How many returned instead of complained?

How many iPhone 4's are being returned?

• I returned mine already.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I know 1 person who returned his.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I know 1-5 people who returned theirs.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I don't know anybody who returned his.

Votes: 88 84.6%

• Total voters

parana6#IM

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
While I am not happy at all with Apple's complete arrogance for a real issue that affects a good number of people, I don't plan to return my i4 anytime soon. I am able to reproduce the problem depending where I am at. Minus the proximity sensor issue (easy temp workaround), it's been rock solid.

i agree with you. Plus i got i incipio case on the first day and been using it with my i4 and dont have issue with the proximity sensor either.Overall im happier with this phone.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think it's a mountain out of a molehill. I don't see why anyone who has the problem can't put it in their pocket and use the headphones or use a BT headphone. I think the three versions were heralded as game changers and no competition so now the competition sees a chance to slam the iPhone and change some people's perception of it. I understand anyone who has the reception issue it's frustrating and you should be able to hold the phone the way you want but if you know it causes a problem then either give the phone back or try to use other methods to use the phone. If there is a problem when it's in yoyr pocket then I take this all back.

I don't think THAT is acceptable...use headphones or a headset. But its not that serious.

I use the phone left handed. That won't change. But i simply adjusted my grip as to not touch the problem area and that's only in weak areas. It's not that big of a deal.

I think the competition and noniphone owners jump on this because let's be honest, apple furthered the distance between itself and the competition with the iphone 4. They look like specs in the rearview mirror now. Some iphone owners jumped on this as well because many simply buy the iphone as an accessory and want to impress people. Having noniphone people laugh at them with duct tape is a blow to them.

It's always been human nature to rationalize purchases or what product you use. And they do that by tearing down better alternatives to feel good about what their using. Many on sprint, for example, stay because its cheap or they're stuck on a Verizon or whatever. Therefore, they'll tear down AT&T and rip apple just to feel better about their Evo or Pre with their half baked features or build quality.

But in this instance they smelled blood and went after it. Can't make calls on the iphone? Duct tape? Bwahaha. You can bet this won't go away because its all they got.

But its important to remember that most of the them would switch to an iphone asap if offered on a sprint or verizon. They want but can't have and settle for an android instead. To cope, they tear down what it is they really desire.

Last edited:

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
It's always been human nature to rationalize purchases or what product you use. And they do that by tearing down better alternatives to feel good about what their using. Many on sprint, for example, stay because its cheap or they're stuck on a Verizon or whatever. Therefore, they'll tear down AT&T and rip apple just to feel better about their Evo or Pre with their half baked features or build quality. .

My buddy at work is like that. He was first in line to get the Pre. Then the hardware issues surfaced on the one's built first. Then Palm's appstore didn't blossom like Apple's. Then he dropped his phone and the sleep wake button broke. Through it all, he justified and rationalize it as a good purchase while saying he'd never go Apple because of _______.

Every now and then I'll rib him about it since Palm filed for bankruptcy and HP now owns them, which means HP will probably run what's left of Palm into the ground.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
But its important to remember that most of the them would switch to an iphone asap if offered on a sprint or verizon.

Bingo!! reception problems and all I bet if there was an iPhone 4 on Verizon or T-Mobile the same people going on and on about the iPhone 4 would be the same ones lining up for an iPhone 4.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
that's where i'm kind of at with all of this except i am well aware of the issues and why

the presser might be the deal breaker for me

to me having to add a bumper for the device to have better reception is ridiculous

i would have no problem returning mine if it turns out to be an issue. surely they'll get the next iPhone right.... right?

Like anything in life, you have a choice. You don't have to have a bumper on the phone for it to work. The problem only happens if you hold the phone in such a way that you personally bridge the gap in the lower left hand corner. And that's only in low signal areas. So your choice is, change how you hold the phone, or put a bumper/case on it so that you have the freedom to hold it however you want.

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I want to return mine. I drop 3 out of every 5 calls, and the proximity sensor messes up the other two calls.. I have an awesome iPod 4.. However, I won't because I really enjoy the iPhone, already sold my other one. So, i'll just deal.

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I think we're still in the stage where people think Apple will have a fix. It's mostly diehard fans who have phones now. I would say they're not likely to return it.

It's human nature to rationalize decisions. A lot of waiting in line, went through the preorder mess, or are otherwise too invested in Apple to simply return it. It still remains perhaps the best looking smartphone ever with killer features such as best screen out there.

Its hard to break loose when i4 got ahold of ya, Hell i have a little bit of these problems and did i return it? No! I bought my girl one told her mom to upgrade her brother their friend shyt it is still the best thing out there lol

I want to return mine. I drop 3 out of every 5 calls, and the proximity sensor messes up the other two calls.. I have an awesome iPod 4.. However, I won't because I really enjoy the iPhone, already sold my other one. So, i'll just deal.

I dont have the prox thing going on but i can make some bars drop( now with a case it only goes down one bar) The phone is only one part of this 3 out of 5 is a bit much but a drop here and there so what. Right?

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That's the thing, I'm not exactly a "fanboy" but I do think it's still the best phone on the market when it's actually connecting calls. So, I'm happy with my phone with the problems.

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm returning mine today to AT&T and getting a new one from Apple (it arrived today on reserve). Engadget said that there may be a possibility that the units manufactured after week 25 may not have the antenna issue. I went to a local AT&T store yesterday that had two iphone 4s on display: on one, I could replicate the problem easily, on the other, the signal stayed strong no matter what. I didn't know to look at the serial number at the time, so I can't comment on that, but I'm hoping that a new iPhone will be good. However, if the issue is present and it's the only issue, I'll keep the new one because I like it so much, and I'll work around it.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
i complain ALOT about the iPhone 4's proximity Sensor cause its a P.I.T.A but when i begin to play around with apps and all the other cool features this device offers, i really dont want to return it... oh well, no more b!tchin from me...atleast for now :D

rotchcrocket04

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I swapped mine for another yesterday. Does that count? Lol - I can't go without this one though. Playing with my 2G the other day was a giant let down. Haha

(Note: I swapped mine b/c Apple believed I had a defective unit.)

easyrun99

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I returned mine (and my wife's), not due to any antenna issues or quality issues, but simply that AT&T's coverage for our area was lacking...being in a relatively rural area, AT&T has little motivation to expand 3G to our area given their focus on their new 4G roll out and catching up in highly populated areas...seemed like a watse of $ to pay for a data phone on EDGE when, at this time, VZW has 3G in our area.

I'll patiently wait for either a VZW iPhone or AT&T expansion....might not be a bad idea to wait since the next iteration will undoubtedly be 4G ready...

anon(536616)

Jun 4, 2006
Visit site
I have to admit, I have/had the antenna problem to a tee but bought a black bumper and for me the problem is essentially resolved. I like the bumper well enough that I don't consider my having to use it as a problem. And, I guess I'll be getting a bumper refund!

I have the proximity issue too but I'm convinced at this point that that problem will be going way with the next update. So, NOPE, not returning the phone.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Right now I know 5 people with an iPhone 4, not including myself. Three more of my co-workers have them on order and should get them soon.

I know zero people who have returned it for a refund. Now, a friend exchanged his because the speaker on the bottom stopped working. I also exchanged mine because the camera lense on the back was cracked and also I was having 3G data connection problems (which probably was related too AT&T's software problems in a few areas).

I have no plans to return mine. I can't get the death grip to work on mine but I use a case anyway.

Last edited:

CutRiteFX

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I have seen this issue in low reception areas. But I have a case so there is no problem. It's really not a big deal as people are making it. Too many rumors flying around now. I had a friend telling me that apple is doing a recall on them. hahah. He had no clue. What would make me angry is if they came out with another version with in a few months.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
For people who don't want to use a case, I read that the Zagg Invisible Shield solves the "death touch" issue. You just need to apply the side skins so that (at least) the lower left corner antenna gap is covered.
A caee or skin doesn't solve "death grip" which is common to many/most phones. Nothing solves that but to avoid holding it, but the deth touch is easily remedied if you have a problem.

PreMaster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
For those who say wait it out.. wait out what? its a hardware flaw. there is nothing to wait out.. BTW still waiting for that ipad wifi fix. Id say this, return this phone now as its a heaping pile of poop. Its joketasking is such a laugh. Dont let steve sell you a bunk device and then rub it in.. dont be a sucker. return this pos and get the next droid device or if your an OS snob like me.. get a palm device with a real OS and not this locked down weak signal money pit.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2