• Yes

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

pktgumby

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
The update notes only have one line: Improves the formula to determine how many bars of signal strength to display.

By that, I'm guessing they haven't yet addressed the proximity sensor issue with the iPhone 4 (can't test it as I'm on 3GS). The new bars do not look as nice as they used to, but are probably more accurate as I am now getting between 1-2 bars in the exact same spot that I have been showing almost always 5 full bars for the past year. This would probably explain my horribly unstable and slow 3G connection even when showing full bars.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
i honestly like that the bars are a bit taller, at least the first one. before, you could barely tell if the first bar was even there when the others were flat lines.

The update notes only have one line: Improves the formula to determine how many bars of signal strength to display.

By that, I'm guessing they haven't yet addressed the proximity sensor issue with the iPhone 4 (can't test it as I'm on 3GS). The new bars do not look as nice as they used to, but are probably more accurate as I am now getting between 1-2 bars in the exact same spot that I have been showing almost always 5 full bars for the past year. This would probably explain my horribly unstable and slow 3G connection even when showing full bars.

I don't think the new Bar graphic has ANYTHING to do with the formula used, but rather just to aid in visually seeing when you have 1 bar, and not 5 flat lines with the first one being 1 pixel taller.

pktgumby

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
i honestly like that the bars are a bit taller, at least the first one. before, you could barely tell if the first bar was even there when the others were flat lines.

I don't think the new Bar graphic has ANYTHING to do with the formula used, but rather just to aid in visually seeing when you have 1 bar, and not 5 flat lines with the first one being 1 pixel taller.
Yes, you're right. I didn't mean that they were more accurate simply because of the design of them, but it does sound that way when I read my post. What I intended to say was that the bars are now actually an accurate representation of my true signal strength, which is apparently pretty crummy in my office.

LarryF

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
Wow - what a joke. Installed it on my 3 GS. Why? I don't know. I always need "the latest".

Anyway - went from a solid 5 bars, down to three. If this actually "fixes" anything, maybe we can have Apple make the battery meter drop slower. Make the battery last longer.......

Or not.

Larry

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Wow - what a joke. Installed it on my 3 GS. Why? I don't know. I always need "the latest".

Anyway - went from a solid 5 bars, down to three. If this actually "fixes" anything, maybe we can have Apple make the battery meter drop slower. Make the battery last longer.......

Or not.

Larry

we were told this is what was going to happen before they did it they didn't hide this anywhere

LarryF

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
we were told this is what was going to happen before they did it they didn't hide this anywhere

Oh absolutely. I agree 100%. But to tie this to the issue at hand, as a solution to the iPhone 4 antenna issue, is.... well strange. I certainly have no objection to a more accurate meter -NO problem there.

But ..... The idea seems to be that now, instead of dropping from 5 bars to "SEARCHING", it will go from a more accurate 2-3 Bars to "SEARCHING". I'm just not sure how that solves any antenna issues they have with the iPhone 4.

We'll see what they say tomorrow.

Larry

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
New bars...yeah, so what?

For the record, my cheek put five calls on "mute" today...after the update!!:mad:

So, proximity sensor isn't fixed.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh absolutely. I agree 100%. But to tie this to the issue at hand, as a solution to the iPhone 4 antenna issue, is.... well strange. I certainly have no objection to a more accurate meter -NO problem there.

But ..... The idea seems to be that now, instead of dropping from 5 bars to "SEARCHING", it will go from a more accurate 2-3 Bars to "SEARCHING". I'm just not sure how that solves any antenna issues they have with the iPhone 4.

We'll see what they say tomorrow.

Larry

it doesn't fix the issue as I personally didn't think it would its def a hardware problem and no amount of software tweaks can possibly fix that :) I just want apple to come clean about it and quit denying that its a problem

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Here's something I just noticed. When the alarm goes off now while the phone is locked, the only option you get is "snooze." Which is much better. That way you can't accidentally hit "ok"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh