View Poll Results: Are you happy with Apple's "solution" ?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes , great idea!

51 52.58%
  • H3LL No! This isnt a solution, its just hiding behind covers !

19 19.59%
  • Its ok for now, But I feel tricked

12 12.37%
  • I was hoping for recall, but this will do for now

10 10.31%
  • No! I am returning my iPhone 4 !!

5 5.15%
    Free case for me!!! I can't replicate the issue with my phone either but I don't care, I'll take a free case.
    07-17-2010 12:28 AM
    Works for me. I've got invisible shields on front and back and a black bumper case and have zero issues making calls or making a data connection.

In short, this is the best smartphone I've used yet.

I have to agree with some earlier posters - if you're having such tragic problems with your iPhone 4, it might just be time to accept the issue, return the phone, and move on.

It's unfortunate that you're having difficulties in using a product you were so excited to get, and I sympathize, but Apple is doing as much as they can here. To ask for a re-call or a manufacturing change is to simply unrealistic.

You can downgrade to the 3GS, accept their peace offering, or move on to a new phone/carrier, but I wouldn't expect anything else out of Apple on this. Which is pretty reasonable.
    07-17-2010 01:15 AM
    I know the total amount of iPhone 4s with antenna issues is a fraction of what's sold (yet more or less affecting around 20.000 people so far) , but lets say after the free bumper deal most of these annoyed users are happy and those who arent will never be happy......
    How would ya'll react , if Apple released a new batch of iPhone 4s after September 30th where the antenna issue has been resolved permanently....
    07-17-2010 09:39 AM
    I would be as happy for this new users as I am for me. I am able to replicate this issue yet I have seen no negative affect to my daily usage. So I am very happy and satisfied without a case. With a free case? Well that is just gravy!
    07-17-2010 12:06 PM
    Yeah, the attenuation doesn't affect me at all, but I also live in a strong signal area. I'll find out how bad it is when I go visit the in-laws here in a few weeks.

I bought the bumper on launch day out of paranoia. I was a bit pissed having to drop an extra $30 at first. After the fact, I'm glad I did. The lips on the bumper really help keep the phone up off what ever surface it happens to be sitting on. Even though I'm content with the bumper, I'm pleased I'll get my $30 back.
    07-17-2010 12:18 PM
    Did Apple fail with this model?

Absolutely. 100 million dollars in research labs got you worse reception of all phones in weaker signal areas. Their secrecy of testing in public came back to bite them in the ***. I personally can reproduce the problem every now and then, but I don't lose calls or data reliability because of it. If someone is tethering, chances are they aren't giving it the death grip. It's laying down somewhere transmitting. Another redesign is going to be necessary for the antennas, possibly even putting them back inside. It is a little blown out of proportion and while some pundits compare this to Toyota, those people are insane. I am happy enough with mine. Yeah proximity sensor, I'm looking at you!

Did Apple make amends yesterday?

Yes and no. The case freebie is the only real band-aid solution, so that was expected. There are those who do not going to be satisfied no matter what. What more could Jobs do? He apologized in the QA, he took responsibility, but he was also a little deceiving on trying to generalize the problem amongst everyone. To be fair, Apple does have the bigger target on their back due to their popularity.

Our group on this site is small compared the general population and we all understand technology. The general public, like the woman in aisle 2 waiting to check out, hears or reads about what consumer reports, CNN, Foxnews, maybe your local paper, and other sources of information say and word of mouth spreads amongst them. Perception. Windows Vista. I personally had no issue with that OS and liked it overall. The public perception killed it and Microsoft came back with Windows 7, which is very solid IMO.

If anyone can come back with the next version, it's Apple. i4G/5/whatever will be much improved. People speak with their wallets and so far it's working. It's likely to taper off some because of this "Antennagate" situation, but Apple will be fine. If you don't like it, return it.

Ghostface out!
    07-17-2010 12:59 PM

Absolutely. 100 million dollars in research labs got you worse reception of all phones in weaker signal areas. Their secrecy of testing in public came back to bite them in the ***. I personally can reproduce the problem every now and then, but I don't lose calls or data reliability because of it. If someone is tethering, chances are they aren't giving it the death grip. It's laying down somewhere transmitting. Another redesign is going to be necessary for the antennas, possibly even putting them back inside. It is a little blown out of proportion and while some pundits compare this to Toyota, those people are insane. I am happy enough with mine. Yeah proximity sensor, I'm looking at you!

Did Apple make amends yesterday?

Yes and no. The case freebie is the only real band-aid solution, so that was expected. There are those who do not going to be satisfied no matter what. What more could Jobs do? He apologized in the QA, he took responsibility, but he was also a little deceiving on trying to generalize the problem amongst everyone. To be fair, Apple does have the bigger target on their back due to their popularity.

Our group on this site is small compared the general population and we all understand technology. The general public, like the woman in aisle 2 waiting to check out, hears or reads about what consumer reports, CNN, Foxnews, maybe your local paper, and other sources of information say and word of mouth spreads amongst them. Perception. Windows Vista. I personally had no issue with that OS and liked it overall. The public perception killed it and Microsoft came back with Windows 7, which is very solid IMO.

If anyone can come back with the next version, it's Apple. i4G/5/whatever will be much improved. People speak with their wallets and so far it's working. It's likely to taper off some because of this "Antennagate" situation, but Apple will be fine. If you don't like it, return it.

Ghostface out!

Amen, just like that stupid youtube video said, if you don't like it don't buy it. If you bought it, just return it.

I'm paranoid, so my phones end up in cases, no matter how much I wish I could just keep them "Naked".
    07-17-2010 01:02 PM
    Amen, just like that stupid youtube video said, if you don't like it don't buy it. If you bought it, just return it.

I'm paranoid, so my phones end up in cases, no matter how much I wish I could just keep them "Naked".
    For those saying "just return it", go to itunes and add up all the money you've spent on apps or drm media. I doubt many want to give up new features and return to the 3GS or they may have gotten rid of that phone.

My recommendation is instead, just deal with it if you're invested in the ecosytem. Use a bumper or just be mindful of the way you hold the phone. That's pretty simple to do. In 11 short months, a new model will be out that no doubt will focus on minimizing this issue.
    07-17-2010 01:32 PM
    I like the solutions cause I'll get a case out of it ...I don't really squeeze my phone as if I'm trying to break it.
    07-17-2010 01:39 PM
    For those saying "just return it", go to itunes and add up all the money you've spent on apps or drm media. I doubt many want to give up new features and return to the 3GS or they may have gotten rid of that phone.

My recommendation is instead, just deal with it if you're invested in the ecosytem. Use a bumper or just be mindful of the way you hold the phone. That's pretty simple to do. In 11 short months, a new model will be out that no doubt will focus on minimizing this issue.
    "Just return it." Doesn't refer to everyone. The point of that is, if you have that big of an issue with something you bought, return it, no one is forcing you to keep it. It's up to the user. I personally, as I've said, put a case on everything anyway, so I have no problem with Apple's "Solution".
    07-17-2010 02:02 PM
    Im more concered about our resale value next year IF they come out with 2nd gen iPhone 4s after september without issues !
    07-17-2010 02:03 PM
    "Just return it." Doesn't refer to everyone. The point of that is, if you have that big of an issue with something you bought, return it, no one is forcing you to keep it. It's up to the user. I personally, as I've said, put a case on everything anyway, so I have no problem with Apple's "Solution".
    i agree with you 100%. If you are truely so upset that all they are doing is giving a free case then bring the phone back and get your money back. If you are invested enough into the ecosystem with apps and music (i believe DRM is not there any longer btw) then get a 3GS until the iPhone 5 comes out.

I don't get why people have to come online and keep crying after the free case deal. If its not good enough stop wasting part of your 30 days sobbing about how "mean steve is" and go get your damn $200+ back!
    07-17-2010 02:15 PM
    Im more concered about our resale value next year IF they come out with 2nd gen iPhone 4s after september without issues !
    If Apple produced a model with a different part that fixes the issue, then surely to God, Apple's next move would be to offer us the option of booking it in for repair and having the part swapped out?
    07-17-2010 02:17 PM
    If Apple produced a model with a different part that fixes the issue, then surely to God, Apple's next move would be to offer us the option of booking it in for repair and having the part swapped out?
    Doubt it, cause they gave us free bumpers, remember?
    07-17-2010 02:33 PM
    Jeez, some whiners are just impossible to please. Jobs proved that this is all but a non-issue yet still promised a $30 case/bumper to all iphone 4 users and you all are still whining.

I say kudos to Steve and Apple. They've proven, yet again, that they have the greatest customer service.
    THIS.

1000x THIS.

In fact, Jobs could've introduced the iPhone 5, now available at $0 on contract, with 128GB of space, and given a free one to every iPhone 4 owner, and I guarantee these people would all still be whining.
    07-17-2010 02:38 PM

Absolutely. 100 million dollars in research labs got you worse reception of all phones in weaker signal areas!
    Sorry, that's totally incorrect. I live in a very weak signal area, I couldn't make or receive calls in my house with either my 3G or 3Gs.

I have NO problems with my 4, I can make and receive calls, yes I need to be careful where I hold it, but I'll take that anyday over not being able to make calls at all with the previous 2 models.

That proves to me at least that this phone has improved reception due to the external antenna design.
    07-17-2010 03:04 PM
    Sorry, that's totally incorrect. I live in a very weak signal area, I couldn't make or receive calls in my house with either my 3G or 3Gs.

I have NO problems with my 4, I can make and receive calls, yes I need to be careful where I hold it, but I'll take that anyday over not being able to make calls at all with the previous 2 models.

That proves to me at least that this phone has improved reception due to the external antenna design.
    Exactly... And all the speed tests I've seen confirm my belief that the phone actually gets much MUCH better reception than the 3GS, 3G, or 2G ever did. The only time the reception is worse is in weak coverage areas, while the 'deadspot' is being covered.
    07-17-2010 03:32 PM
    No problems, but free bumper? Heck yes!
    07-17-2010 04:04 PM
    In fact, Jobs could've introduced the iPhone 5, now available at $0 on contract, with 128GB of space, and given a free one to every iPhone 4 owner, and I guarantee these people would all still be whining.
    I guarantee you're wrong. I'm pretty sure no one would complain if they got what you just listed.
    Last edited by reemas; 07-17-2010 at 04:12 PM.
    07-17-2010 04:09 PM
    When I first received the phone and used it, without knowing about the so call antenna problem, I called several people immediately and some were local and some were long distance. My mom lives about 400 miles away in SoCal, and we talked for quite awhile and the reception was much better than my 3GS, I'd say more clear than before. So my initial impression was that it has improved reception. Plus at my place the signal bounces around, some places are 5 bars and other parts of the house are 1-2 bars. I was walking around cupping it in my left hand, you know the so called "death grip", and covering the spot with my palm and the called never faded or sounded distorted in any way.

After learning about the problem, I still do not have any problems with voice or data other than the data speed sucks in the Bay Area. With my 3GS, the speed test came back at 1.2 Mbps After getting my 4 the speed is still the same. I'm keeping mine. And I bought the bumper on release day so I get the refund! But if your not happy I would say return it. If your in it for the resale value well then that's just wrong. I believe that Apple will fix it if there is a hardware change. It's only been 3 weeks so in a month they should have done troubleshooting and testing, plus get more data to make the right decisions for the fix.

I am satisfied for the moment with the bumper solution. I gonna wait to see what happens. All in all if you can't take it then GTFO!
    Last edited by iLurk13; 07-17-2010 at 06:30 PM.
    07-17-2010 06:27 PM
    An "I couldn't care less" option should be added to the poll. I've been
    just fine with my iPhone 4. Whatever they did, I was going to be fine.
    07-17-2010 06:29 PM
    I"m just fine. Bought a solid case to protect the phone. Works well. Jobs did well in promising the bumpers. Remember, you can still return the phone and get your refund. So stop complaining.
    07-17-2010 07:08 PM
    I accepted it, and have to say it works ok now, or it would do if Vodafone the the UK had better coverage!
    03-04-2011 11:33 AM
    Nothing against the iP4, but the antenna issues were one of the reasons I went with the iP3GS. It seemed as though there were too many problems with the iP4, almost as if Apple rushed to bring it to market and overlooked some of the quality they are known for. Just my $.02.

chesterhound
    03-04-2011 04:37 PM
    It has worked for me so far. I actually prefer it to other cases.
    03-04-2011 06:30 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD