AT&T iPad thingee doesn't tell me how much data I have used this month because I am on the unlimited plan. Strangely, I have recently discovered a resettable usage counter that no one told me about and apparently AT&T knew nothing of. I don't want to reset it, so I am going to just track my average usage, over the long haul.

I average about 6GB of data (down) per month. Like an earlier user said, I would be seriously screwed if I were on a limited plan.

Amazing.
    08-31-2010 06:22 AM
    YOu weren't asking ME, but downloading podcasts, streaming Netflix, streaming radio, YouTube, NPR app, and general Internet usage (email, etc) make my 6GB/mo. average pretty level.
    08-31-2010 06:58 AM
    My AT&T iPad thingee doesn't tell me how much data I have used this month because I am on the unlimited plan. Strangely, I have recently discovered a resettable usage counter that no one told me about and apparently AT&T knew nothing of. I don't want to reset it, so I am going to just track my average usage, over the long haul.

I average about 6GB of data (down) per month. Like an earlier user said, I would be seriously screwed if I were on a limited plan.

Amazing.
    See. This is my concern. I would really like to get an iPad for my wife and I. For the most part it would be used over wifi, but about 4 - 5 times a month my wife would take it to work and browse the internet and stream about a movie a night, maybe a show or 2 also. I really don't want to get hammered in overages with a limited plan. Anyone have any idea if i would go over the limit and what the repercussions would be?
    08-31-2010 07:54 AM
    See. This is my concern. I would really like to get an iPad for my wife and I. For the most part it would be used over wifi, but about 4 - 5 times a month my wife would take it to work and browse the internet and stream about a movie a night, maybe a show or 2 also. I really don't want to get hammered in overages with a limited plan. Anyone have any idea if i would go over the limit and what the repercussions would be?
    I've heard different answers to this:

1) AT&T would charge $10 per each additional GB increment.

2) You ask AT&T for another $25 (or $15) plan that starts over at the time of the request.

In either case, my ~6.3GB would cost me at least $65 - 80 using the best, currently-available plan.

YOU would have access to a meter, though, which would tell you how much data you'd consumed. So you needn't be taken completely off-guard.
    08-31-2010 08:12 AM
    I've heard different answers to this:

1) AT&T would charge $10 per each additional GB increment.

2) You ask AT&T for another $25 (or $15) plan that starts over at the time of the request.

In either case, my ~6.3GB would cost me at least $65 - 80 using the best, currently-available plan.

YOU would have access to a meter, though, which would tell you how much data you'd consumed. So you needn't be taken completely off-guard.
    Thanks for the help. Now i'm just curious on my approx. usage per month. Guess i'm going to have to do some research.
    08-31-2010 10:40 AM
    My data usage is over 2gb every month. I stream Tunein Radio during the week, and I also stream podcasts. It surprises me to hear people say that they are almost always in a free wifi hotspot. Unless I'm at home, I'm rarely in a wifi area that's not password locked (and I don't have the password). I'm glad that I have a grandfathered unlimited plan.
    Last edited by gern blanston; 08-31-2010 at 11:27 AM.
    08-31-2010 11:15 AM
    YOu weren't asking ME, but downloading podcasts, streaming Netflix, streaming radio, YouTube, NPR app, and general Internet usage (email, etc) make my 6GB/mo. average pretty level.
    what is your battery life like? i could never imagine this much internet use since i need my battery to last. lol
    08-31-2010 04:37 PM
    what is your battery life like? i could never imagine this much internet use since i need my battery to last. lol
    My battery life is excellent. I think the ~10 hour estimate is accurate when I am using 3G and better when I am on wifi.

I have no complaints on that score. Its battery lasts longer than any laptop I have ever had.

Jailbreak it and use stuff like Backgrounder and your battery life will take a hit, but remain exceptional.
    08-31-2010 04:47 PM
    My battery life is excellent. I think the ~10 hour estimate is accurate when I am using 3G and better when I am on wifi.

I have no complaints on that score. Its battery lasts longer than any laptop I have ever had.

Jailbreak it and use stuff like Backgrounder and your battery life will take a hit, but remain exceptional.
    damn im impressed because i am on the road alot and often cant use a charger of any kind and rely 3g only in great coverage areas but i am using my phone for like 5 hours straight i just try to stay away from too heavy media so i dont screw my self lol but i guess i will try and push it a little harder.
    08-31-2010 09:54 PM
    Guess I will see about the soft cap.

Last edited by slalomskie; 09-19-2010 at 09:52 AM.
    09-19-2010 09:50 AM
    i went into upgrade my phone to the iphone 4 and they tried to push the $25 plan down my throat i told them to look up my last month's usage and they did... it was 11256mb i politely told them that ill beholding on to my unlimited plan for a little bit longer then pay the $95 that using 11+ gigs would cost
    09-19-2010 06:27 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD