Are you happy with Apple's Bumper solution!?

Are you happy with Apple's "solution" ?

• Yes , great idea!

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • H3LL No! This isnt a solution, its just hiding behind covers !

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Its ok for now, But I feel tricked

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • I was hoping for recall, but this will do for now

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • No! I am returning my iPhone 4 !!

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters

pakman92

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello, first post. I'm a transplant from BlackBerry Bold and Crackberry.com Forum.

I went to the local apple store and picked up a black bumper after Jobs' announcement. I figure I can get a refund and the stores will run out of them very quickly. All this even though my iPhone 4 hasn't arrived yet. Ordered online from ATT July 10...

Chris_c81

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Also, remember guys, I'll go out on a limb and say you'll need to provide a proof of purchase for your Bumper. So make sure you keep your receipts, and don't forget that when you buy from the Apple Retail Store, you can have your receipt emailed to you ;)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Also, remember guys, I'll go out on a limb and say you'll need to provide a proof of purchase for your Bumper. So make sure you keep your receipts, and don't forget that when you buy from the Apple Retail Store, you can have your receipt emailed to you ;)

It won't be receipts. It will be account and serial numbers.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
nope, dude at the apple store said you would need your receipt as well. You can have it printed at the store or emailed or both.

... It's only going to be available online, which they said during the keynote today. Have computer gained consciousness enough to read our receipts? I don't think so...

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy. I wasn't really having any trouble and now I get a free bumper to use if I choose. It's good.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
for those of you unhappy...instead of crying on the internet why not just return the phone and move on? seems much easier and cost effective...just sayin ;-)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'll take the free bumper/case/what ever. But I, like Steve, cannot produce the death grip "issue" on my new iPhone 4 so it doesn't really matter to me. On top of that I use a case anyway. The update to fix the bar reporting is also very welcome.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
For those of you that already bought your bumper, definitely keep your receipts and keep them handy. You'll need proof that you did buy one in order to get the refund.

Last edited:

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I bought the bumper cover with my iPhone on launch day but returned it because it was so think that I couldn't plug my car adapter or headphone jack that attach to my computer speakers. I ended up going with the invisible shield and love it.

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Works for me. I've got invisible shields on front and back and a black bumper case and have zero issues making calls or making a data connection.

In short, this is the best smartphone I've used yet.

I have to agree with some earlier posters - if you're having such tragic problems with your iPhone 4, it might just be time to accept the issue, return the phone, and move on.

It's unfortunate that you're having difficulties in using a product you were so excited to get, and I sympathize, but Apple is doing as much as they can here. To ask for a re-call or a manufacturing change is to simply unrealistic.

You can downgrade to the 3GS, accept their peace offering, or move on to a new phone/carrier, but I wouldn't expect anything else out of Apple on this. Which is pretty reasonable.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I know the total amount of iPhone 4s with antenna issues is a fraction of what's sold (yet more or less affecting around 20.000 people so far) , but lets say after the free bumper deal most of these annoyed users are happy and those who arent will never be happy......
How would ya'll react , if Apple released a new batch of iPhone 4s after September 30th where the antenna issue has been resolved permanently....

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I would be as happy for this new users as I am for me. I am able to replicate this issue yet I have seen no negative affect to my daily usage. So I am very happy and satisfied without a case. With a free case? Well that is just gravy!

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, the attenuation doesn't affect me at all, but I also live in a strong signal area. I'll find out how bad it is when I go visit the in-laws here in a few weeks.

I bought the bumper on launch day out of paranoia. I was a bit pissed having to drop an extra $30 at first. After the fact, I'm glad I did. The lips on the bumper really help keep the phone up off what ever surface it happens to be sitting on. Even though I'm content with the bumper, I'm pleased I'll get my $30 back.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Did Apple fail with this model?

Absolutely. 100 million dollars in research labs got you worse reception of all phones in weaker signal areas. Their secrecy of testing in public came back to bite them in the ass. I personally can reproduce the problem every now and then, but I don't lose calls or data reliability because of it. If someone is tethering, chances are they aren't giving it the death grip. It's laying down somewhere transmitting. Another redesign is going to be necessary for the antennas, possibly even putting them back inside. It is a little blown out of proportion and while some pundits compare this to Toyota, those people are insane. I am happy enough with mine. Yeah proximity sensor, I'm looking at you!

Did Apple make amends yesterday?

Yes and no. The case freebie is the only real band-aid solution, so that was expected. There are those who do not going to be satisfied no matter what. What more could Jobs do? He apologized in the QA, he took responsibility, but he was also a little deceiving on trying to generalize the problem amongst everyone. To be fair, Apple does have the bigger target on their back due to their popularity.

Our group on this site is small compared the general population and we all understand technology. The general public, like the woman in aisle 2 waiting to check out, hears or reads about what consumer reports, CNN, Foxnews, maybe your local paper, and other sources of information say and word of mouth spreads amongst them. Perception. Windows Vista. I personally had no issue with that OS and liked it overall. The public perception killed it and Microsoft came back with Windows 7, which is very solid IMO.

If anyone can come back with the next version, it's Apple. i4G/5/whatever will be much improved. People speak with their wallets and so far it's working. It's likely to taper off some because of this "Antennagate" situation, but Apple will be fine. If you don't like it, return it.

Ghostface out!

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Did Apple fail with this model?

Absolutely. 100 million dollars in research labs got you worse reception of all phones in weaker signal areas. Their secrecy of testing in public came back to bite them in the ass. I personally can reproduce the problem every now and then, but I don't lose calls or data reliability because of it. If someone is tethering, chances are they aren't giving it the death grip. It's laying down somewhere transmitting. Another redesign is going to be necessary for the antennas, possibly even putting them back inside. It is a little blown out of proportion and while some pundits compare this to Toyota, those people are insane. I am happy enough with mine. Yeah proximity sensor, I'm looking at you!

Did Apple make amends yesterday?

Yes and no. The case freebie is the only real band-aid solution, so that was expected. There are those who do not going to be satisfied no matter what. What more could Jobs do? He apologized in the QA, he took responsibility, but he was also a little deceiving on trying to generalize the problem amongst everyone. To be fair, Apple does have the bigger target on their back due to their popularity.

Our group on this site is small compared the general population and we all understand technology. The general public, like the woman in aisle 2 waiting to check out, hears or reads about what consumer reports, CNN, Foxnews, maybe your local paper, and other sources of information say and word of mouth spreads amongst them. Perception. Windows Vista. I personally had no issue with that OS and liked it overall. The public perception killed it and Microsoft came back with Windows 7, which is very solid IMO.

If anyone can come back with the next version, it's Apple. i4G/5/whatever will be much improved. People speak with their wallets and so far it's working. It's likely to taper off some because of this "Antennagate" situation, but Apple will be fine. If you don't like it, return it.

Ghostface out!

Amen, just like that stupid youtube video said, if you don't like it don't buy it. If you bought it, just return it.

I'm paranoid, so my phones end up in cases, no matter how much I wish I could just keep them "Naked".

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Amen, just like that stupid youtube video said, if you don't like it don't buy it. If you bought it, just return it.

I'm paranoid, so my phones end up in cases, no matter how much I wish I could just keep them "Naked".

For those saying "just return it", go to itunes and add up all the money you've spent on apps or drm media. I doubt many want to give up new features and return to the 3GS or they may have gotten rid of that phone.

My recommendation is instead, just deal with it if you're invested in the ecosytem. Use a bumper or just be mindful of the way you hold the phone. That's pretty simple to do. In 11 short months, a new model will be out that no doubt will focus on minimizing this issue.

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
For those saying "just return it", go to itunes and add up all the money you've spent on apps or drm media. I doubt many want to give up new features and return to the 3GS or they may have gotten rid of that phone.

My recommendation is instead, just deal with it if you're invested in the ecosytem. Use a bumper or just be mindful of the way you hold the phone. That's pretty simple to do. In 11 short months, a new model will be out that no doubt will focus on minimizing this issue.

"Just return it." Doesn't refer to everyone. The point of that is, if you have that big of an issue with something you bought, return it, no one is forcing you to keep it. It's up to the user. I personally, as I've said, put a case on everything anyway, so I have no problem with Apple's "Solution".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2