View Poll Results: How many iPhone 4's are being returned?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • I returned mine already.

9 8.65%
  • I know 1 person who returned his.

3 2.88%
  • I know 1-5 people who returned theirs.

4 3.85%
  • I don't know anybody who returned his.

88 84.62%
    With all the whining, complaining, and speculating going on, I only know of one person who actually returned his iPhone 4 due to the antenna issue. I still know at least 20 people who purchased them, and are happy enough to keep them.

Did you return yours? Do you know anyone who did? Or is this really a mountain out of a molehill, cause if you're unwilling to return something cause it's bad...then it can't be bad.
    07-14-2010 03:13 PM
    i was having lunch at Chilis over the weekend and i believe i convinced this college kid to NOT return his

should i ask SJ for some sort of compensation?
    07-14-2010 03:25 PM
    I think we're still in the stage where people think Apple will have a fix. It's mostly diehard fans who have phones now. I would say they're not likely to return it.

It's human nature to rationalize decisions. A lot of waiting in line, went through the preorder mess, or are otherwise too invested in Apple to simply return it. It still remains perhaps the best looking smartphone ever with killer features such as best screen out there.
    07-14-2010 03:34 PM
    I dont know anyone who returned there phone. I have read on the forums a few people who have but other than that no
    07-14-2010 03:48 PM
    While I am not happy at all with Apple's complete arrogance for a real issue that affects a good number of people, I don't plan to return my i4 anytime soon. I am able to reproduce the problem depending where I am at. Minus the proximity sensor issue (easy temp workaround), it's been rock solid.
    07-14-2010 03:49 PM
    My experience and feelings pretty much echo ghostface147's. I don't like the arrogance that is being manifested by Jobs and company, but the phone is still an excellent hunk of tech. I don't (or to date haven't) experienced any of the issues with dropped calls, unacceptable signal strength, etc, nor with the proximity sensor...

I converted from the BB 9700 for the iPhone4, and am still happy with my decision. I am far from a fanboy, but I do love this phone. And despite all of the negative press, all of my friends are envious/jealous of me and my iPhone4.

It's not going back, and I don't know anyone who returned theirs.
    07-14-2010 04:14 PM
    I know two other people with i4's and they are not returning them. I'm not returning mine either but my patience is wearing thin. As already stated a billion times by others, a simple acknowledgment of the problem(s) would be nice.
    07-14-2010 05:47 PM
    I returned mine, moved to Verizon. Hopefully the big red gets an iPhone (that works) in the next year or so.
    07-14-2010 06:02 PM
    A friend of mine returned hers, not because of the antenna issue, but something went wrong with her MicroSIM and it fried, but she exchanged it for another iPhone 4 and seems happy with it.
    07-14-2010 06:10 PM
    While I am not happy at all with Apple's complete arrogance for a real issue that affects a good number of people, I don't plan to return my i4 anytime soon. I am able to reproduce the problem depending where I am at. Minus the proximity sensor issue (easy temp workaround), it's been rock solid.
    That is my feeling exactly!

We purchased 7 iPhones for myself and management employees at the office. Between collegues, family and friends, I know of at least 17 people that have iPhone 4's. Today at my staffing I asked my staff okay guys it is "D" day do any of you want to return your iPhone 4? They all just laughed and one of them put it very bluntly. "HELL NO" We all have cases so the reception issue hasn't really been an issue. Some of us are having the promimity issue, me being one of them. But like ghost I know how to work around it, but sure hope a soon coming software update addresses it.

I have also talked with some of the others and at this time I don't know anyone returning their iPhone 4's. I totally love this phone. I can't imagine given up the speed and that great display.
    07-14-2010 10:00 PM
    There are five guys in my shop with iPhone 4's and I have more than a few friends with them and none of them are returning it. But there are quite a lot of people that I know that have not or will not upgrade from their old iPhones because of the media attention
    07-14-2010 10:07 PM
    There are five guys in my shop with iPhone 4's and I have more than a few friends with them and none of them are returning it. But there are quite a lot of people that I know that have not or will not upgrade from their old iPhones because of the media attention
    that's where i'm kind of at with all of this except i am well aware of the issues and why

the presser might be the deal breaker for me

to me having to add a bumper for the device to have better reception is ridiculous

i would have no problem returning mine if it turns out to be an issue. surely they'll get the next iPhone right.... right?
    07-15-2010 12:42 AM
    Can I ask if you have a case currently on your phone? Most people buy cases for their phones any way. So why is it bad to get one if it helps with a signal problem when you were gonna get one anyway?
    07-15-2010 01:06 AM
    that's where i'm kind of at with all of this except i am well aware of the issues and why

to me having to add a bumper for the device to have better reception is ridiculous

i would have no problem returning mine if it turns out to be an issue. surely they'll get the next iPhone right.... right?
    My i4 is naked 90% of the time and don't
    have these concerns either, so why not
    try it and not worry too much about
    others that may not experience what you
    do when you receive yours.
    07-15-2010 01:25 AM
    I just ordered me a iP4 a few days ago. Can't wait to get it. My BB is acting up and hopefully will last till the iP4 gets here.

Anyways, I have read about the reception issues online like everyone else, but people that I have spoken to personally said they don't have the issue. Now, that's not to say that I don't think the reception issue is real. because I do. But, the way I see it, I may get a iP4 that has no issues, seeing as ATT works well where I need it to and people I have spoken to don't seem to have the problems with reception.

Also, I may be weird on this, but I actually like the way the iP4 looks with a bumper better than I do without it. Now, I am in no way going to pay the $30.00 for the Apple one, but I will get one for weekends and hanging out, etc... I will get a Otter Defender case for work as soon as they are released. So, if a case is the fix for this issue, I should be covered(see what I did there?).

And, if I do have any issues with reception, software bugs, etc... I will exchange it and give the second phone a try. if that one fails, I guess I will try a Android phone. I really have no interest to go back to a Black Berry. And NetFlix streaming through the iP4 over WiFi and 3G is some of the best news I've heard in my new cellphone research. LOL
    07-15-2010 02:22 AM
    Can I ask if you have a case currently on your phone? Most people buy cases for their phones any way. So why is it bad to get one if it helps with a signal problem when you were gonna get one anyway?
    currently i do not use a case but did for a long time. i would like to have the option, not forced to use one like some. however, there are some pretty cool looking bumpers out there, but still, i would like the option

My i4 is naked 90% of the time and don't
    have these concerns either, so why not
    try it and not worry too much about
    others that may not experience what you
    do when you receive yours.
    i plan on not using any case or bumper as well because it just simply is a beautiful looking device

where i live i have no issues with coverage so hopefully that will carry over when i get one
    07-15-2010 12:26 PM
    I am returning mine for a few different reasons. The first and biggest reason is because of the at&t network. I have never dropped as many calls in my life as i have with at&t and this phone, and being right handed the antenna issue didn't affect me much, also the data speeds were the slowest of any pone i have ever had (i have had alltel, t-mobile, virgin mobile/helio, sprint, and verizon) and last but not least the 2 gig restriction just kills me cause i am too paranoid to even use the data on the phone. Also my phone freezes at least every day to every other day and it causes me to power off and power back on. it's really frustrating to do with a brand new phone.
    07-17-2010 05:14 AM
    This whole antenna thing is just blown WAY out of proportion and all phones have that same sweet spot issue, it's just not as noticeable. It makes be wonder if this whole media blitz isn't being fueled by the competition. It just seems like the people that like droid and may God bless them- I don't really care either way, I just like my iPhone, - they just seem bitter over people that love their iPhones and are happy with them.
    07-17-2010 08:46 AM
    This whole antenna thing is just blown WAY out of proportion and all phones have that same sweet spot issue, it's just not as noticeable. It makes be wonder if this whole media blitz isn't being fueled by the competition. It just seems like the people that like droid and may God bless them- I don't really care either way, I just like my iPhone, - they just seem bitter over people that love their iPhones and are happy with them.
    Well, I'll stop short of calling Jobs a "liar", but I played with my wife's BB 9700 last night and could not make the signal bars drop, no matter how/where I held it or how tightly I held/squeezed it. I can make the signal bars drop on my iPhone, but until last night, I had never dropped a call on my iPhone... and after investigating the dropped calls, I think the problem was my sister's Sprint phone that dropped the calls...

Are the other companies jealous of Apple's success? Absolutely. But I really think the others have more to worry about than feeding the media bogus claims to try to tarnish Apple's luster... but that's just my opinion.
    07-17-2010 11:31 AM
    I think it's a mountain out of a molehill. I don't see why anyone who has the problem can't put it in their pocket and use the headphones or use a BT headphone. I think the three versions were heralded as game changers and no competition so now the competition sees a chance to slam the iPhone and change some people's perception of it. I understand anyone who has the reception issue it's frustrating and you should be able to hold the phone the way you want but if you know it causes a problem then either give the phone back or try to use other methods to use the phone. If there is a problem when it's in yoyr pocket then I take this all back.
    07-17-2010 11:41 AM
    i agree with you. Plus i got i incipio case on the first day and been using it with my i4 and dont have issue with the proximity sensor either.Overall im happier with this phone.
    07-17-2010 11:48 AM
    I think it's a mountain out of a molehill. I don't see why anyone who has the problem can't put it in their pocket and use the headphones or use a BT headphone. I think the three versions were heralded as game changers and no competition so now the competition sees a chance to slam the iPhone and change some people's perception of it. I understand anyone who has the reception issue it's frustrating and you should be able to hold the phone the way you want but if you know it causes a problem then either give the phone back or try to use other methods to use the phone. If there is a problem when it's in yoyr pocket then I take this all back.
    I don't think THAT is acceptable...use headphones or a headset. But its not that serious.

I use the phone left handed. That won't change. But i simply adjusted my grip as to not touch the problem area and that's only in weak areas. It's not that big of a deal.

I think the competition and noniphone owners jump on this because let's be honest, apple furthered the distance between itself and the competition with the iphone 4. They look like specs in the rearview mirror now. Some iphone owners jumped on this as well because many simply buy the iphone as an accessory and want to impress people. Having noniphone people laugh at them with duct tape is a blow to them.

It's always been human nature to rationalize purchases or what product you use. And they do that by tearing down better alternatives to feel good about what their using. Many on sprint, for example, stay because its cheap or they're stuck on a Verizon or whatever. Therefore, they'll tear down AT&T and rip apple just to feel better about their Evo or Pre with their half baked features or build quality.

But in this instance they smelled blood and went after it. Can't make calls on the iphone? Duct tape? Bwahaha. You can bet this won't go away because its all they got.

But its important to remember that most of the them would switch to an iphone asap if offered on a sprint or verizon. They want but can't have and settle for an android instead. To cope, they tear down what it is they really desire.
    Last edited by cardfan; 07-17-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    07-17-2010 11:56 AM
    It's always been human nature to rationalize purchases or what product you use. And they do that by tearing down better alternatives to feel good about what their using. Many on sprint, for example, stay because its cheap or they're stuck on a Verizon or whatever. Therefore, they'll tear down AT&T and rip apple just to feel better about their Evo or Pre with their half baked features or build quality. .
    My buddy at work is like that. He was first in line to get the Pre. Then the hardware issues surfaced on the one's built first. Then Palm's appstore didn't blossom like Apple's. Then he dropped his phone and the sleep wake button broke. Through it all, he justified and rationalize it as a good purchase while saying he'd never go Apple because of _______.

Every now and then I'll rib him about it since Palm filed for bankruptcy and HP now owns them, which means HP will probably run what's left of Palm into the ground.
    07-17-2010 12:07 PM
    But its important to remember that most of the them would switch to an iphone asap if offered on a sprint or verizon.
    Bingo!! reception problems and all I bet if there was an iPhone 4 on Verizon or T-Mobile the same people going on and on about the iPhone 4 would be the same ones lining up for an iPhone 4.
    07-18-2010 10:34 AM

Like anything in life, you have a choice. You don't have to have a bumper on the phone for it to work. The problem only happens if you hold the phone in such a way that you personally bridge the gap in the lower left hand corner. And that's only in low signal areas. So your choice is, change how you hold the phone, or put a bumper/case on it so that you have the freedom to hold it however you want.
    07-18-2010 11:07 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD