I just got a replacement 3gs. I did a restore and sync with itunes and all my settings and apps, music, contacts and calendar is working fine. Unfortunately I have about 900 emails now sitting in my inbox. Is there anyway to do a mass delete of these rather than one at a time using the edit/delete function. I'd love something like the mass delete option in Trash.

Thanks,
    Mike
    07-14-2010 08:20 PM
    What email server are you using? It may be as simple as doing a sync with your server if you're using Exchange or IMAP.
    07-14-2010 08:46 PM
    Thanks Alli but you need to bear with me on this. I am using comcast.net for my mail. Assume it has IMAP but not sure and not sure how to find out.

Help lol
    07-14-2010 08:57 PM
    Something like that is better done on a computer. But you can go to your inbox and select edit. Then checkmark your emails to delete then press delete
    07-14-2010 08:59 PM
    thanks chobbs1--that did it for me. I went to my email account on comcast and deleted the 864 emails there and then it automatically sync with the iphone and are gone from the iphone. much faster than trying to delete that number of emails on the iphone.

thanks to you and Alli

Mike
    07-14-2010 09:08 PM
    Glad to help
    07-14-2010 09:13 PM
    They will all go into the trash........
    ............. and then go into the trash and delete them there!

Much easier (and quicker) to do it on the computer.
    07-15-2010 04:29 AM
    I would love to find a way to do this too - but my two email accounts are both POP3. Any suggestions? I know deleting from the computer won't cause them to drop from the iPhone - I tried that. Or do I have a setting wrong?
    07-15-2010 07:14 AM
    Nope, pop3 is too low tech. You'll have to hit the edit button and then check each email you want to delete, then tap the trash button at the bottom.
    07-15-2010 09:03 AM
    Nope, pop3 is too low tech. You'll have to hit the edit button and then check each email you want to delete, then tap the trash button at the bottom.
    Too bad. On my previous device - a Treo running Windows Mobile, the built in mail app would retrieve any new mail and delete from the phone automatically any mail on the phone that was no longer on the server. This was for both of my pop3 accounts. So when I returned from a trip, I simply ran my mail on my desktop in Outlook. Then did a send/receive on the Treo and it would clear all the mail off the phone. Much better implementation of mail than I am seeing on the iPhone.
    07-15-2010 10:33 AM
    If you have to delete them all by hand, there is a way to speed it up a little. Make sure you change the mail preview lines to "none". This will reduce the scrolling you have to do. I had to do this on my verizon email after synching with my iPhone4.
    07-15-2010 11:43 AM
    If you have to delete them all by hand, there is a way to speed it up a little. Make sure you change the mail preview lines to "none". This will reduce the scrolling you have to do. I had to do this on my verizon email after synching with my iPhone4.
    Thanks. A little better anyway.
    07-15-2010 01:13 PM
    The iPhone handles email poorly, and it pretty much ignores pop3 as a relic. If there's any way for you to change to an IMAP or Exchange server, you would be doing yourself a favor.
    07-15-2010 01:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD