Basically after Sep 30th Apple will turn around and say, you know the potential issue, don't buy one of you don't want to, or if you do want one and you have issues we recommend you buy a bumper.

Everyone who has an iPhone, even if they don't have an issue will be ordering these free bumpers because that's what people are like.

Apple won't subsidise this minor issue forever, just while the smoke blows over and the dust settles.

They won't refresh the model until June 2011, this is Apple, they don't budge on stuff like that, not for < 1% of people.
    07-16-2010 02:12 PM
    wait, how do i get my freebumper/case? just walk into an apple store or....?
    07-16-2010 02:13 PM
    I think they email it to you
    07-16-2010 02:14 PM
    *you can do it electronically I mean, or send them an email, and they'll send you a case. Also, I think you can just go to their store and pick one up.
    07-16-2010 02:15 PM
    Okay, I'm curious about the September 30th deadline. Is Apple releasing a new design after that? Seems to me that any iPhone 4 purchase should come with a free bumper as long as the design issue exists.
    Speculation is they have already incorporated some production changes. I read a post that the writer's first iP4 had a gap between the two antennae segments. His fingernail could "click" in between. His replacement was smooth like there may have been some coating and had no reception issues at all. My unit I received on Tuesday of this week is smooth. So if newer production has the fix without admitting any mistakes, then Sept 30th is just a date by which the dust should have settled.

No proof, just speculation.

Mac
    07-16-2010 02:22 PM
    Speculation is they have already incorporated some production changes. I read a post that the writer's first iP4 had a gap between the two antennae segments. His fingernail could "click" in between. His replacement was smooth like there may have been some coating and had no reception issues at all. My unit I received on Tuesday of this week is smooth. So if newer production has the fix without admitting any mistakes, then Sept 30th is just a date by which the dust should have settled.

No proof, just speculation.

Mac
    mine is also smooth but i too had antenna issues...

but im probably going to apple store to get a bumper. Should hold me over until some better cases get released, plus it's going to be free ^_^
    07-16-2010 02:32 PM

but im probably going to apple store to get a bumper. Should hold me over until some better cases get released, plus it's going to be free ^_^
    Thought I heard you could order your free bumper (or alternative case) on Apples website next week.
    07-16-2010 02:36 PM

Would you mind snapping a photo, I'd like to see this...?
    07-16-2010 02:38 PM
    Would you mind snapping a photo, I'd like to see this...?
    yeah, i'm not 100% sure mine is the "smooth" one, but, the antenna gap on mine isnt able to be felt, i'll compare it to one of my co-worker's phones who got his on launch day.
    Thought I heard you could order your free bumper (or alternative case) on Apples website next week.
    i think they will give you a rebate if you bought one already.
    07-16-2010 02:41 PM
    yeah, i'm not 100% sure mine is the "smooth" one, but, the antenna gap on mine isnt able to be felt, i'll compare it to one of my co-worker's phones who got his on launch day.

i think they will give you a rebate if you bought one already.
    yeah they are supposed to refund your money if you already purchased one. They will post more information next week the way i understood it. so I went ahead and ordered one. Looks like I did it quick enough as the bumper case is no longer available for sale on the website.
    07-16-2010 02:57 PM
    It is with the phone. I have an i4, my wife has an old Motorola L7 dumbphone. We are both on AT&T. In a weak signal area, if she has two bars, I have none...i.e. no service. I can make calls with my wife's phone while I can't do squat with mine. I can reproduce this in any area with a weak signal.

In a area with a strong signal, I might drop a couple of bars but I can still make calls.
    I know there are phones with problems I'm not saying there aren't I was just saying I don't think it's all phones.
    07-16-2010 05:38 PM
86 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD