I'd bet the 1.7% return rate is a little low

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Forget which side of the fence you sit on (whether or not there the annennta issue is big or small). Also let's assume Apple is not lying about the return percentage. Even if there wasn't an issue with the phone I'd automatically figure that the iPhone 4 return rate would be lower than that of the 3GS.

Last June I was able to walk into an Apple store on the Monday after launch an purchase an iPhone. Now there is a 3 week backlog on a much higher antisipated phone. Most people are just going to sell their phones if they don't like it instead of retuning it. Just look on eBay and see what they are selling for, even with the higher ETF it still profitable to sell online. I also don't think they are counting contract brakes in the return percentage.

Just a thought and I'd like to see what the difference is when you add that data.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
ya I agree completely im not one of the people that wants to get rid of the iPhone 4 as I like mine but I do agree

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Geeks like us usually keep things more so than non-geeks. I also think that number is low, but I think the reason it is low is because many have been waiting on Apple to announce something officially. Well now they have, so will that number go up?

I think Apple made a good case in that they were able to show it isn't just the iPhone 4 that does this and they are giving folks a free bumper or case to deal with the reception issue when holding it on X marks the spot.

I've said this in another thread, if I decided to bring it back what are my options? Go back the 3GS? Make a big jump and go Droid? I've already given my son my 3GS. I have checked out Droid and while it has some nice features, it lacks polish among a few other things. I have car docks, home docks, docks at the office all geared towards iPhones. So for me to switch would mean making a lot of changes. I just don't see this issue ultimately big enough to make me want to do that.

So, I will stick with the iPhone 4. But there are some that simply will not. I don't think geeks on a forum though doing a poll speaks for the population as a whole, but maybe so!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Actually, the people in the forums run a good cross section. The big geeks don't do forums at all, or very very little. Those who are totally out of the tech loop and just think the iPhone is cool...don't know forums exist. It's that middle of the road cross section that you find here.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the people in the forums run a good cross section. The big geeks don't do forums at all, or very very little. Those who are totally out of the tech loop and just think the iPhone is cool...don't know forums exist. It's that middle of the road cross section that you find here.

I agree to a point, but I still don't think those that frequent forums are really representative of our society as a whole. I've always gotten the sense that those that do the forum thing are a bit more geeky than the average. I do understand that real geeks live in the own little world! LOL Again I could be wrong and you could be right! None the less your point is well taken!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
iPhone is the king of customer satisfaction. People can moan about it all they want but those who actually own an iPhone are usually satisfied with it.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
iPhone is the king of customer satisfaction. People can moan about it all they want but those who actually own an iPhone are usually satisfied with it.

Indeed! Even with the issues I've been able to replicate (solved with a case) I am absolutely satisfied with it. I think it is the best phone I've ever owned. I love the display, everything runs smooth.

Bottom line though is you can't always satisfy everyone all the time. For me like I said looking at the options, there is just nothing out there that can beat it.

I'll be excited for you Jellotime when you get yours at the end of the month. It will be on then :)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Indeed! Even with the issues I've been able to replicate (solved with a case) I am absolutely satisfied with it. I think it is the best phone I've ever owned. I love the display, everything runs smooth.

Bottom line though is you can't always satisfy everyone all the time. For me like I said looking at the options, there is just nothing out there that can beat it.

I'll be excited for you Jellotime when you get yours at the end of the month. It will be on then :)

Hahaha indeed.. White 32GB here I come!

pkang

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I would have to agree with everything said. Despite the antenna issue, doesnt really bother me because the phone is still awesome. It still has a great retina display which I have first hand compared to the android phones and nothing comes close. It still records HD movies, great picture qualities, great on wifi, and not being that big on talking....this phone is still the best in my opinion.

I'm not returning it but I am gonna get a case for it. Whats the chances that apple runs out of bumpers and starts to offer up any case up to 30 bucks on apple? I would like them to buy me a switcheasy nude clear case for 23 bucks....would steve jobs make that happen haha

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Did anyone else notice that when they were talkin about returns, that the data was only from AT&T? Why? Why not all points of sales. Or at least include their own data. Just saying

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Did anyone else notice that when they were talkin about returns, that the data was only from AT&T? Why? Why not all points of sales. Or at least include their own data. Just saying

They said AT&T is their largest seller, so any data from Apple stores would be smaller anyway.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
When i try something, i use most of the period to try it out. It's not 30 days yet. The % might be more meaningful after 7/24. Not to mention people were waiting to see what Apple might say or do.

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the returns are going up much, cases definatley help. For fun, I took the cases off my iPhone 2G and my Nexus One, also whipped out my blackberry, you can "death grip" all of em', just like Jobs said, not so much with the cases. It was a smart move by apple to offer cases.

newiphoneuser

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the antena issue but in not returning it. Its still a great phone basically every phone I have owned has had defects.

My first sidekick...

My htc touch pro had broken gps and crappy reception

My blackberry 9700 was falling apart due to manufacturing problems.

newiphoneuser

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the antena issue but in not returning it. Its still a great phone basically every phone I have owned has had defects.

My first sidekick...

My htc touch pro had broken gps and crappy reception

My blackberry 9700 was falling apart due to manufacturing problems.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711