I searched through the forum quickly to find out about the iphone 4's scratch resistance. There are a ton of threads about cracking if dropped and stuff of that nature, but what about the phones natural scratch resistance. I really like the phones natural screen and don't want a protector (same for the back). All I want to use is the bumper. I take good care of my phone (never put it in my pocket with anything else, not even paper). Is anyone out there getting a lot of scratches? I went for almost 6 months without a screen protector on my 3g and never had scratches. Let me know your thoughts and experiences. Also, if there is a thread somewhere else, please let me know.
    07-15-2010 09:32 AM
    No scratches here, I try and make sure I don't put it in a pocket with keys, coins etc but I put it down on my desk, table etc and so far it's been fine. It seems far more resistant to scratches than the 3Gs.
    07-15-2010 09:44 AM
    If your careful you can feasibly go without screen protection and avoid scratches. But beware if people warning you about your "human" side coming out and making you forget to be careful.

Currently I have been using just the bumper and no scratches.
    07-15-2010 09:55 AM
    It is like anything else if you are super careful, then you may get by without any scratches. But lets not fool ourselves you can scratch the iPhone 4. Resistance is is futile and your iPhone 4 shall be assimilated into a scratch when you least expect it.

chobbs1 is right though unless you are a programmed machine things do happen. So protect at the level in which you feel most comfortable for the way you live your life. Most of us accept that it is just a phone and really don't want to have to worry about, OMG did I put my keys in the same pocket with my phone? If you use a bumper and screen protection you don't have to worry about it. If you don't then of course you have to be always mindful.
    Last edited by OTACORB; 07-15-2010 at 11:08 AM.
    07-15-2010 11:06 AM
    I have one tiny scratch on the back of mine. Then again, my iPhone is naked and gets tossed on the coffee table, bed, couch or computer desk. It sees abuse regularly.
    07-15-2010 11:20 AM
    this glass doesn't seem as strong as previous versions of the iphone simply because of how many broken units are coming up I would be careful
    07-15-2010 11:22 AM
    Why, how many broken units are coming up?

The only one I've seen is the one Gizmodo threw at the floor 5 times before it smashed, hardly a real life test that is it?
    07-15-2010 11:24 AM
    Why, how many broken units are coming up?

The only one I've seen is the one Gizmodo threw at the floor 5 times before it smashed, hardly a real life test that is it?
    on the apple discussion forums theres many people who shattered there phone by simply dropping it sometimes very small distances
    07-15-2010 11:26 AM
    i got two scratches on my screen the first day i had it and i kept it in my pocket the whole day cuz i was at work
    07-15-2010 11:46 AM
    I've got two/three tiny scratches on the front and they are driving me nuts. Not real sure how I got them either. I dont use a case but I am very careful with it. I never put it in my pocket with keys/coins. When I set it donw on my desk, I do so on my mouse pad or stack of papers.

I to dislike having a screen protector and went well over a year with my 3gs not having a single scratch.
    07-15-2010 11:49 AM
    Even with a bumper on, the phone doesn't feel protected or safe.
    07-15-2010 12:05 PM
    Even with a bumper on, the phone doesn't feel protected or safe.
    Form over function. As Apple says "It's a fun and unique way to personalize your iPhone 4" and give a splash of color to.

Did you see them say anything about protection?
    07-15-2010 12:20 PM
    Hey, OP you should post the exact same thread on every other iPhone forum you're on. Seriouly, posting this on MacRumors and getting bashed already wasn't enough? lol
    07-15-2010 12:22 PM
    I have a protection on the front and back. Also the sweet looking Vapor4 Case will be shipping to me in a few weeks with the carbon fiber backing so no worries.
    07-15-2010 01:13 PM
    Hey, OP you should post the exact same thread on every other iPhone forum you're on. Seriouly, posting this on MacRumors and getting bashed already wasn't enough? lol
    Hey thanks for contributing to the discussion.
    07-15-2010 01:38 PM
    Thanks OTACORB. You do not disappoint! And this time it was even funny. You rock!
    07-15-2010 03:43 PM
    Thanks OTACORB. You do not disappoint! And this time it was even funny. You rock!
    Well you are my favorite poster!
    07-15-2010 03:47 PM
    Hey thanks for contributing to the discussion.
    You're quite welcome. In fact, like I said go post it on every other forum, like you're not just trying to troll everywhere bro, its obvious.....
    07-15-2010 06:23 PM
    1 drop - 2ft. - commercial tiled floor - with bumper - no damage - no scratches
    07-15-2010 06:59 PM
    You're quite welcome. In fact, like I said go post it on every other forum, like you're not just trying to troll everywhere bro, its obvious.....
    Define trolling. I asked a question here, and on another forum. What is wrong with that? You've never asked the same question to more than one person? I simply wanted to know some peoples opinion about scratches on the new iphone. 2 forums out of probably hundreds hardly seems to classify as trolling. You, however, posting in every thread that is created whether you have something informative to say or not seems to be more inline with trolling. Enjoy life being a hypocrite.
    07-15-2010 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD