Press conference Friday

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Honestly the first line of your arguement made no sense so I stopped reading after that. You're saying that people who live in a strong signal area think they don't have a problem but because they live in a strong signal area doesn't mean their phone doesn't have a problem:confused:A cell phone is made to work so if you can use it to call why would you care??? that's like saying well cars have a engine problem when driven above 200 mph but no one knows because the speed limit is 100 mph. So the people in strong signal areas should take the phone to a weak signal area to test if it has a problem, but how do you know the problem is the phone and not the reception?

It is with the phone. I have an i4, my wife has an old Motorola L7 dumbphone. We are both on AT&T. In a weak signal area, if she has two bars, I have none...i.e. no service. I can make calls with my wife's phone while I can't do squat with mine. I can reproduce this in any area with a weak signal.

In a area with a strong signal, I might drop a couple of bars but I can still make calls.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Honestly the first line of your arguement made no sense so I stopped reading after that. You're saying that people who live in a strong signal area think they don't have a problem but because they live in a strong signal area doesn't mean their phone doesn't have a problem:confused:A cell phone is made to work so if you can use it to call why would you care??? that's like saying well cars have a engine problem when driven above 200 mph but no one knows because the speed limit is 100 mph. So the people in strong signal areas should take the phone to a weak signal area to test if it has a problem, but how do you know the problem is the phone and not the reception?

Maybe you are right it makes no sense if you are not being impacted where you work and live. I also hope you are right that it is only some phones and not all of them. Again I don't know. I am simply sharing my experiences in testing these phones out. I do agree that if you aren't being impacted you likely don't care, which is my point exactly! Does not mean there is no problem though and unfortunately not all of us live in work in areas where we have a rock solid strong signal! Thank You!

I think lungo just explained it better than I could why I know it is the phone and not the reception!

Last edited:

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
the problem is the hardware... there is no software update to fix the reception issue. the dropped calls will still be the same a year from now because its a HARDWARE issue. I called 911 the other day because there was a nasty car accident in front of me and guess what? Yep, i dropped the call...this is amazing, i love it! Mark my words, one day someone will be in a life/ death situation and that one call that could have saved their life will drop. Then maybe Apple will do something...

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Free bumpers... OTACORB :)

Hey, Hey, Hey... Honestly I think for most users this will solve the issue. Does it ultimately fix the problem NO, but I think this is Apple acknowledging that there are customers having this issue. We love our customers and we want to make them ALL happy.

I still think there are more people having the problem than being reported and they have data that reflects this isn't just our imagination, though they refuse to actually admit the real numbers. Which I don't think they have or really just unsure of, so don't want to give a number. I think they are being more transparent and I think this is what I wanted and hoped for.

I do agree that a lot of phones have this kind of issue, but not at the level of the iPhone 4.

Last edited:

LaPs

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
Free bumper, great. But now I have to remove it every time I want to use the $29 dock I finally decided to pickup for this phone.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
What about the equally common proximity sensor problems? A case or bumper freebie won't fix that!

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey OTACORB;

I guess the 1% I estimated yesterday wasn't just out of my arse eh? ;)

Jobs said 0.55% so that's even less..

Yeah you were pretty close to the mark! I am honestly glad to hear it as I told Duvi. I do think many have not reported the issue because they have been waiting on an official response. We will really never know the real numbers.

cre8tivspirit

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
Okay, I'm curious about the September 30th deadline. Is Apple releasing a new design after that? Seems to me that any iPhone 4 purchase should come with a free bumper as long as the design issue exists.

LaPs

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
Free bumpers and refunds through Sept 30th....do you think this is the cutoff for financial "we can't give away free stuff forever" reasons, or a projected exhaustion of current stock and units in production that have this "defect"? In other words, would we see an early iPhone 4 cycle HW change?

marketsqhero

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Basically after Sep 30th Apple will turn around and say, you know the potential issue, don't buy one of you don't want to, or if you do want one and you have issues we recommend you buy a bumper.

Everyone who has an iPhone, even if they don't have an issue will be ordering these free bumpers because that's what people are like.

Apple won't subsidise this minor issue forever, just while the smoke blows over and the dust settles.

They won't refresh the model until June 2011, this is Apple, they don't budge on stuff like that, not for < 1% of people.

McIPhone

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Okay, I'm curious about the September 30th deadline. Is Apple releasing a new design after that? Seems to me that any iPhone 4 purchase should come with a free bumper as long as the design issue exists.

Speculation is they have already incorporated some production changes. I read a post that the writer's first iP4 had a gap between the two antennae segments. His fingernail could "click" in between. His replacement was smooth like there may have been some coating and had no reception issues at all. My unit I received on Tuesday of this week is smooth. So if newer production has the fix without admitting any mistakes, then Sept 30th is just a date by which the dust should have settled.

No proof, just speculation.

Mac

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro