Am I the only one with a brick thanks to 4.0.1?

iNitvizn

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The mac forums have quite a few folks who had problems, but most seem to be able to restore after a few attempts. Upgrading to 4.0.1 for me bricked my new iPhone 4. I've tried 10+ times to restore using different PC's and no luck so far (error code 14 on both most of the time). Anyone else here having trouble?

I don't have an Apple store within 3 hours of me - so if they have to swap it out via shipping back and forth, I may have to wait a while. :mad::mad:

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My iMac (2007 Aluminum) has been having weird issues with updating iPhones. I have attempted to restore my 3G, a friends 3G, and my iPhone 4. All of them freeze up about half way thru. I have to unplug the iPhone, which then goes into Recovery Mode due to a bad install.

My 12" Powerbook, on the other hand, has no problems restoring or updating iPhones.

What I do now is backup to my main system, and then update or restore from the other.

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
Mine failed and I was forced to restore. Luckily, I did so with no issues and now have the useless 4.0.1 running. Although, another major downside was it didn't sync all my apps, so I had to redo my folders. Apple is losing my faith, though I'm far from a fanboy.

tsky74

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
INitvizn,
I had my phone stuck all night. Tried restore and it would either get stuck or error 14. I had a cell from tech support this morning and my phone is now working. I was unaware they In order to properly do a full restore, I had to hold down the Home button for a 10 seconds (make sure the phone is completely off) and keep it held while plugging in the dock cable. Then you release the Home button when the "restore" message on iTunes pops up. This worked for me after about 10 failures last night. Hope this helps.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like this is more computer related than actually the update itself. I updated an iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and an iPad, no problem!!!

iNitvizn

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like this is more computer related than actually the update itself. I updated an iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and an iPad, no problem!!!

Maybe so - I'm back up and running. I tried it again on my old laptop (3rd PC I've tried) after installing iTunes (it never had it on there) - and it restored perfectly. Weird thing is - I upgraded my old 3G on my laptop without re-installing iTunes and it upgraded to 4.0.1 without a hitch.

Who knows, but I appear to be back in business....:cool:

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
It's funny all the people that I know that have had issues with this update have been using a PC. I'm starting to wonder if it is just a Windows issue and not one that is happening to Mac users.

iNitvizn

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
It's funny all the people that I know that have had issues with this update have been using a PC. I'm starting to wonder if it is just a Windows issue and not one that is happening to Mac users.

I think you may be right - I know 3 others with iPhone 4's and they were all on Macs and had no trouble. Most of the problems I've seen on the mac discussion boards also appear to have occurred on Windows PC's.

iMarna

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I just tried it with Win7. After a 32 minute download, it hung in the "preparing iPhone for update" phase. Then I got the "iPhone could not be updated. An unknown error occureed (1603)."

iTunes wouldn't recognize my iPhone at that point. I closed it down and reopened it with the iPhone disconnected. Reconnected and iTunes said it located an iPhone in recovery mode and that I'd need to restore it, and lose all data and settings. Yay.

During this time, the iPhone displayed the Apple logo and wouldn't respond even turn it off.

Restore is done... it's all gone. Damn.

I am ever-so-grateful to Apple and the whole backup process. I'd be in a world of hurt without it.

Bill McNeal

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
Just happened to me. I wasn't even going to install the update, but I plugged in to sync some old CDs I just ripped and figured eh, wth. And now I'm in brick city. This stinks, I'm on my 3rd time attempting to recover. I'm going to lose all of my pics and videos now aren't I? ugh...

I did this on a Windows 7 PC

ktdw

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
I had problems too. Couldn't upgrade, and then couldn't restore. The guys at Apple couldn't help, but then I did my own research and found that it could be the USB port. I switched my plug to a different USB port, and the install went smoothly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711